Sleeping bag help

Congrats on the new bag Yvonne! I hope it fits your needs for a winter bag. It looks like a winner! It will be interesting to see what happens when I get my new bag. Nick said the North Face bags are pretty roomy, so hopefully it will work. If not I'll go to REI and actually try some bags out before buying. I guess I could have just done that in the first place.:p
Both my bags (20 deg & 0 deg) are North Face and I like them. They are synthetic and I would like a down one!

I'm sure most already know this - but throwing it out there anyways. Women sleep colder than men, so a women's 0 degree bag is warmer than a men's 0 degree bag. just something to keep in mind. And I definitely like marmot's bags, favorite brand.

for myself, I have a marmot never winter 30 degree bag. its nice, but its not super light (like 2lb 7 oz or something like that). i'm looking at getting the marmot plasma 15 (1lb 15/16 oz) and the western mountaineering highlight bag (1 lb!) for my bag upgrades.

kind of late to the party and people have already decided what they want, but for my two cents I like REI down bags. I have a 15 degree one from a few years back and love it. I've taken it right down the 15 degree mark whilst sleeping my underwear and a t-shirt and slept comfortably.
I also have the REI 45 degree down filled bag and love it to.

my new sleeping bag(Marmot Ouray 0F down) arrived today and I'm totally happy with it.
My first impression is great, the bag is lighter than I expected. And there is a lot of space in it, even in the shoulder/hip area.
Okay, I'm only 5'4 and slim, so this sleeping perfectly fits my size.
I can't wait to use it.

my new sleeping bag(Marmot Ouray 0F down) arrived today and I'm totally happy with it.
My first impression is great, the bag is lighter than I expected. And there is a lot of space in it, even in the shoulder/hip area.
Okay, I'm only 5'4 and slim, so this sleeping perfectly fits my size.
I can't wait to use it.

Glad you like it Yvonne! I got mine the other day, too. I can zip it, thankfully, but it's snug. I was a little surprised by how short it is. I'm only 5'3", and since the short is supposed to fit up to 5'6" I figured I would have a little extra room in the footbox. I may see if they will let me exchange it for the longer version so that I can fit clothes at the footbox to keep them warm for the next day.

Glad you like it Yvonne! I got mine the other day, too. I can zip it, thankfully, but it's snug. I was a little surprised by how short it is. I'm only 5'3", and since the short is supposed to fit up to 5'6" I figured I would have a little extra room in the footbox. I may see if they will let me exchange it for the longer version so that I can fit clothes at the footbox to keep them warm for the next day.

I was surprised about the length of my bag. My summer bag is much shorter and this one has plenty of room in the footbox.
I double checked the tag on it, but it is the women's version. Anyway, I love the extra space, so I can keep my clothes warm overnight.
Hope you can exchange your bag.

Any chance that you can test one in a store? So you can see if it fits.

I was surprised about the length of my bag. My summer bag is much shorter and this one has plenty of room in the footbox.
I double checked the tag on it, but it is the women's version. Anyway, I love the extra space, so I can keep my clothes warm overnight.
Hope you can exchange your bag.

Any chance that you can test one in a store? So you can see if it fits.

I already looked at REI and they don't have it in store, but if they will let me exchange for the longer one it should be fine. The one I got fits, but there's no extra room to put things in the bottom of my bag. The longer one also has an extra inch or two of room in the shoulders and hips, so the fit wouldn't be quite as snug either. I emailed customer service to see if they will let me exchange it, so I guess we'll see.

I already looked at REI and they don't have it in store, but if they will let me exchange for the longer one it should be fine. The one I got fits, but there's no extra room to put things in the bottom of my bag. The longer one also has an extra inch or two of room in the shoulders and hips, so the fit wouldn't be quite as snug either. I emailed customer service to see if they will let me exchange it, so I guess we'll see.
Yayyyy! I am so glad it fits! I am certain REI will let you exchange it, the store on the east-side of Salt Lake has always been awesome about returns/exchanges.

Yayyyy! I am so glad it fits! I am certain REI will let you exchange it, the store on the east-side of Salt Lake has always been awesome about returns/exchanges.

It fits, but it's tighter than the skin on a weenie!:lol: I've always slept in rectangular sleeping bags up until now, so the mummy style will be an adjustment, but it seems super warm and at least I can still roll on my side comfortably.

I'm not a fan of mummy sleeping bags....I ended up going with a semi-rectangular bag. It's not a rectangle, but it's not quite a mummy either....I love the room and it's still lightweight...best of both worlds!

I'm not a fan of mummy sleeping bags....I ended up going with a semi-rectangular bag. It's not a rectangle, but it's not quite a mummy either....I love the room and it's still lightweight...best of both worlds!
What bag do you have?

What bag do you have?

Western Mountaineering Sycamore MF

It was a little pricey, but I think it will be worth it to me. I'm 6'5" and got the Long version, which is plenty long and has plenty of room inside for me. I like that you can unzip the foot section and that the bag completely unzips so that it can be used as a comforter, too.

westerntmn-21_SM.jpg

http://www.westernmountaineering.com/index.cfm?section=products&page=Sleeping Bags&cat=Microfiber Series&ContentId=21

I spoke to Sunny Sports customer service (where I ordered my bag from) about exchanging my bag for the long. I got mine on a killer sale. $150 for a bag that's almost double the price at REI. The bags have gone up in price since I ordered and the long version sells at a slightly higher price point, so they said they'd exchange it, but the best price they'd offer me on the long is $230. I got out the good old measuring tape and decided that $80 for an extra 6 inches in length just isn't worth it, so I'm planning to keep the bag I've got. I've made it this far camping without putting my clothes in my bag to keep them warm, so I think I'll manage without the extra room. That fact that it is so snug will probably keep me warmer anyway. Since I don't plan to do any backpacking during the winter, I think I got a great value for a three season bag.:)

Yeah, I never put clothes in my bag. I need them to make a pillow!

Haha, good call. :) I actually bought a backpacking pillow. It's an Exped air pillow, and I tested it out when I got it. That little thing is the shiz! I'm a pillow girl. I take a full size pillow car camping and when I stay in motels (their pillows suck!), and at home I sleep with a couple pillows so an actual pillow is important to me. I wasn't sure how I'd like it, but it's pretty damn comfortable! It's contoured to fit nicely where your neck meets your shoulders, you can easily adjust how full you want it to be, and at 3 ounces it's like carrying nothing at all.