Sea to Summit X Pot

trasmuson3

Does anyone have a review on this pot? I Think it's pretty new and there aren't any reviews on REI. I love the concept of it and the space saving would be awesome compared to the MSR pot that I use. Just wondering what your thoughts are on it?image.jpg

That's pretty heavy at 10 oz. But it does have a lot of volume if you need that much. Lets see... family of 4 needs about 32 oz of water to boil at dinner time. That gives you an extra 62 oz of extra volume in the pot that you don't really need.
I think it be good for group camping situation where you have 8 or more. or car camping. Or family of 6 0r more. Otherwise you really don't need all that volume unless you like making big batches of backcountry chili. :tongue:
A 1600ml (54oz)TI pot weighs in at ~8.2 oz. so weight is actually pretty nice for the size and the collapse ability is a nice feature.
A 1100ml (37oz) TI pot weighs ~6.5oz
And how well does it balance on a stove like a Pocketrocket.
My 2 cents

That's pretty heavy at 10 oz. But it does have a lot of volume if you need that much. Lets see... family of 4 needs about 32 oz of water to boil at dinner time. That gives you an extra 62 oz of extra volume in the pot that you don't really need.
I think it be good for group camping situation where you have 8 or more. or car camping. Or family of 6 0r more. Otherwise you really don't need all that volume unless you like making big batches of backcountry chili. :tongue:
A 1600ml (54oz)TI pot weighs in at ~8.2 oz. so weight is actually pretty nice for the size and the collapse ability is a nice feature.
A 1100ml (37oz) TI pot weighs ~6.5oz
And how well does it balance on a stove like a Pocketrocket.
My 2 cents

I agree with Opi. As for the space saving, just put stuff in your pot and then it's not taking up unused space.

So which pots do you guys use and recommend?

I like my Evernew titanium pots.

I like my Toaks 750ml TI pot. Enough volume to boil at least 18oz of water with room to spare. Good for a Mountain House meal and good for my coffee and oatmeal in the morning. And when needed I just do 2 boils if for 2.
For my family of 4 trip coming up here in June, I bought an 42oz aluminum grease pot. 10 bucks at Walmart.

I agree, the sea to summit is pretty heavy. Plus I'm not a huge fan of cooking with aluminium cookware.

I agree, the sea to summit is pretty heavy. Plus I'm not a huge fan of cooking with aluminium cookware.

Steve, I'm curious to know what it is about aluminum that turns you away from it? Is it the risk of leaching aluminum? In researching "Titanium vs Aluminum" I found that if your cookware is hard anodized aluminum, the health risk of leaching aluminum from cooking something acidic is virtually eliminated. HA or not, if boiling only water, then there should be no risk of leaching any aluminum. Aluminum is also supposed to be better at distributing heat than titanium is. In my research HAA and Titanium are very comparable and close in weight and strength. So I was just curious if there's something else you don't like about aluminum. I've also read about this topic on other lightweight backpacking forums and was surprised to see how many people had tried titanium and went back to aluminum for various reasons while others remained bigger fans of Titanium for other reasons. I think I'm going to start a whole new thread on here to get others feed back on pros and cons of each.

I would guess the silicone that makes up the sides of the Xpot would help insulate it from wind and cold, similar to what a pot cozy would do. I know when the temp is low or the wind high my titanium pot takes a much longer time to boil water.

Saw it at the OR show..... I think there was a smaller one...... not sure.
I use a MSR Titanium, so far haven't found much lighter or tougher.