South Fork of High Creek and Middle Fork - Mount Naomi Wilderness - June 1, 2024

scatman

I headed up to Lewiston in Cache Valley on Friday with Sheila so that she could ride the Little Red bicycle ride on Saturday morning. While she road, I headed over to the Mount Naomi Wilderness in the Bear River Range to hike up the South Fork of High Creek. The South Fork of High Creek was living up to its name this time of year, and when I reached the second crossing I had to turn back due to deep, raging water. I then backtracked to the intersection with the Middle Fork Trail and headed up towards Middle Fork Falls. Unfortunately, I hit my turn around time before reaching the falls. Wildflowers, particularly glacier lilies and canary violets were abundant along the trail. After I turned around and started heading back to the trailhead, a group of Utah State University students passed me and told me that I had been within a quarter mile of the falls. I guess I'll just have to reach them next year. :) I hiked back down to the Subaru parked at the trailhead and drove back to Lewiston, where I picked up my camp chair and headed to the finish line to wait for Sheila. I had just barely set up my chair and started to eat an apple when Sheila turned the corner from Main Street onto Center Street heading to the finish. Afterwards, we packed up our tent and headed over to Gossner's for some cheese curd. We bought three kinds: smoked, jalapeno, and ranch to bring home to munch on over the next few days.

01.jpg
And she is off!

02.jpg
And I am off the the trailhead

03.jpg
Can get all the way to Tony Grove from the High Creek Trailhead

04.jpg
The South Fork of High Creek

05.jpg
A stream running down the trail at the beginning

06.jpg
Crossing the wilderness boundary

07.jpg
The first crossing of the South Fork was easy enough. :)

08.jpg
Ball-head waterleaf were abundant too

09.jpg
Baneberry

10.jpg

11.jpg
More South Fork

12.jpg
13.jpg
Arnica

14.jpg
Middle Fork Trail junction

17.jpg
Looks like the taller peaks in the range still have some good snow on them

17b.jpg
Glacier lilies

18.jpg
Larkspur

19.jpg
Oregon grape

20.jpg
21.jpg
When I'm hiking along a creek, I get lots of creek pictures. What can I say? :)

22.jpg
An occasional view above

23.jpg
Snow on Middle Fork

24.jpg
Fellow Aggies that passed me after I turned around

25.jpg
More violets

26.jpg
One last shot of the South Fork

27.jpg
Another option at the High Creek Trailhead is the North Fork High Creek Trail. I'll have
to give that a go sometime in the future.

28.jpg
A Llama on my way back to Lewiston

29.jpg
The final stretch on Center Street.

30.jpg
Congrats! Cold towel and a lemonade should do the trick!

31.jpg
The curd makes it home.

Last edited:
Looks like a nice hike even though you didn't make it to the falls!

The ex-Wisconsinite in me is jealous of the curds. Hope they squeaked!

Looks like a nice hike even though you didn't make it to the falls!

The ex-Wisconsinite in me is jealous of the curds. Hope they squeaked!

Squeaky Cheese! I brought the bag of smoked curd to the office so that my coworkers could squeak along with me. The jalapeno (my favorite) and the ranch (Sheila likes) will be consumed at home. :)

Yeah, it was a nice hike. I've summited Mount Naomi before, but I approached it from the other side of the wilderness. This was my first time hiking in on the western side. I'll definitely go back at some point when the creeks have died down a bit though. :)

Back