Snowy Dawn Traverse on Deer Ridge

Ugly

Life really is better Here
The first part of this might be a bit of a drag, but you can skip it if you like and go straight to the photos.

This summer my current hometown decided that a common hiking spot will soon return to the neighborhood developing that it was saved from almost a decade ago. This spot has its own charm that has grown on me. It is interesting to hike on roads, water mains, even a hydrant returning to the sand, rabbit brush and scrub oak it was carved from. The trail starts high, has views and is relatively easy. This made it ideal for the kiddos after dinner, or for an early morning jaunt, a sunset stroll, and even a lunchtime wander.

Sure there will likely be new trails built around the 30 homes, -my hometown has a ton of great trails winding in the scrub oak- including one I can almost step onto at the end of my street. However, in spite of all the arguments and counterarguments, petitions, whatever... I will feel a loss when this actually kinda homely, but sublime, area is turned into homes. I stay out of politics for the most part, but this will be a winterized memoir of a wonderful place that will soon change.
This place is where one son was introduced to the scent and sight of a porcupine, my youngest daughter to being able to touch the clouds, my children learned the force of wind, and many other fond memories.

----
Saturday I pulled my 14 year old out of bed at an early, freezing hour, packed her some hot chocolate in a thermos. Of course, hiding the fact it was caramel, as it is one of the few things we really disagree over. (spoiler: She drank it later anyhow). Then we made the drive. It's a couple miles as the bird flies to the high point of the ridge, but it's more than twice that in trail miles and even more in road miles, so we cheat.

The winds were calm. Temps were as expected. I pulled on my tuque, puffy and gloves and we took off at a gait to warm up on the really just skiff of new snow.

The ensuing light show was fantastic.
We only saw one other person, a trail runner, until we were almost back to the Magenta Moneypit. Though I heard some women's voices partway through laughing on a lower trail. We ended up not making it to the high point, as we had to be back and I was too slow taking pictures. Plus, we took a long break talking about high school with the caramel hot chocolate.

The rest of this is just photos of the views.
The location along the ridge has views of two valleys, Lone Peak, Timpanogas, Box Elder, the Oquirrhs and all the way to Nebo on one side, Antelope Island and farther north on the other. I especially like Lone Peak. So I will let the pics tell the rest of the story.

Commence the light show.
Traverse Ridge Sunrise 12-180010-proc-n-small.jpg

Traverse Ridge Sunrise 12-180017-recipe.jpg

Traverse Ridge Sunrise 12-180061-proc.jpg

She really was smiling.
Traverse Ridge Sunrise 12-180070.jpg

Traverse Ridge Sunrise 12-180071.jpg

Lone Peak with it's forming lenticular clouds was fantastic.
Traverse Ridge Sunrise 12-180076.jpg

Traverse Ridge Sunrise 12-180100-small-crop.jpg

Traverse Ridge Sunrise 12-180126.jpg

Then sparkly snow and sunshine to warm the face and soul.
Deer tracks.
Traverse Ridge Sunrise 12-180148-proc.jpg

zoomed outTraverse Ridge Sunrise 12-180207-proc.jpg

Lone Peak
I spent a long time watching this, until my daughter was really bored.
Traverse Ridge Sunrise 12-180215-recipe.jpg

Even some autumn hanging on
Traverse Ridge Sunrise 12-180226.jpg

The road back home
Traverse Ridge Sunrise 12-180245.jpg

Traverse Ridge Sunrise 12-180250.jpg

Traverse Ridge Sunrise 12-180256 proc.jpg

All the different lighting and fantastic views!
Like different shades of a dream.
Thanks for sharing!

First picture is amazing. Those views are oddly relaxing. Though not 100% nature/remote you are set apart from the hustle and bustle of the city. Everyone is off doing their thing on a schedule down there while you just...relax. Love it.

Awesome way to start a day. Really like the first photo

Really like how you captured the coming of a new day! The second one is my favourite. Extra points for getting a 14 year old out at that hour on a winter weekend.

thanks all.
There is something very nice of having some "quiet" accessible areas. It will be disruptive to my close to home wanderings once this starts to get worked on that is for sure. I will have to stay on some other trails.