Sensor Dust

Nick

-
Show off your sensor dust here! Post your best pics of the garbage for the world to see!

Okay, not really. Just wondering how everyone handles sensor dust. I'm really getting a good collection going. I've heard you can take it into Pictureline. Any other options? Experiences?

IMG_1621 (1).jpg

I bought a do it yourself sensor cleaner kit. I was super nervous the first time I cleaned it but now it's no buggy. I usually clean it a couple times per year.

Pictureline. with my XSI - I got nailed, and resisted for a long time - but well worth the 35 bucks.

I've used a cleaning kit before but I always get better results from Pictureline for 35bones. Between cleanings I put a damp cloth on a table, hold my body upside down with the sensor exposed, and then use a blower.

The 5d is a fracking dust magnet but I've had my 7d for almost two years and still haven't had the need to clean it.

Blower bulb has solved my issues... but I still get the odd spot now and again. After getting stuck in a sandstorm at the St. George airport during the Thunder Over Utah air show I expected worse but I've been lucky I guess.

Okay, this is getting serious. Time to take my camera in to get cleaned.

I used Nik Detail Extractor to show how bad it is, but even without it, I'm having a hard time cleaning up the sky in this shot.
IMG_5601.jpg

I have nowhere local to go, so I do it myself with Sensor Swabs. I have to do it every few months...my sensor gets dirty quickly

Okay, this is getting serious. Time to take my camera in to get cleaned.

I used Nik Detail Extractor to show how bad it is, but even without it, I'm having a hard time cleaning up the sky in this shot.

Wow, that's the worst dust I have ever seen! Take it to Pictureline, and give them the best $35 you'll ever spend.

Done deal. Dropping it off tomorrow morning. Just for reference, this is the processed version of the above photo. I got most of it out, but if you look, you can still totally tell...

leprechaun-canyon-.jpg

What aperture where you shooting at? I can usually get away with it unless I'm shooting greater than f/11. But you have a wicked amount of dust on there. I've also had good luck with Pictureline.

My Canon1ds ll was a constant source of dust and aggravation. 100's of hours of spotting. Since I bought my 5Dll I have not needed to spend 1 minute cleaning the sensor. Including 2 river trips, maybe 5000+ shutter releases with constant lens changing. Maybe I am finally getiing some luck.

wow, Nick, I've never seen so much dust before.
And my camera picked up a lot of dust this summer, too.
But I could get rid of most of it.
Okay, that's history, I'm getting a brand new one.

neiloro

Is pictureline a local camera store in the Salt Lake area?
I just want to know for just in case, maybe I will need a sensor cleaning in the future.

Hey, that is a good looking cabin and mountain scene....oh but...oh no.

A week after I got my 5D MkII it wouldn't power on and I had to take my XTi for one last hurrah. Didn't realize the sensor dust was that bad. So ugly.

Pixels Foto: http://pixelsfoto.com/eshop/ in Sandy does a great job and is probably cheaper than Pictureline. I can't remember how much I paid but they've been great.

11072012_DustOnCameraLensExample.jpg

I bought a cleaning kit, but found it sucked. I has pictureline clean mine the day we left for the Maze. 4h and $35 later I was a happy man. You are welcome to try my cleaning kit. It is a lenspen deal with a scope etc.
http://www.lenspen.com/?cPath=_1&products_id=SKLK-1&tpid=323

did you just walk in and they did it or do I need to call ahead?
I really need my camera cleaned, during my stormy Needles trip I picked up a lot of dust.
And I'm heading to the Salt Lake area next month for my Uinta trip, so I could get my camera cleaned.
4 hours is reasonable and the 35 bucks absolutely okay.

I had them do mine a few weeks ago. Dropped it off in the morning right after they opened, but couldn't make it back until the next day to get it. But, before I told him I'd be back the following day,t he kid who does the actual cleaning told me that he does them after lunch and they generally aren't ready to be picked up until the afternoon.

You might get a different story :cool:. But, based on what he told me, sounded like you could drop one off anytime before lunch and pick it up later that same afternoon.

- DAA