Snow levels in the Uintas - 2012

Amazing what a difference from last year. So anyone heard when they'll have the Mirror Lake Highway open? I can't imagine later than mid-May at this rate, right?

Amazing what a difference from last year. So anyone heard when they'll have the Mirror Lake Highway open? I can't imagine later than mid-May at this rate, right?

As of the 27th the road was open up to about a half mile of the Trial Lake turn-in.

Sent from my HTC Sensation 4G using Tapatalk 2

I called the Kamas ranger district yesterday and they said the first of June. They get their info from UDOT I guess. They also said the developed campgrounds up to Shady Dell should be open for Memorial Day.

I called the Kamas ranger district yesterday and they said the first of June. They get their info from UDOT I guess. They also said the developed campgrounds up to Shady Dell should be open for Memorial Day.

I'd put $100 on that highway being open well before June 1. They're just being conservative.

I'd put $100 on that highway being open well before June 1. They're just being conservative.
And I totally agree especially with only 3 feet at Trial. Last year there was about 4 foot deep snow on the side of the road when they were clearing it. The very next week it was almost gone. Viva La Uintas!

Wohoo. this means i might actually be able to get my mountain fix before I leave for work

Yellowstone 1 and I went up there today, May 6th 2012. We were able to drive all the way to the Trial Lake turnoff and a little beyond. Granted, the last half mile to a mile was on patchy snow, but it is melting fast. I can't imagine that even with natural snow melt alone that the Mirror Lake Highway won't be open within two weeks. We also hiked up Shingle Creek, more on that later.

P.S. I'm seriously considering a quick overnight backpack up there this coming weekend. Who's with me!? Details here (members only).

Provo River Falls totally accessible now:
IMG_9055.jpg

The Trial Lake turnoff:
IMG_9052.jpg

IMG_9042.jpg

looks totally promising, wow. :twothumbs:
I could be tempted to try an overnighter end of June when in the area.
Just need to figure out which trail would fit my needs, because I've never been in the Uintas.

looks totally promising, wow. :twothumbs:
I could be tempted to try an overnighter end of June when in the area.
Just need to figure out which trail would fit my needs, because I've never been in the Uintas.

If there's one area of Utah I know pretty well, it's the Uintas. Let me know if you end up having time for it.

If there's one area of Utah I know pretty well, it's the Uintas. Let me know if you end up having time for it.

an overnighter should be possible for me.
I never expected to visit the Uintas this year, but the lack of snow and possibly open trails so early looks so promising, I really should do a quick overnighter.
Looking forward to your trip next weekend and you can be sure that I'll ask for your help for a possible short backpacking trip.

Somehow I'll end up this year with everything totally different than originally planned. :D

A huge Hell Yeah high five to nick for helping with the rope work yesterday. We had a great hike and fantastic weather.

UDOT has it listed I think for the 26th of May.