Resource icon

Sawtooth Mountains Traverse 2014-01-25

Awesome photos!!! I love this area. My brother-in-law lives near Sun valley and we are planning a trip from Red Fish Lake up to the Cramer Lakes. His plan is to use Cramer Lake as a base camp and do our exploring from there. I'm trying to talk him into a loop hike from Red Fish around to Yellow Belly Lake. We'll have to see what happens.

Wild Bob! What month was your hike? This looked awesome and you had great weather. You didn't take nor need axes? What percentage for the route was trail-less. It certainly does look rough. Since you know the terrain where I walked the Fitz in the NE Windies last summer how would you compare it to that in strenuousness and technical difficulty?

Nice slide show and nice touch including the GPX.

Late August. Only iffy spot was Thompson Pass. No axes and It was the year of heavy snow, Thompson Pass was the highest point. Probably 50% off trail. From Thompson Pass to the main trail just north of Baron Lks is the toughest section. Over the pass to Warbonnet isn't bad unless you get vertigo easily, its steep. Offtrail in Sawtooths is rougher than the Winds, it's more in your face where the winds are at hands length. It's a lot more up and down cross country. Quite a bit of scree in places, similar to the NW Winds. We don't do iceaxes either. Sawtooths are composed of two rock types, North of say Cramer lks is rough blocky, South is more rounded smooth terrain.

Nice country, I'd go back.....fishing was fabulous.

For a trip that long what kind of packs were you guys using to haul all that food? Any idea on total pack weights? That trip is about twice as long as the trip we took last summer but starts off the same. Very beautiful and very impressive that you guys made such a rugged trip in 10 days.

I carry a Granite gear Latitude Vapor 3800ci. Pack weight at start was around 40 lbs. My big three weighs about 8lbs.

I carry a Granite gear Latitude Vapor 3800ci. Pack weight at start was around 40 lbs. My big three weighs about 8lbs.

Did I see some ULA packs on that trip? I have both a catalyst and a circuit and am trying to get my long trip gear list down to where I can use the circuit.

What were your favorite parts of the trail? Did anyone use trail runners? I can imagine Thompson peak to Barron lakes would be pretty rough based off of everything I looked at. Again, thanks for the video and gps coordinates.

One guy had ULA but have to ask for what model. He also wore trail runners..... did so in the 13 day Winds trip as well. Said his feet were alright. Not for me. Thompson to Packrat to Kathryn Lake section. The off trail section from 3 island Lake towards the end.

Similar threads
Thread starter Title Forum Replies Date
Vegan.Hiker Sawtooth Mountains (Redfish Lake to Pettit Lake) Backpacking 22
Chuck the Mauler Sawtooth Mountains (Iron Creek - Pettit Lake) Backpacking 25
Mountain Wanderer First time in to the Sawtooth Wilderness! Backpacking 2
seaview53 Sawtooth trip planning. Iron Creek to Tin Cup Trip Planning 4
Dreamer Alice - Toxaway Loop | Sawtooth Wilderness Backpacking 6
Parma Sawtooth Loop: Redfish, Hell Roaring, Imogene, Edna, and Cramer Lakes Backpacking 13
NorthwestWanderer Overnight Backpack to Louis Lake, Lake Chelan-Sawtooth Wilderness Backpacking 4
NorthwestWanderer Chelan-Sawtooth Range : Sunrise to Cooney Lake Loop Backpacking 3
wabenho Sawtooth Creek Crossings (early season) Trip Planning 4
J Sawtooth Wilderness Backpacking 21
andyjaggy Sawtooth Hitchhiking Trip Planning 9
seekinglost Sawtooth Wilderness, ID - 8 Day Solo Hike August 2017 + Solar Eclipse Backpacking 7
George_Washington_Hayduke North Wash Canyoneering: Sawtooth, Bingo, Hog 3, Hog 4 Canyoneering 2
toddfw2003 Sawtooth Wilderness Petit Lake / Toxiway lake / Allice lake loop Resource Discussions 5
tomcat32 Sawtooth Wilderness Idaho Parking Passes Trip Planning 2
IceChip Sawtooth backpacking advice Trip Planning 4
BryanG Sawtooth Backpacking Suggestions Trip Planning 6
Ross Sawtooth and Wind hikes + Yellowstone favourites Backpacking 12
Kullaberg63 Sawtooth. High Route style trip? Trip Planning 9
Ben Sawtooths, Sawtooth Lake loop Backpacking 8
steve For Sale: (2) Aire Tributary Sawtooth Inflatable Kayaks Gear 14
pstm13 Sawtooth Lake, SNRA Backpacking 22
Melissa Sawtooth or Uintas Recommends Requested Trip Planning 6
Bob Sawtooth Wilderness, Idaho - North to South Traverse Backpacking 25
Duke Goat Lake, Sawtooth Range Backpacking 3
BobFink Goschute Mountains, NV , Pisgah Peak, Hawk Watch Migration Site Everything Else 2
westy San Juan mountains, Colorado Hiking & Camping 8
M Backpacking 50 miles in the Uinta Mountains for 5 days with ~50 pound pack Backpacking 4
kansas good place to watch sunrise in the La Sal mountains Trip Planning 0
NorthwestWanderer First time in the High Uintas | Red Castle SNEAK Loop | I give these mountains 5 out of 5 stars Backpacking 7
westy Wallowa Mountains, Oregon Trip Planning 3
John Goering Pioneer Mountains, Montana <50" UTV trip Off Road 3
Kerrie at Thru We Go Packraft Trip in the Sierra Nevada Mountains Trip Reports 3
John Goering Boulder Lakes, Tobacco Root Mountains Off Road 0
John Goering Tobacco Root Mountains South Meadow Creek Off Road 1
C Utah Mountains in Late May Trip Planning 12
S Mentasta Mountains, Wrangell St. Elias National Park and Preserve- family backpack Backpacking 1
Noun Sequitur Magdalena Mountains, Mesa Trail Loop Hiking & Camping 3
Mountain Wanderer Four Lakes Basin in the Southern Cabinet Mountains - Montana Backpacking 12
Artemus Wind River Mountains Conditions 2021 Trip Planning 17
J Death Valley NP Black Mountains and beyond Hiking Dec 19-20, 2020 Hiking & Camping 1
scatman Grassy Benchmark - Grassy Mountains - April 24, 2021 Hiking & Camping 18
scatman Peak 6551 - Lakeside Mountains - April 17, 2021 Hiking & Camping 7
norwegianxplorer In the shadow of the Henry Mountains, Utah Backpacking 2
Mountain Wanderer Cedar Lakes Loop in Montana's Cabinet Mountains Wilderness Backpacking 4
Janice Porcupine Mountains in Michigan's Upper Peninsula - August 2-7 Backpacking 15
balzaccom Ruby Mountains, Nevada Hiking & Camping 2
fossana 2fer in the Tushars (Tushar Mountains, UT) Hiking & Camping 4
TeamJenkins17 Bighorn Mountains Trip Planning 2
T Grizzly bears in Wind River Mountains Noobs: Introduce yourself! 12