Smoke Map ........ 2023

Had a fair amount of smoke even here in Nebraska today. Too early for this nonsense.

The smoke from large wildfires further north moved into our area of Alberta on Tuesday. It was tolerable that morning, when starting out on a ridgewalk SW of Calgary, but got much worse through the day. At least we only have the smoke to contend with- there have been mass evacuations in some communities.
P1010803-copy-2.jpg
This picture was taken as the smoke really intensified, it was either/or in terms of distance back, so we continued on, without the usual great views.
Wednesday was off the charts horrible, so thick here that the sun was completely obscured. It's looking a little bit better this morning and forecast to improve over the next 2 days, according to the Firesmoke.ca forecast:
Screen-Shot-2023-05-18-at-8.08.48-AM.jpg
Unlike much of the American west, this was a low snowpack winter for most of BC and Alberta, with a very warm and dry spring thus far.

Last edited:
I'm in Indiana visiting family, and it's faintly smoky even out here. Not enough to affect air quality too much, but enough that the sunlight looks off and the sky isn't really blue.

I'm getting ready to buy a little camper and spend the summer camping, maybe not such a good idea - smoke and heat.

the good news is we're living in the future! the bad news is the future is fire season all year.

Sadly, up here in BC we only had an average snowfall this season......The way above average heat wave we are experiencing in all of BC and Alberta is incredibly bad news :(

So early!!!
Iʻm really glad I do not have to deal with the nasty air quality and fires anymore.
We do get brushfires here as well, but usually, it rains within a few days, and the fires are dowsed pretty soon

the smoke arrived in SLC today, wasn't too bad this morning but it's disgusting now

My brother, who lives in Boulder (CO), went for walk today and thought it was odd that there was thick fog everywhere. Didn't realize it was smoke.

We had visibility down under a couple miles yesterday. Today was pretty much clear of smoke by evening though.

My brother, who lives in Boulder (CO), went for walk today and thought it was odd that there was thick fog everywhere. Didn't realize it was smoke.
We actually had thick fog, down here bit south of Boulder anyway. Wettest freaking May.

But yeah when it burned off it still looked foggy lol. Worst air quality in the world according to the news. Not sure what the metric is (other than hyping for clicks). Been working outside last two days and we have definitely had worse going by my burning nose/throat metric.

Went to the wildlife refuge in Denver yesterday for a bit of a walk and drive to see some bison. North Denver was extremely hazy with almost zero visibility of Long's Peak and the foothills - which are usually easily visible from that area.

Hazy/smoky sky in SE Michigan yesterday and today. Sure enough, the map shows the darkest gray over us. Now that the gloomy, cloudy winter is behind us, I would really like to see blue sky on a nice day. It would go well with the lilac, peony, iris, columbine, and valerian flowers that are taking center stage in my garden right now!

Similar threads
Thread starter Title Forum Replies Date
kwc Smoke on the water … fire in the sky … General Discussion 6
balzaccom McGee Creek--Fire (smoke) Rain, Winded and rockslides... Trip Reports 0
Wanderlust073 Smoke Condition Reports Everything Else 28
IlVagabondo Montana Smoke General Discussion 14
westy Smoke is really ....... me off. Any suggestions? General Discussion 3
balzaccom Ansel Adams Wilderness--smoke and mirrors Backpacking 8
RyanP predicting smoke/haze levels Trip Planning 7
westy Got smoke? Trip Planning 6
fossana Favorite map resources General Discussion 17
W Paper map for Teton Wilderness (Younts Peak) Gear 4
J Needles Dist 2022 BC Zone Map Resource Discussions 1
kansas Good map of Grand Canyon-Parashant National Monument? Trip Planning 5
Bob Drought map General Discussion 6
fossana Anyone know what happened to the USGS topo map API? General Discussion 12
Bob Map Download for Avenza Trip Planning 0
blueeyes What does this mean on a map? Trip Planning 9
3 Grand Canyon Traverse - Map? Trip Planning 0
N Caltopo map scale for backpacking trip Resource Discussions 7
Artemus Grizzly Bear Expansion Map General Discussion 23
Mike Jones Built a Custom Map Board for protecting my maps while hiking Gear 9
Nick New Snotel Map Resource General Discussion 4
DrNed Map for Coyote Gulch Trip Planning 6
Jammer Across Utah Map Trip Planning 7
Aldaron Trimble Map/Battery Gear 6
Noun Sequitur Weird Map Stuff General Discussion 69
Aldaron Open Street Map General Discussion 5
Nick Uintas Mega Map Trip Planning 28
uintahiker Map Exchange Trip Planning 1
intuitive cat Escalante River System Springs & Surface Water Map Trip Planning 6
TrailScot PCT Survey 2023 General Discussion 12
Tim Valentine Eastern Sierra Backpack 2023 Backpacking 16
TrailScot Escalante Loop via Dry Hollow and Boulder Mail Trail - September 2023 Backpacking 8
Tweedie Weminuche off-Trail from Elk Park to Needleton 2023 (Via Vestal, Balsam, Noname and Ruby) Backpacking 15
Noun Sequitur 2023 Road Trips Everything Else 1
TrailScot Day hike in the Upper East Side of Zion - October 2023 Hiking & Camping 5
TractorDoc Paintbrush Canyon / Cascade Canyon Loop -- Grand Teton NP September 11, 2023 Hiking & Camping 9
TractorDoc Yellowstone's Gallatin River -- September 7-9th 2023 Backpacking 12
BobFink Mirror Plateau via Pelican Valley and Pelican Creek, July / August 2023 Backpacking 12
wsp_scott Yellowstone Lake to Brooks Lake (Aug 2023) Backpacking 16
TrailScot Golden Throne Circuit - Capitol Reef - October 2023 Hiking & Camping 5
BeardoMcGrath Fiftymile Mountain rim and ruins tour: 13 May 2023 Hiking & Camping 12
BeardoMcGrath Willow/Fortymile Exploration: 10-12 May 2023 Backpacking 9
TrailScot Upper Paria Loop Hike - September 2023 Backpacking 4
Jackson 2023 on the Gravel Bike Off Road 8
TrailScot Capitol Reef NP - 5 Day Backpacking Adventure from Chimney Rock to Burro Wash - October 2023 Backpacking 10
TractorDoc Yellowstone's Thorofare and the Teton Wilderness 08/09/2023 - 08/18/2023 Part Nine / Day Nine + Ten! Backpacking 20
Mikjik86 Backpacking Indian Peaks Wilderness - King Lake - August, 2023 Backpacking 0
TractorDoc Yellowstone's Thorofare and the Teton Wilderness 08/09/2023 - 08/18/2023 Part Eight / Day Eight Backpacking 14
TrailScot Dayhiking the Under-the-Rim Trail - Bryce Canyon NP - October 2023 Hiking & Camping 4
fossana New Zion NP advisory for toxic cyanobacteria 11.08.2023 General Discussion 6