San Rafael Swell Wilderness Designations

Moderator note: We split this off from the BCP Spring Meet Up thread as to not derail that conversation.

Now as a non-moderator post, this sounds really interesting that they made a compromise that has such bipartisan support. That's kind of wild to think it has SUWA support and enough to get a large majority of the republican held senate. I haven't looked through this yet but I'm really curious to learn more.

Not a fan of that goblin valley state park expansion, its one of my favorite places to camp and they're trying to turn it into a fee area.
dff7ae7b94e00b646323b1196f66d7ac.png

Not a fan of that goblin valley state park expansion, its one of my favorite places to camp and they're trying to turn it into a fee area.
dff7ae7b94e00b646323b1196f66d7ac.png

That totally sucks. But on the other hand, it is pretty well overrun anytime outside of winter right now. But then where will they go...

As a frequent user of this area I'm pretty bummed about this. The wilderness designations don't bother me (most of those areas were WSAs already), but the road closures (74 miles worth!) do. The Goblin Valley State Park expansion is also a really bad deal. Like @Nick said above, "where will they go?" I frequently camp with a large group each fall near Temple Mountain, and now we'll have to move outside the expanded state park in order to avoid literally a thousand dollars worth of camping fees (if the same fee schedule at $30/night is in place).

Also, this bill does nothing to preclude a national monument designation in the Swell. I'm not sure how the Emery County commissioners could support it without that one important caveat. It's been touted as bipartisan, but very few of the locals are in support of it. I just don't know what's going on anymore.

e233903df5c334447bb5f801bfdd503b.jpeg

Moderator note: We split this off from the BCP Spring Meet Up thread as to not derail that conversation.

Now as a non-moderator post, this sounds really interesting that they made a compromise that has such bipartisan support. That's kind of wild to think it has SUWA support and enough to get a large majority of the republican held senate. I haven't looked through this yet but I'm really curious to learn more.

Hunters.

This bill opened a bunch of wilderness elsewhere that gives hunters more public land. We should really look to those guys in supporting more wilderness much more often.

Hunters.

This bill opened a bunch of wilderness elsewhere that gives hunters more public land. We should really look to those guys in supporting more wilderness much more often.

Conservationist hunting groups like Backcountry Hunters and Anglers are very active on public lands issues.

Here's the text of the act.
https://www.congress.gov/bill/116th-congress/senate-bill/47/amendments?r=1&s=7

Subpart referring to the Swell:
PART II—EMERY COUNTY PUBLIC LAND MANAGEMENT

Unfortunately, maps have yet to be produced, the best I can tell, pending legal description of boundaries. However, a more recent map:
https://www.utah.gov/pmn/files/464287.pdf
does not show Goblin Valley State Park wrapping around the wilderness designation on the Swell itself (Crack Canyon Wilderness Study Area portion). This map shows it stopping short of Temple Wash. The map Udink has linked, showing a much larger State Park expansion seems like a serious management issue of two conflicting management missions: UT State Parks and BLM Wilderness. I hope the expansion is smaller because that horseshoe shaped St Pk boundary is simply not manageable, nor does it really provide for preservation of some of the required wilderness characteristics that make the landscape (within the wilderness boundary) eligible for Wilderness Designation.
I have yet to find a map that conclusively details the legislation. If someone definitively finds one please post the link.
John

Last edited:
Conservationist hunting groups like Backcountry Hunters and Anglers are very active on public lands issues.

The other side of the isle is much more likely to listen to them, as they are generally part of the 2nd amendment crowd as well. Working with hunters is a win/win when it comes to public lands issues-most of the time.

The other side of the isle is much more likely to listen to them, as they are generally part of the 2nd amendment crowd as well. Working with hunters is a win/win when it comes to public lands issues-most of the time.

Completely agree. I volunteered at their booth last year at the Hunting Expo in SLC (keynote speaker: Zinke). Definitely reaching over the isle for me, but then again so are our voter registration events here in southern UT. It was enlightening to speak to hunters from MT, where private property often blocks access to public land.

I've taken some quick looks (thus I may have missed the answer to this) but is Little Wildhorse Canyon going to be in the expanded Goblin Valley SP?

I've taken some quick looks (thus I may have missed the answer to this) but is Little Wildhorse Canyon going to be in the expanded Goblin Valley SP?
from what I can tell it is part of a new wilderness area.

I'm curious about what roads will be closing.