Seeking advice - Escalante or Grand Gulch after heavy rain?

Janice

Member
.
Joined
Dec 5, 2017
Messages
1,403
I know Utah needs rain, so it's really good that Tropical Storm Rachel is doing its thing. BUT it's providing us with some challenges for our upcoming backpacking trip starting perhaps Thursday 10/15. I could use some advice.

Our original plan was to do the Silver Falls / Choprock route (plus some extra explorations) that I've been wanting to do for a few years now. But you can only access it from dirt roads which can be difficult or even impassable when wet, and there's 1-2 inches of rain forecast for the next few days. I talked to a ranger at the Escalante Visitor Center who said sometimes the dirt roads take a long time to dry out, depending on how much rain there is and the temps. So I don't know when we'd be able to get ourselves to the TH. Plus, based on what the ranger said, the Escalante River might be a big mess and have quicksand, due to the combination of the current storm and the flash flood that went through there last month. So this might not be a good time for us to do this hike. :(

So I'm thinking of alternatives and am interested in Grand Gulch, especially since we weren't able to go as planned in 2025 due to a death in the family. I know that Kane Gulch Ranger Station is at a paved road so getting there wouldn't be an issue, and we could do an out-and-back to avoid dirt roads (or try to arrange a shuttle to Bullet or other TH or maybe even overcome our East Coast upbringings and try to hitch a ride). So accessing a GG trailhead isn't a problem. But if we pivot to GG, we need to find out about likely conditions, and I haven't gotten through to the Monticello BLM office yet. If the rain comes as expected, I assume there would be enough drinking water, but maybe that's an incorrect assumption? Also, if additional rain comes while we're in there, how great is the flash flood risk? Is this a good (safe) option for us?

I'd really appreciate advice / info from those of you who have experience with these roads and canyons, especially if you've been there during or shortly after big rains.

Thanks!
 
Back
Top