Sawtooth backpacking advice

IceChip

Hi, I'm planning a trip to the Sawtooth Mountains for mid September this year. I have a few guidebooks and am using Google Earth to scout stuff. I've been looking into route options and have read through a bunch of trip reports on here and found some great information. The one thing I haven't found, however, is any instance of someone crossing over the ridge to the East of Baron Peak. I'm not sure why, but I've become fascinated with the possibility of after following the trail South from Sawtooth Lake, heading basically straight South (after side trips to check out those lakes - In Purple) from the trail (478 - in green) where it turns West to follow the North Fork of Baron Creek towards Grandjean. The plan would be to keep heading straight South through the Valley, aiming for the slope that leads up to the (more or less) lowest point in the ridge to the East of Baron Peak. Then I would descend towards Stephen's Lake, Braxon Lake, then aim to join up with trail 101.

(Facing due South)
upload_2017-4-27_19-35-49.png

The only part I'm worried about is getting over that ridge to the East of Baron Peak. Does anyone have any experience with this area or advice about this? My alternative option is just following the trail down the North Fork of Baron Creek and then up Trail 101 along Baron Creek to Baron Lakes.

Any help is greatly appreciated! Thanks

Attachments

• upload_2017-4-27_19-31-29.png
    upload_2017-4-27_19-31-29.png
    1 MB · Views: 22
here are some pictures also looking due South at your ridge.
sawtoothsseptember2013 284.JPG

DSCF2182.JPG

DSCF2209.JPG

the first image is from the first week of october. the other two are from the first week of september. as you can see there is a chance of some snow. i've never gone over the ridge. it looks doable. but going down through the valley bottom looks like a real hassle. and going around it also looks like a hassle. i would guess that getting up and over the divide would be easier than actually getting to it. i have had some great off trail experiences in the Sawtooths, but also experienced some terrible bushwhacking and side hilling that i wouldn't care to repeat. i would not recommend your planned route. but i'm not saying i wouldn't attempt it. also. i think it's unlikely that following the ridge crest to the top of the divide is a real possibility, as you have drawn on your map. i would imagine that you would have to go up one of the scree/talus slopes to a saddle.

i can tell you that the walk down the North Fork, and up Baron Creek is not a bad hike.

Wow @Ben thanks for the pictures and the advice. I'm thinking I'll plan some extra time into my trip for an attempt, though fully expecting a high chance of abandonment and taking the North Fork/Baron Creek instead. I just can't stop wanting to get over that divide for whatever reason.

That being said, can you go into a little more detail which route you'd take if you were actually attempting this? Following the ridge crest up just seemed like the least steep route to get up there but I'm no expert in this type of terrain.

Also, just curious, do you know exactly what the POV is for those shots?

those photos are taken from the trail South of Sawtooth Lake. the first and last are from where the trail begins to descend in to the valley of the North Fork Baron Creek. the middle image is taken from South of Sawtooth Lake, but North of the tarns near it. all of them are nearly the same view.
if i were going over the divide i would guess the easiest climb would be to the saddle just left of the smaller, rounder hump right in the center of the third image.

Similar threads
Thread starter Title Forum Replies Date
BryanG Sawtooth Backpacking Suggestions Trip Planning 6
Bob Sawtooth Mountains ........... Get ready for summer Backpacking 12
Mountain Wanderer First time in to the Sawtooth Wilderness! Backpacking 2
seaview53 Sawtooth trip planning. Iron Creek to Tin Cup Trip Planning 4
Dreamer Alice - Toxaway Loop | Sawtooth Wilderness Backpacking 6
Parma Sawtooth Loop: Redfish, Hell Roaring, Imogene, Edna, and Cramer Lakes Backpacking 13
NorthwestWanderer Overnight Backpack to Louis Lake, Lake Chelan-Sawtooth Wilderness Backpacking 4
NorthwestWanderer Chelan-Sawtooth Range : Sunrise to Cooney Lake Loop Backpacking 3
wabenho Sawtooth Creek Crossings (early season) Trip Planning 4
Vegan.Hiker Sawtooth Mountains (Redfish Lake to Pettit Lake) Backpacking 22
J Sawtooth Wilderness Backpacking 21
andyjaggy Sawtooth Hitchhiking Trip Planning 9
seekinglost Sawtooth Wilderness, ID - 8 Day Solo Hike August 2017 + Solar Eclipse Backpacking 7
George_Washington_Hayduke North Wash Canyoneering: Sawtooth, Bingo, Hog 3, Hog 4 Canyoneering 2
toddfw2003 Sawtooth Wilderness Petit Lake / Toxiway lake / Allice lake loop Resource Discussions 5
tomcat32 Sawtooth Wilderness Idaho Parking Passes Trip Planning 2
Ross Sawtooth and Wind hikes + Yellowstone favourites Backpacking 12
Chuck the Mauler Sawtooth Mountains (Iron Creek - Pettit Lake) Backpacking 25
Kullaberg63 Sawtooth. High Route style trip? Trip Planning 9
Ben Sawtooths, Sawtooth Lake loop Backpacking 8
steve For Sale: (2) Aire Tributary Sawtooth Inflatable Kayaks Gear 14
Bob Sawtooth Mountains Traverse Resource Discussions 7
pstm13 Sawtooth Lake, SNRA Backpacking 22
Melissa Sawtooth or Uintas Recommends Requested Trip Planning 6
Bob Sawtooth Wilderness, Idaho - North to South Traverse Backpacking 25
Duke Goat Lake, Sawtooth Range Backpacking 3
B 3P Backpacking Tent Recommendation and Nemo Aurora feedback Gear 3
TrailScot Capitol Reef NP - 5 Day Backpacking Adventure from Chimney Rock to Burro Wash - October 2023 Backpacking 10
Mikjik86 Backpacking Indian Peaks Wilderness - King Lake - August, 2023 Backpacking 0
J Backpacking in the UK Backpacking 1
2eez4life Suggestions: Uintas Backpacking with some rock climbing routes Trip Planning 0
M Backpacking 50 miles in the Uinta Mountains for 5 days with ~50 pound pack Backpacking 4
forest dweller What do you think are the most essential nutrients while backpacking? General Discussion 17
B 2P Backpacking Tent Recommendation Gear 13
forest dweller Favorite backpacking foods...convenient, easy, delicious, nutritious? General Discussion 20
forest dweller You guys keep a backpacking gear checklist in Microsoft Word you don't mind sharing? General Discussion 13
forest dweller I have tons of backpacking food past it's expired by date... General Discussion 10
maisweh Backpacking Maze - Please Critique Trip Planning 11
DrNed Backpacking Light Memberships Resource Discussions 6
ANelson Backpacking with a 600MM Lens General Discussion 13
E Weeklong+ backpacking recs in Yellowstone NP? Trip Planning 11
mikejones3 New Backpacking / Hiking Weight Calculator App Gear 0
R Backpacking in the Pacific Northwest Trip Planning 7
NorthwestWanderer Backpacking Grand Teton National Park : Fossil Pass,Fox Creek Pass,Indian Lake,Alaska Basin,Hurricane Pass,Ice Floe Lake,& Snowdrift Lake Backpacking 19
Mikjik86 Backpacking The Wind River Range - Wyoming, September 2022 Trip Reports 3
norwegianxplorer 6 days Backpacking Norway in the Fall (Part 2) Backpacking 4
V four day backpacking trip in southern Utah starting this weekend Trip Planning 4
norwegianxplorer 6 days backpacking Jotunheimen in the fall Trip Reports 4
Desertratgal Backpacking/Packrafting Needles and Maze Districts of Canyonlands Trip Planning 3
BJett Amazing Appalachians - Backpacking/Packrafting the AT and Nantahala River Backpacking 5