Scab Creek TH - Cirque of the Towers - Trail Lake Loop

Venchka

First trip to the Wind River Range.
The proposed route is shown on this map at CalTopo. We only have 6 days on trail for this trip. It's possible to continue along the north shore shore of Grave Lake and south back to the Fremont Trail which shortens the trip by 8 miles.
Click here to view on CalTopoComparing scenery to difficulty, how does this trip stack up?
Timeframe: start hiking on September 5. 7 days.
What is the road like to the Scab Creek TH? Ok for automobiles?
If I have overlooked anything seriously important please tell me.
Thanks for your help.
Wayne
PS:
One thing I have discovered is that several lakes on this itinerary, the northern part of the loop, are unknown here at Backcountrypost.com. I like that. We shall be exploring territory not often included in trip reports.
Ok. Off we go. Early September. Few insects. Snow will be gone. TarpTent StratoSpire 1, WM Alpinlite, Ursack country.

Last edited:
BUMP! Thoughts? help? Anyone?
Our Group is now up to four.
For some reason the route map above doesn't show up on phones.
Here is the verbal route:
Scab Creek TH - Divide Lake.
Freemont Trail Divide Lake - Lonesome Lake
Lonesome Lake - Valentine Lake - Grave Lake
Grave Lake - Trail Lake - Bewmark Lake - Divide Lake - Scab Creek TH.
Done.
Bailout options:
Valentine Lake - Freemont Trail - Divide Lake - Scab Creek TH
Grave Lake - Mays Lake - Freemont Trail - Divide Lake - Scab Creek TH.
I'm looking for a good 5-7 day warmup trip in the Wind River Range. The Teton Crest Trail is an option.
Thanks for your help.
Wayne

You are you going across the REZ ......... You will need a permit from them.
Its fairly expensive.
Trails are not vary good...as in not maintained or marked.....off trail navigation needed.
Bear precautions a must.

Cirque is over rated........

Looks like a fine route, Wayne. Big fun and great scenery. I don't remember it being hard to get to the scab creek trailhead but I am sure it is washboarded and potholed. Early September should be fine weather but you could get 6" or more of snow pretty easily. As Bob says there is definitely bear - both black and likely the rare grizzly. A fine beach to camp next to on Grave's northeast shore but you have to set your tent down 200' from the water's edge. Had an encounter with a Great Grey owl when I camped there!

You are you going across the REZ ......... You will need a permit from them.
Its fairly expensive.
Trails are not vary good...as in not maintained or marked.....off trail navigation needed.
Bear precautions a must.

Cirque is over rated........

"You are going across the REZ"
Are you sure? The TH is on the west side of the Divide. No mention of reservation land on the map.
The road conditions aren't encouraging. I'll call the BLM. Scout it out before everyone else arrives.
How does the road into Big Sandy compare to Scab Creek? How would the crowd compare Labor Day weekend?
I've been trying to get to The Cirque since forever. Overrated or not, I'm going.
Thanks for your help.
Wayne

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

If you haven't been there the cirque is definitely worthy of a visit, just know you will be sharing it with a lot of other people. Depending on your personality and preference that could irritate you or please you. I am almost positive that route goes into the reservation. I've looked into permits before and the cost isn't that prohibitive, but it's more the headache of having to drive into somewhere to purchase them that is the turn off. Adds some additional red tape and hassle to the trip.

Will investigate crossing The Rez and the permits.
Wayne

Yes I am sure. As soon as you cross over the divide from Bewmark Lk all the way to just north of Grave Lk is REZ. ...... Like I said last person I talked to about the trails there, they said they were basiclly nonexistant.

Road to Scab Creek TH used to be rough ...needed high clearance, dont know now tho.
Road to Big Sandy is a highway. You might look into Sweetwater TH....less crowded, nice country.

I did some research.
Yes, the REZ boundary runs east-west just north of Grave Lake. We would have needed 2 or 3 days of permits. I think that staying south of the Reservation from Grave Lake back to the Fremont Trail will be the best solution.
Thanks everyone!
Wayne

Noel, Shelia, Bonneville Lks, East fork out to Skull Lk is among the most scenic in the Winds I think. You can cut over from Graves by Pyramid and Midsummers Dome, then over the divide just SW of Bonneville Pk.....

Caught Goldens in Lee Lk. Noel Lk supposed to have Goldens

I found the fishing license prices. Ironically the Non-Resident Senior ANNUAL license is $60 versus $25 for a daily license. Being old might pay off.
The road condition is yet to be determined. A shuttle out of Pinedale might be an option.
If it were easy everyone would go.
Bob, thanks for the info on scenery and fishing.
Wayne

We ended up going to Big Sandy Trailhead on Sunday of Labor Day Weekend. Crazy crowded. The following week was quiet.
I'm a Wind River Range fan!
Wayne

Go to Sweetwater TH

The plan was prearranged and we didn't have cell service to make changes.
We were fine. We had about an acre of flat ground for parking and camping on Sunday. The only folks we saw on Monday were coming out. We saw a handful of folks on the trails in the next week and never any company camping. There's plenty of room to spread out!
Wayne