Shoshone Geyser Basin, Yellowstonne 2022, 2nd half

Pringles

Days 4 and 5.

We ate breakfast, and then packed up to head back toward one of the sites near Lonestar Geyser. I’d been at the site before, and was nervous about it. The thermals are close, and I was concerned about where we were going to put all our tents. But we’d figure it out.

20220802_083331.jpg

Another stream crossing.

20220802_111100.jpg

Near our campsite, we were passed by a couple of strings of mules.

20220802_134105.jpg

20220802_134127.jpg

I’m glad I’m not a mule. I hate hiking close to a bunch of other hikers. I like to go my own pace. I like to see what I want to see.

When we got to camp, we were surprised by mules. The people doing the trail work a mile or so ahead, were doing staging with the mules.

20220802_144712.jpg

20220802_144725.jpg

Our enjoyment of the site was cut short by a rain storm. I had requested a weather report from my InReach, and I laughed as it said that there was a 100% chance of rain—15 minutes ago. Ha!

Plop. Plop. Plop, plop, plop…. . It rained fairly hard, and for about two hours. When it finally stopped, we got out of our tents and ate our final supper together.

20220802_154643.jpg

In the morning, there was a beautiful foggy mist over the thermal area beside camp.

20220803_071550.jpg

20220803_071555.jpg

20220803_071743.jpg

We hiked past the same thermals we had hiked by on our way to the geyser basin.

20220803_101300.jpg

Once at the trailhead, we headed to the Old Faithful area to see Old Faithful.

20220803_123214.jpg

And… I found ice cream! Note to self—even out of focus ice cream tastes pretty good.

Attachments

• 20220803_124010.jpg
    20220803_124010.jpg
    482.4 KB · Views: 4
  • 20220803_131128.jpg
    20220803_131128.jpg
    339.8 KB · Views: 5
Last edited:
Nice reports! and that shot of the sun rising through the mist is especially great!

Thank you, Ugly. (How did you get your trail name?)

Haha, they probably would call me that on the trail too...

Here is a short sidetrack:
It's a nickname from college. I shattered my cheekbone and cracked my skull and spent a few weeks waiting for the swelling to go down, then had surgery and then many more weeks after that recovering. Then months and years doing exercises looking in a mirror to get rid of the "droop" from having damaged the main nerves on that side of the face. (I still am numb and tingly all these years later if I stop and think about it, or touch it)

So basically I looked like TwoFace for a couple months. My real name, Ryan is pretty popular, so everyone took to calling me Ugly, and it stuck.
I had a really excellent plastic surgeon who glued me back together and patched me all back up. If you met me, you won't even see any scars.

TwoFace... when I had the scrapes still on my face, swelling, and drooping it perhaps looked more like I had a stroke, but the comic is probably not far away from what I looked like! My friends would get a kick out of me sitting on the bus with my bad side hidden by looking out the window, and watching the reaction of someone when I turned and started talking to them.
I was high on pain killers, so I only have a hazy memory of all that. :p

1663955426082.png

Similar threads
Thread starter Title Forum Replies Date
P Shoshone Geyser Basin, Yellowstone, 2022 Backpacking 6
Tim Valentine Shoshone Geyser Basin Paddle Trip 2010 On The Water 10
P Yellowstone Shoshone Geyser Basin trip Backpacking 5
scatman Shoshone Lake Lollipop Loop - Yellowstone National Park - July 24, 2022 Backpacking 63
TractorDoc Yellowstone's Shoshone Lake, Ouzel Creek, and Three Rivers Junction -- September 13-16 2021 Backpacking 62
TeamJenkins17 2022 Teton Wilderness/Shoshone National Forest Trip Trip Planning 0
S Washakie: E. Dunoir Creek - Shoshone Pass Info Trip Planning 13
P Question about going around Shoshone Lake in Yellowstone Trip Planning 0
MTNgoat Visiting Shoshone Falls, Idaho and Cauldron Linn Everything Else 8
Bob Shoshone lk - wind rivers fire Trip Planning 0
Joey Backpacking Yellowstone's Shoshone Lake and Mr Bubbles in May Backpacking 15
scatman The Old Faithful Loop - The Exploration of the Shoshone Creek and Firehole River Drainages Backpacking 39
Bob Shoshone Lake to the South Entrance, Yellowstone Backpacking 5
Yellowstone 1 Shoshone Lake via Lewis River Trip Planning 3
HomerJ Yellowstone - Shoshone Lake - 2010 Backpacking 8
P Campsite beyond Lonestar Geyser in Yellowstone Backpacking 5
Stephanie B Second Journey into The Maze : Butterfly Bend and Chaffin Geyser Hiking & Camping 0
P Yellowstone, Lonestar Geyser into the upper Bechler Backpacking 2
scatman Lower and Midway Geyser Basins plus Buffalo Meadows - Yellowstone National Park - June 26, 2016 Backpacking 5
Bob Fly Geyser, Nevada General Discussion 6
Tater Head soda-pop geyser (KSL) General Discussion 4
hatchcanyon Crystal Geyser, Green River General Discussion 4
Nick Yellowstone: Canyon & More Geyser Goodness Hiking & Camping 5
Tarp Boy Looking for Shuttle service for Uintas Granddaddy basin trip Trip Planning 0
S Titcomb Basin week itinerary options? Trip Planning 11
DrNed Naturalist Basin: Blue Lake to Shaler Lake? Trip Planning 12
BobFink Yellowstone South Entrance to Fox Creek via Basin Creek Cutoff - Labor Day 2022 Trip Reports 4
NorthwestWanderer Backpacking Grand Teton National Park : Fossil Pass,Fox Creek Pass,Indian Lake,Alaska Basin,Hurricane Pass,Ice Floe Lake,& Snowdrift Lake Backpacking 19
NorthwestWanderer 8 Day High Sierra trek : Humphreys Basin, Star Col, Granite Park, Lake Italy & Piute Canyon 6/25-7/2/22 Backpacking 7
TractorDoc Yellowstone's Wrangler Lake, Bog Creek, Joseph's Coat Springs, Broad Creek, Wapiti Lake, Hot Springs Basin, and Pelican Valley. The Second Half. Backpacking 15
TractorDoc Yellowstone's Wrangler Lake, Bog Creek, Joseph's Coat Springs, Broad Creek, Wapiti Lake, Hot Springs Basin, and Pelican Valley. Part One of Two. Backpacking 61
WasatchWill WRHR: Day 6 - Titcomb Basin to Beaver Park Backpacking 9
M Kannah Creek Basin loop, Grand Junction CO Backpacking 6
WasatchWill WRHR: Day 5 - Camp Lake to Titcomb Basin Backpacking 15
seekinglost 1000 Mile Nevada Thru Hike on the Basin and Range Trail Trip Reports 14
TeamJenkins17 Looking for info on Clark Creek drainage/Pierpont Pass into Hidden Basin in the Washakie Wilderness Trip Planning 5
Perry Henry's Fork Basin - Camp Site Suggestions Trip Planning 3
NorthwestWanderer Backpacking Idaho's Cecil D. Andrus-White Clouds Wilderness : O'Calkens Lake & Bighorn Basin Backpacking 2
Mountain Wanderer Four Lakes Basin in the Southern Cabinet Mountains - Montana Backpacking 12
OldBill Short Bear Basin exploration, Wind Rivers Trip Planning 7
JuddOutdoors Hike To Grass Lake //Desolation Wilderness //Lake Tahoe Basin Hiking & Camping 0
travel2walk trip report: Wind River Range – Ross Lakes, Bear Basin, Grasshopper Glacier, & Dinwoody Creek loop, Aug-Sep 2020 Trip Reports 41
Jeremy C Early season run to Horseshoe Basin Hiking & Camping 7
WasatchWill Naturalist Basin to Middle Basin? Almost... Backpacking 6
Mountain Wanderer High Uintas Wilderness - Granddaddy Basin Backpacking 4
NorthwestWanderer Backpacking the Lost River Range in Idaho : Bear Creek Lake & Upper Basin Backpacking 7
Cait Hell's Kitchen Basin - Old Pack Trail post Box Fire Trip Reports 3
WoodyBR549 Wild Basin Trip Planning 2
misSOULa Into the Winds: Titcomb Basin and Gannett Peak Attempt Backpacking 6
Mike K Kings Peak Via Garfield Basin Backpacking 18