Sleeping

usually I'm so tired at the end of the day that I fall asleep super easy. I wake up frequently at night, but tjis happens to me at home too because I always have a hard time breathing while sleeping and wake up of my own snoring. Ha ha.

I used to have a regular sized sleeping pad and always rolled off it, because the width wasn't wide enough for me. I had a hard time falling back to sleep but since I replaced my Thermarest with a large one this issue is gone and I can sleep pretty good while camping. It's just the snoring thing right now.

As someone who snores I really like this!
10864953_743000489123954_582941402_a.jpg

I sleep better when backpacking than sleeping by the truck in a campground. More tired from a day of hiking.

Now if I can't use my hammock the sleep isn't nearly as good. Of course I sleep in a hammock every night so a hammock on the trail is like home without central air and heat.

I think most of my troubles have been with pads not insulating my backside enough. I've gotten a higher R value pad so I'll see how that works when I use it.

Your first post described me to a tee in years past. I'm a side-sleeper, and a snorer, and someone who tosses and turns. The thing that made the biggest difference for me was a klymit cush seat/pillow. Best $15 I ever spent. I had one develop a small pinhole on a seam once, and they replaced it for a new one. Klymit is local to Ogden, and it completely changed my sleeping experience. It can be rolled up into 4ths or 3rds or in half, to accomodate different heights.

dsc_1030-copy.png

dsc_1004-copy1.png

dsc_0998-copy1.png

As a side-sleeper, I need a tall pillow so my neck isn't slanty all night. There's even a nice little ear pocket so your ear doesn't get smashed. If you're a side sleeper, check it out, it's definitely worth a $15 experiment.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...&tag=backcountrypo-20&linkId=TF7U3FKDXGP6R2IN

I also sleep with an Enlightened Equipment quilt. I like it, but in colder temps I use my mummy bags and don't notice a huge difference in how well I sleep. I think the quilt is 10% comfier, so probably not worth spending $400 just for the comfort rating alone.

The quantity of sleep is inversely proportional to how big the bear poop piles are and how many twigs snap during the night. Some nights I spend a lot of time looking at the tent ceiling. There is a lot to be said for getting completely exhausted before you turn in, but that usually only lasts until the ibuprofen wears off.

I usually don't sleep too well even without bears so sort of in the same boat.
I too have an irrational (you may have more reason than I do) fear of bears... I have yet to see one while hiking.

The single biggest thing for me was to switch over to semi-rectangular bags, I can move my legs, toss and turn etc. The Western Mountaineering 40 degree Mitylite has taken me down to the lower 30's and has lots of room. I also have a down pillow, and the Xped mattress rocks, allows me to sleep on my side.
Steve, that pillow looks very comfy, I might have to look into that.

As another side sleeper, I just ordered one of those pillows, Steve. Looking forward to trying it out next weekend!

Excellent. Let me know how you like it. So far everyone I've recommended it to has loved it.

I bought one too. Can't beat the price. I inflate it then wrap my fleece around it. Helps it from sliding around. Ear hole is nice. Keeps your head/neck nice and level when side sleeping. Great find thank you!

I finally used my Klymit Cush for a couple nights of backpacking this past weekend. BEST. PILLOW. EVER. I've been using the Exped Air Pillow UL up until now. It cost like $50 and is always slipping away. Total POS compared to the Cush and nearly 4 times the price. Never using it again and maybe even getting a second Cush. I can't say enough good things about it.

yeah, i'm surprised we don't see more press about these little gems. They make SUCH a difference for a good night's sleep. Glad to hear the word is getting out.

How well do you guys usually sleep while camping? I continue to struggle to get a good nights rest anytime that I am sleeping in a tent. On big trips when I completely wear myself out during the day I sleep okay, but if I haven't completely exhausted myself I am lucky to get 5 hours in the tent.

At home I am a pretty restless sleeper most nights and tend to re-position a lot through the night, so when I do that in my sleeping bag I get all twisted up. I have yet to find a good solution.
You might try a quilt, as some others have suggested. Better than a mummy for those who find themselves getting twisted up. Take a look at Katabatic or Enlightened Equipement?

I personally don't expect to sleep as well on the trail, simply because I need to be more aware. If it's raining at home, I don't care. If it's raining on the trail, it might be a good idea to close my tent door. That and it's a little bit less comfortable. However, getting a greater number of hours of sleep generally makes up for the times I wake up during the night.

I've been using the Exped Air Pillow UL up until now. It cost like $50 and is always slipping away.
Never had a problem with mine. I think I paid $30 for it. If I didn't already have a pillow that works I'd get the Klymit as it's half of what I paid, but this one is working for me.

I always praised my Exped despite it's slippery nature. Maybe it's just that I'm a side sleeper, but I'd pay $100 for the Klymit knowing what I know now. $15 is a no brainer to at least try out, IMO.