Sawtooth. High Route style trip?

Kullaberg63

I remember a trip report on here from the Sawtooths maybe last year describing a group of friends doing what seemed like a fairly adventurous route. Can't find it.

Anybody have suggestions for a 5-7 day challenging outing up there for August?

Thx @LarryBoy . Even just a line of waypoints on a map is pretty inspiring to me. Like you I've never been. The beginning of your route seems to correspond with @Bob 's trip in the archives, and appears to be a pretty well trodden off-trail route into the Sawtooths.

I started working on straightening out @Bob 's line below, to try and avoid the long trail hike at the end. Red is his, blue is mine:
Click here to view on CalTopo
The trip report I couldn't is on BPL. Duh!

Thx @LarryBoy . Even just a line of waypoints on a map is pretty inspiring to me. Like you I've never been. The beginning of your route seems to correspond with @Bob 's trip in the archives, and appears to be a pretty well trodden off-trail route into the Sawtooths.

I started working on straightening out @Bob 's line below, to try and avoid the long trail hike at the end. Red is his, blue is mine:
Click here to view on CalTopo
The trip report I couldn't is on BPL. Duh!
Backcountry PostLight strikes again!

One thing that I do find interesting about these "high-route" style trips is they tend to converge around a pretty singular line. Different people make different variants, but by fixing the parameters (go high, stay high, Class 3-4 OK), the route does tend to build itself in a sense.

OTOH, finding a high route through the Beartooths has proved pretty challenging due to the paucity of N/S passes over the main ridge.

I have heard there are climber trails in the Sawtooths. They aren't marked on maps but are fairly well known amongst climbers who frequent the Sawtooths. So you may stumble across some on this trip.

Never saw a sign of people on the off trail sections except by Goat lk

Thanks for the help, everybody, especially @Bob . We just finished the trip with the 'homemade' variations shown above, in 6 days. Roughly 58 miles, 48 of which were off trail. Very rugged, strenuous and challenging. We felt it was a notch harder than the Wind River High Route as proposed by AdventureAlan, even though that one was 30 miles longer. We did both in the same time frame.

How was the stretch on both sides of snowyside peak...had my eye on that area awhile for a trip.. some pics through there please...heck pics for the trip

Similar threads
Thread starter Title Forum Replies Date
Mountain Wanderer First time in to the Sawtooth Wilderness! Backpacking 2
seaview53 Sawtooth trip planning. Iron Creek to Tin Cup Trip Planning 4
Dreamer Alice - Toxaway Loop | Sawtooth Wilderness Backpacking 6
Parma Sawtooth Loop: Redfish, Hell Roaring, Imogene, Edna, and Cramer Lakes Backpacking 13
NorthwestWanderer Overnight Backpack to Louis Lake, Lake Chelan-Sawtooth Wilderness Backpacking 4
NorthwestWanderer Chelan-Sawtooth Range : Sunrise to Cooney Lake Loop Backpacking 3
wabenho Sawtooth Creek Crossings (early season) Trip Planning 4
Vegan.Hiker Sawtooth Mountains (Redfish Lake to Pettit Lake) Backpacking 22
J Sawtooth Wilderness Backpacking 21
andyjaggy Sawtooth Hitchhiking Trip Planning 9
seekinglost Sawtooth Wilderness, ID - 8 Day Solo Hike August 2017 + Solar Eclipse Backpacking 7
George_Washington_Hayduke North Wash Canyoneering: Sawtooth, Bingo, Hog 3, Hog 4 Canyoneering 2
toddfw2003 Sawtooth Wilderness Petit Lake / Toxiway lake / Allice lake loop Resource Discussions 5
tomcat32 Sawtooth Wilderness Idaho Parking Passes Trip Planning 2
IceChip Sawtooth backpacking advice Trip Planning 4
BryanG Sawtooth Backpacking Suggestions Trip Planning 6
Ross Sawtooth and Wind hikes + Yellowstone favourites Backpacking 12
Chuck the Mauler Sawtooth Mountains (Iron Creek - Pettit Lake) Backpacking 25
Ben Sawtooths, Sawtooth Lake loop Backpacking 8
steve For Sale: (2) Aire Tributary Sawtooth Inflatable Kayaks Gear 14
Bob Sawtooth Mountains Traverse Resource Discussions 7
pstm13 Sawtooth Lake, SNRA Backpacking 22
Melissa Sawtooth or Uintas Recommends Requested Trip Planning 6
Bob Sawtooth Wilderness, Idaho - North to South Traverse Backpacking 25
Duke Goat Lake, Sawtooth Range Backpacking 3
TheMountainRabbit Dana Meadows to Twin Lakes via the High Route (Yosemite/Hoover Wilderness) - August 2023 Backpacking 8
meowtaingal Wind river high route mid september Trip Planning 7
Timber High Sierra - North Lake to South Lake Loop - Layover Day Trip Planning 9
Kullaberg63 Gore high traverse Backpacking 11
Parma Camping with a double high air mattress? General Discussion 2
travel2walk preventing high altitude (khumbu) cough techniques? Resource Discussions 2
NorthwestWanderer First time in the High Uintas | Red Castle SNEAK Loop | I give these mountains 5 out of 5 stars Backpacking 7
NorthwestWanderer 8 Day High Sierra trek : Humphreys Basin, Star Col, Granite Park, Lake Italy & Piute Canyon 6/25-7/2/22 Backpacking 7
TheMountainRabbit Red's Meadow to Tuolumne Meadows via the High Route (Ansel Adams/Yosemite Wilderness) - August 2022 Backpacking 5
Bob Teton Wilderness - 50 miles of High Country - Aug 2022 Backpacking 45
TrailScot "I'll take the High Road ..." - A Loop Hike around the Canyons of Needles - May 2022 Trip Reports 14
balzaccom My second mystery novel set in the High Sierra is now out! General Discussion 6
balzaccom Gibbs Lake, High Sierra Backpacking 2
fossana Palisades Roundabout (High Sierra) Backpacking 12
fossana Evolution Loop (High Sierra) Hiking & Camping 10
N Gilbert Meadows- High Uintas Trip Planning 0
norwegianxplorer Backpacking Norway, Lysefjorden/Kjerag/Kjerag Waterfall/Kjeragbolten, 4 days Solo Hiking high above the Norwegian Fjords Trip Reports 2
balzaccom Mystery set in the High Sierra General Discussion 4
WasatchWill The High Uintas 4-4-4: Four Basins, Four Passes, Four Days Backpacking 20
C High Uintas Wilderness - Last minute plans Trip Planning 4
Mountain Wanderer High Uintas Wilderness - Granddaddy Basin Backpacking 4
Tarp Boy High Sierra Camp Loop, Yosemite, CA Trip Reports 5
fossana A taste of the GR11: 6 Days on the Travesía Pirenaica (High Pyrenees, Spain) Backpacking 18
Born to Hike Mountain Solitude: Reconnaissance Lake, High Uintas, early Sept 2019 Backpacking 9
fossana Bear Lakes > Royce Lakes overnighter (High Sierra) Backpacking 12