South Ridge of City Creek Canyon - January 28, 2023

scatman

I started out with micro-spikes on this hike, but soon switched over to snowshoes as I began to sink in quite a bit. That should make @kwc happy. :) I read this past week that we are having the best winter in twenty years here in SLC, and I won't argue with that. We have had storm after storm roll through this winter.

01.jpg
Getting ready at the trailhead

02.jpg
I loved this shot. A little patch of blue sky behind the summit of Mount Wire to the southeast

03.jpg
Deer tracks coming off the hill

04.jpg
The sun popped out for a bit, and it caused me to overheat.

05.jpg
Beginning to work my way around the Avenues Twin Peaks. The snow is deep on the west side of the two peaks

06.jpg
Shoreline Trail

07.jpg
Off the Shoreline Trail and heading towards the North Avenues Twin Peak

08.jpg
A lone sagebrush as I climb the ridge

09.jpg
First view down into City Creek

10.jpg
Storming at the top of Black Mountain

11.jpg
The Dude Benchmark across City Creek

12.jpg
The summit of Burro Peak is in the clouds

13.jpg
Lichens

14.jpg
Dark clouds moving in

15.jpg
One other person had made they way along the ridge

16.jpg
Mount Wire to the southeast

17.jpg
Stansbury Island in the sunshine to the west

18.jpg
Those trees on the north slope of Black Mountain look cold

19.jpg
Snowshoes and poles shot

20.jpg
Looking back at the Avenues Twin Peaks, with the Oquirrh Mountains in sunlight across
the Salt Lake Valley

21.jpg
Another shot looking back, but not zoomed in this time

22.jpg
Sunlit Antelope Island and Frary Peak just over the north ridge of City Creek Canyon

23.jpg
My nose might be running in this one. :)

24.jpg
Interesting clouds on my way back

25.jpg
Another shot of the Oquirrhs across the valley

26.jpg
Hmmm............................... I guess a good winter can be bad for the deer

27.jpg
Back at the Jeep, and @Rockskipper, I may need a smooth Tennessee Whiskey after this one. See if you can have Price send me up
their finest. :D

The End.

nice! I need to get up there. you might not think it but I've had some scary conditions up on the Little Black ridgeline with huge cornices and such

Good to see that Utah is getting so much snow this winter. Yellowstone is also getting hammered. Here in the SW enough rain has fallen that maybe a good flower bloom here in the spring. The whole west needs all of this moisture because of the drought the last few years. Always do love your trip reports and photos. Thanks for posting!

nice! I need to get up there. you might not think it but I've had some scary conditions up on the Little Black ridgeline with huge cornices and such

I had a big storm roll up on me when I was trying to make Perkin's Peak along Parley's ridge from the valley side one year in the first week of April. It was my first time attempting Perkin's. I could see the dark cloud move fast across the valley from the west. I was on the little scramble section just before the summit when it overtook me. It was white out conditions. Might have been the scariest situation that I have ever been in in the backcountry. I just followed the ridge back down as best I could. Eventually, I started hearing the traffic in Parleys so I knew I was heading in the right direction. I breathed a big sigh of relief when I made it back to the Jeep.

Good to see that Utah is getting so much snow this winter. Yellowstone is also getting hammered. Here in the SW enough rain has fallen that maybe a good flower bloom here in the spring. The whole west needs all of this moisture because of the drought the last few years. Always do love your trip reports and photos. Thanks for posting!

Going to need some of that snow to melt up north by June 22nd for my Wyoming Range trip. :)