Sat phone ...Messaging

I use paper maps a Garmin 62s. And a panasonic superzoom digital.. phone stays turned off in pack along with a silva compass.......

@Rockskipper Do you count yourself as being in the "first world"?
I was a rookie member of a SAR group for awhile, and everyone getting lost had smartphones, so, I deduced that having a smartphone means you're going to get lost. I've only been lost a couple of times in my life, so decided that was enough and therefore don't want a smartphone. So far, so good. :cool:

But my old 3G flip phone won't be supported after the first, so I'm trying to decide whether to go phoneless or get a smartphone. So far, procrastination is favoring the first choice.

Last edited:
For tracking maps are way cheaper

I agree 100%. I always have a map and an old-school analog compass with me and use that as my primary navigation. But in places like canyons where much of the landscape looks similar and navigational landmarks are harder to come by, it can be easier to use tracking to see if I've missed a turnoff on my return trip. But I also like to have backups of something that could save my life, hence the phone or external GPS.

@ImNotDedYet - Was your phone in "off-plane" mode during Gaia tracking? Or was this on a super cold day, where the phones are almost useless? That's the biggest problem with the phones during winter hiking, the batteries poop out in freezing weather.

Usually during temperatures way above freezing I can easily track the entire route for 8-10 hours and take loads of photos all day and still have battery left (iPhone11). If I don't track the route continuously, but just mark some way points at critical canyon forks & way points for pictographs/ruins, plus take photos all day, then I still have 1/2 battery with Gaia running/open all day in the background. Obviously I close out all other apps. We have the Garmin Mini for 2-way mgs. We love Gaia and also extensively use all the various super cool maps layers. It's worth every penny IMO :)

I didn't place the phone in airplane mode with just the gps on for this trip. It was my first attempt using tracking with Gaia, and truthfully it was completely unnecessary as the trail is very familiar and well marked - even in the snow. It was cold in the morning but got quite nice (mid 40's F?) in the afternoon. I'm sure the cold affected the battery life, but I often don't put my phone into airplane mode and don't recall it being nearly dead by the time I'm back to the car - even when tracking with the mini. It's good to hear that the Gaia will work though.

There are certainly some things I'll try w/ Gaia to see about battery life. Perhaps marking waypoints instead of actual tracking, airplane mode, etc. I'm more so just exploring the differences between it and the Mini at this point. I don't often use tracking in the mountains in Colorado as I don't bushwhack often and trails in the areas I'm going typically are well defined. If I get in a pinch I can always use the map and compass.

I have found that if I am in an area with poor to no reception, not having it on airplane mode drains the battery quickly. I think that it is constantly trying to get a cell signal. In airplane mode, I can get 2 full days out of my phone with tracking on.

I agree 100%. I always have a map and an old-school analog compass with me and use that as my primary navigation. But in places like canyons where much of the landscape looks similar and navigational landmarks are harder to come by, it can be easier to use tracking to see if I've missed a turnoff on my return trip. But I also like to have backups of something that could save my life, hence the phone or external GPS.

I didn't place the phone in airplane mode with just the gps on for this trip. It was my first attempt using tracking with Gaia, and truthfully it was completely unnecessary as the trail is very familiar and well marked - even in the snow. It was cold in the morning but got quite nice (mid 40's F?) in the afternoon. I'm sure the cold affected the battery life, but I often don't put my phone into airplane mode and don't recall it being nearly dead by the time I'm back to the car - even when tracking with the mini. It's good to hear that the Gaia will work though.

There are certainly some things I'll try w/ Gaia to see about battery life. Perhaps marking waypoints instead of actual tracking, airplane mode, etc. I'm more so just exploring the differences between it and the Mini at this point. I don't often use tracking in the mountains in Colorado as I don't bushwhack often and trails in the areas I'm going typically are well defined. If I get in a pinch I can always use the map and compass.

@ImNotDedYet - sounds great!
In the event you try out Gaia in airplane mode (sorry I called it "off-plane" mode earlier on): at home remember to download the map areas you are interested in. First you select the various map layers you like (like US topo, Satellite, etc), then you select the specific map location area, then download.
Gaia has also been super helpful to navigate driving in remote areas. For instance in the Sand Hills, Arizona strip on sandy roads with sage brush everywhere, with no or little elevation change and a gazillion small dirt roads going off in all different directions.

Like @mike_offerman - our batteries also drain super fast in areas with no to poor connection, unless the phone is on airplane mode. We almost always keep the phones in airplane mode when hiking (The Adirondacks has very little to no reception, same with many areas in southern Utah).

I'm considering getting a Sat device. Looking at the Bivystick Blue. Anyone have any experience with that one?