Season Backcountry Pass at Yellowston

Pringles

Well, I didn’t get an early lottery time, but I figured I could still get my season pass, and save some money. But no, I called to get my season pass, and they aren’t offering them any more. Until last year (the first year of the rec.gov), it was $25 for a season pass, and that meant that you didn’t have to pay the nightly fee. They always warned me that I’d need to be in the backcountry many nights before I wouldn’t lose money, but I always broke even. And, I was proud to have that little card. That meant I went out a bunch. It also meant I didn’t have to watch the movie. Last year, the cost for the pass went up to $50, but the cost of a night in the backcountry went up to $5 per night, per person. So I bought it, and I got my money’s worth. I also didn’t have to watch the movie. So I called today, and they have discontinued it. I know that for most people, having a “frequent flier” pass for a park isn’t in the cards, but I have to grumble. And y’all are who I chose to grumble to. Sorry. I hope I don’t have to watch the movie a bunch of times. In fact, a few years ago, a couple was hiking the other way on the trail, and I looked at the woman, and said, “Aren’t you… “. I was the ranger from the movie. She said she had done that movie a dozen or more years ago, and can’t go hiking in the park without being recognized. I guess it means we all watched the movie.

Pringles

ha ha great story about seeing the ranger in the movie out on the trail. Little did she know at the time that she'd be famous to a niche group of backpackers!

Interesting that they discontinued the pass.

Part of me recognized that when I pay my backcountry fee, it goes to traking care of what I care about. But still, it was like a coupon!

The ranger hadn't aged. And I love the way the animated bears walk in the movie.

So they discontinued the pass ... figures! Drat!!!! Now I have thought this would happen given enough time. Glad that saw the park's backcountry when I did in years past.

Last edited:
That's a bummer to hear, I didn't realize it went up last year. I was always hoping there'd be a year that I could make it out there enough to make it worth getting one.

I got lucky & didn't have to sit through the movie on either of the trips we had last year.

Hopefully there'll be plenty of campsites open after the lottery period ends, so far it seems like some good trip options remain when they're open publicly. Hopefully the rec.gov portal doesn't lead to them all disappearing in seconds on opening day like a lot of NP backcountry sites.

I just wanted to grumble. (Done!). But, they do have walk in sites, and that will work fine for me. I live near Yellowstone, but actually got a job IN Yellowstone for this summer. I hope to be able to get walk in sites. I don’t know what my schedule is going to be, so I can’t pre-reserve a trip, anyway. There are places I’d like to get to in Yellowstone, but honestly, I’m either too lazy or not strong enough to get to the Thorofare, and I’ll try to get up the Bechler after the season is over. Mostly, I just like to get out, it doesn’t need to be the best site in the park. When I think through the catalog of sites I’ve been to, I have about 10 favorites, and another 10 that are just a little bit below those. Apparently, I don’t have a good definition of favorite. I’m just disappointed. It’s finally my turn, and they change the rules. :-(

I used to get the backcountry pass every year too, up until recreation.gov took over last year. I didn't know if you could purchase the pass online last year or not, so after I paid for my first trip, the backcountry pass no longer was worthwhile from a savings standpoint for me. It's a shame they got rid of it for those who could take advantage of it.

Even though I was late in the draw, I was able to get three campsites in the Thorofare last night, so my August trip is a go. Of the three campsites that our group had originally wanted, only one was taken, which meant that we had to move down the trail a couple of miles for our first night's stay. Of course, my knees will be screaming at me having to carry a heavy pack a couple of more miles, :moses: but I'm as happy as a peach that I'll be returning to the Thorofare. :thumbsup:

Even though I was late in the draw, I was able to get three campsites in the Thorofare last night, so my August trip is a go. Of the three campsites that our group had originally wanted, only one was taken, which meant that we had to move down the trail a couple of miles for our first night's stay. Of course, my knees will be screaming at me having to carry a heavy pack a couple of more miles, :moses: but I'm as happy as a peach that I'll be returning to the Thorofare. :thumbsup:
Congrats! This gives me hope that there will still be some good sites available along the Thorofare next week when it opens up for general reservations! Only 5 more days! What time in August is your trip planned? We are looking at the last week of August or first week of September

Congrats! This gives me hope that there will still be some good sites available along the Thorofare next week when it opens up for general reservations! Only 5 more days! What time in August is your trip planned? We are looking at the last week of August or first week of September

We'll be heading in on August 9th, spending three nights in the Park, then heading out through the Teton Wilderness.