Sevenmile Hole - YNP

scatman

My family is heading to Yellowstone next week for two nights in the backcountry and I thought I'd share a map of our route. We will be heading in at the Glacial Boulder trailhead and hiking 5 miles to campsite 4C2 located at Sevenmile Hole in the Grand Canyon of the Yellowstone. On our second day we will be doing a day hike of seven miles round trip to Washburn Hot Springs. I'm getting antsy to go already!

Sevenmile_Hole.jpg

Very nice! Should be a lot of bear activity up there especially up towards the hot springs.
Be safe and Happy Trails…..

Might want trekking poles for the hike down to the river with a pack. It's steep enough that I thought it was easier hiking up than down.

Haven't been down there, on my list. Silver cord is nice. The others would appear to be more seasonal in nature, but you never know. Been to Fairyland up Broad Creek on the other side tho. Lots of falls up there.

Bob - I'd like to check out a couple of them if I can. Hopefully, they will not be dry this time of year. I also would like to hike to a pond that is located about a quarter of a mile to the west of the "3.5 Mile Label" on my map. It shows up as a marshy area on the map, but on the imagery there is a pond on the west side of the feature.

Looks interesting, looks way marshy getting there! Your second blue dot to the east looks to be decent falls. Keep going east, off your photo to the next drainage (drains the large meadow above wasburn hotsprings) looks to be good falls as well. Haven't been in that end to much, mostly on the road and looking down on it. Will be interested in what you find. Be Bear aware in there !

Bob - Here are the falls below the large meadow

Waterfalls_Sevenmile_Hole_7.jpg
7.5 Minute Topo

Waterfalls_Sevenmile_Hole_6.jpg
Imagery

I have taken the approximate locations of the falls from the Paul Rubinstein book The Guide to Yellowstone Waterfalls and their Discovery. The locations should be reasonably close, though you can see that some points do not line up with the drainages on the 7.5' map. I'm guessing most should be within 50-100 meters of where they are on the ground. I have labelled the name of the fall along with the type and height of the fall. As far as access goes; he lists Fall of the Valkyries as "difficult" and the rest as "dangerous". I guess we will have to see what it looks like on the ground if I attempt the ones further east along the drainage.

Yep, that's where I was looking on Google Earth........ Looks 'interesting' to get in there.

HomerJ or Yellowstone 1 - Have either of you explored the waterfalls in the area - (small blue dots on my map)?

I'll be taking my poles for sure.
I have not explored the waterfalls in that area. I stuck to the trail from Washburn, Washburn Hot Springs to Glacial Boulder. No Seven Mile Hole pit stop.

I believe this is the falls below 4C1 on your map, but I'm not certain. I haven't been to any other falls in the area. Here's my trip report that includes my hike down to Seven Mile Hole.

Where did you get all those water fall locations with their heights?

dsc_4648-jpg.5557

FYI you can still buy Cold Smoke in West Yellowstone. Not sure which way your coming up, but Ill have some for you when we meet up. Absolutely wonderful up here right now, bugs aren't too bad Yet, neither are the people. Snow is melting out pretty fast, weather has been choppy, raining every day.

HomerJ - Thanks for the report. Maybe we will get lucky and see a bear too.

I got the information about the waterfalls from the book The Guide to Yellowstone Waterfalls and their Discovery. It's a great book to have even though it appears to be out of print now and goes for quite a bit of money for a new or used copy.

Joey - They still sell Cold Smoke in West Yellowstone! I'm going to have to jettison one of my kids on the way back so that I can fit a couple of cases in my vehicle. ;) Do you need any food or other items before we head up?

Joey - They still sell Cold Smoke in West Yellowstone! I'm going to have to jettison one of my kids on the way back so that I can fit a couple of cases in my vehicle. ;) Do you need any food or other items before we head up?

They sell it everywhere, bought some today at both Canyon and Lake. Better price is in West Yellowstone though.

If you see Ryan, could you bring up some of the Pakos we brewed. Maybe a dozen. Thanks!

I will see you at the Canyon Backcountry office. I will be there around 9 am. And your going to love that group of rangers there, lol. Heading out in the morning for 4 nights, see you soon!