Seneca Rocks, West Virginia

BrettCottrell

Brett Cottrell
I’m a Westerner. I was born in Las Vegas (which explains a lot) and have lived in Salt Lake and Boise, Idaho, attending undergrad at Boise State. When I came back east to DC for grad school, I scoffed at the so-called mountains. More like hills.

But over the years I’ve come to appreciate the Eastern Mountains, particularly West Virginia. If there’s a flat spot in West Virginia, I’ve yet to see it. Dense deciduous forests towering over lush undergrowth. True, the mountains never really get more than about six thousand feet, but that’s not bad prominence when you’re looking down at sea level.

The campground is beautiful, and because it’s so wooded, it feels more private than it is. Plus, the national forest campgrounds out here have showers. Sheesh. Easterners have a lot to learn about camping.

Seneca Rocks sits along a branch of the Potomac River, and it’s very close to Spruce Knob (the highest point in WV) and the Dolly Sods Wilderness Area.

We took a drive to Spruce Knob to see the view, which was great, and then hiked a few miles along Seneca Creek. It was gorgeous and would be a great backpacking destination. The creek, small though it was, was chalk full of little brookies.

The next day we drove up to the Dolly Sods Wilderness. Strange place for back east, while it’s probably only about 5000 feet, it has a tundra-type feel to it. I’d love to backpack there. We took a short hike and ate blueberries that grew all along the trail.

Because the elevation is lower than out west, and the summers back east are hot enough to serve as Hell’s waiting room, we were glad that there was a great swimming hole near the campground on the Potomac. Good times.

[picasa=5s]https://picasaweb.google.com/bsubrett/SenecaRocksBackcountry#slideshow/5847951217461729058[/picasa]

Seneca Rocks area is very pretty, I didn't stay at the campground there but stopped to get off the bike and stretch my legs. I stayed at a campground near there on south branch of the Potomac in Smoke Hole Canyon (Big Bend Campground).

img_3799.jpg

Thanks for sharing. The Monongahela National Forest is my main stomping ground. It has everything one could want, serious rock climbing, whitewater rivers that will curl your blood, lush vegetation greener than most places, mnt biking that will 'burn' the muscles, remote backpacking wilderness, backcountry skiing with 100's of inches of snow (currently 2 ft on the ground with 1-2 more feet coming tonight). Plus little restrictions for recreating outside the wildlife management areas(Canaan Valley). My family has spent hundreds of days exploring this area.
Do you live in these parts nowadays? Do you get out there very often? I go out there regularly. Wanted to buy a cabin just before the real estate mkt exploded....was very cheap back then. Too late now. Might head out there this wknd for some skiing.

Similar threads
Thread starter Title Forum Replies Date
Janice Pictured Rocks National Lakeshore in Michigan's Upper Peninsula Backpacking 6
Titans Fun shaped Rocks Photography 26
balzaccom Stacking Rocks General Discussion 1
NorthwestWanderer Goat Rocks attempt & Tahklak Lake Hiking & Camping 1
Stephanie B Behind the Rocks, Ken's Lake Faux Falls, U-Turn Canyon, Seven Mile Canyon, and Dark Angel Hiking & Camping 4
Vegan.Hiker Hopewell Rocks, Cape d'Or, Canada Everything Else 12
J Dayhikes GSENM, Cap Reef, Behind the Rocks: Deer Cr, Tanks, Sheets Gulch, Moab Rim Apr. 4 to 8, 2018 Hiking & Camping 0
Ugly It's just a bunch of Rocks... Hiking & Camping 13
Kullaberg63 Indecision Peak, Red Rocks, NV Hiking & Camping 0
Curt Pictured Rocks National Lakeshore On The Water 17
Nick Escalante On The Rocks On The Water 42
Ben Gooding City of Rocks, Coyote Creek Hiking & Camping 10
Opi Pictured Rocks 2013 Hiking & Camping 10
Ross The Needles, Behind the Rocks and Goblin Valley area Hiking & Camping 5
Ross Poison Spider Mesa views of Behind the Rocks Trip Planning 3
Ross Invite Halls Creek Narrows.....(& perhaps Needles/Behind The Rocks) Meet Up (Members Only) 12
DownUnderNoel The Pilbara: Red dust, trees, rocks and holes in the ground Everything Else 12
Seldom Seen Anderson Church Rocks Hiking & Camping 7
Jammer Behind the Rocks Backpacking 10
slc_dan Hamburger Rocks via The Post -Capitol Reef- Backpacking 14
gnwatts Clik Elite rocks! General Discussion 0
Alison Desert Rocks- Moab 2012 General Discussion 0
W Greetings from the West Side of the Winds (Wind River range) Noobs: Introduce yourself! 5
travel2walk Gros Ventre Wilderness: Granite Creek, West Fork Crystal Creek, Crystal Creek, & Swift Creek - June 2021 Backpacking 8
kwc Fall paddle on the West Branch of the Sacandaga River 10/23/22 On The Water 0
Ellen Zion West Rim Trail, December 2022 Trip Planning 3
scatman West Millcreek Ridge - July 10, 2022 Hiking & Camping 22
Rockskipper Outlook poor for fires in the West General Discussion 8
Titans CEDAR MESA VISITS: OPEN AGAIN// (Extended bridge closure, west of Blanding, on SR-95) General Discussion 5
Bushwacker West Clear Creek Ruin Trip Planning 9
scatman Grandeur Peak, The West Slope Approach - October 31, 2020 Hiking & Camping 7
BJett Dolly Sods Wilderness - West Virginia Backpacking 17
McKee80 Roaring Plains West Wilderness Backpacking 8
Blair Ballard West Temple 3.7.20 Hiking & Camping 2
andyjaggy Bikepacking West Desert Trip Planning 16
westy Cave Canyon, Grand Canyon west Hiking & Camping 5
Yvonne Snow Hike up the West Rim, December 15, 2019 Hiking & Camping 7
SteveR Blueberry Hill and West Elk Pass, Alberta Winter Sports 1
P West fork of Salt Creek? Trip Planning 4
LarryBoy A Route In Between: Mexico to Canada Through the Heart of the West Backpacking 50
chandlerwest Zion - West Rim Loop...........in July???? Hiking & Camping 7
regehr Deseret Peak West Twin Couloir Hiking & Camping 14
DuneElliot Backpacking Scotland's West Highland Way Trip Reports 5
mofca Hello from West Virginia! Noobs: Introduce yourself! 2
Chuck the Mauler Trip ideas near or west of Vegas Trip Planning 8
M Zion West Rim Trail, Early April 2019 Trip Planning 40
Titans Wasson Peak via Hugh Norris trail - Tucson Mountains - SAGUARO NP (WEST) Hiking & Camping 0
scatman Grandeur Peak - West Slope Route - September 3, 2018 Hiking & Camping 12
tomcat32 Backpacking the West Elk Wilderness Backpacking 9
Ross West Canyon hiking Backpacking 2