sad news from the Wave.

+1

Gesendet von meinem ViperXed HOX+ mit Tapatalk 2

Very sad but not shocking if you've done the wave before and seen the lucky few who scored permits on the trail. During our trip last month with temps in the mid/high 90's we helped a group of 5 Japanese women who starting out hiking west (the opposite direction) directly up the steep hill from the trailhead. Each only had a small purse with a single water bottle. Pretty sure we saved them a few times that day, They "got lost" on the hike out and came back to the wave then followed us out on the second attempt. We also saw a German fellow who hiked out alone with a single disposable water bottle in hand and a 6D around his neck.

Very sad but not shocking if you've done the wave before and seen the lucky few who scored permits on the trail. During our trip last month with temps in the mid/high 90's we helped a group of 5 Japanese women who starting out hiking west (the opposite direction) directly up the steep hill from the trailhead. Each only had a small purse with a single water bottle. Pretty sure we saved them a few times that day, They "got lost" on the hike out and came back to the wave then followed us out on the second attempt. We also saw a German fellow who hiked out alone with a single disposable water bottle in hand and a 6D around his neck.

wow.

"I wanna see that picture that's on windows xp!"

Just caught the first few minutes of tonight's news. The Wave has claimed another life. This time a 27 year old female who succumbed to the heat. That makes three fatalities on that hike this year that I know of but they said 4? Sad, sad stuff. It seems people really underestimate the heat out there.

Man, that's awfully unusual to have that many heat-related deaths in such a short time down south.

It reminds me of when my wife got what must have been some heat exhaustion while backpacking in North Dakota. We were just hiking along and I noticed she had gotten quiet. I turned around to ask her how she was enjoying the hike, and I saw that her face was just blood red. She was already having a hard time walking straight, but she hadn't said anything about having a problem. If I had been fixated on another problem, such as being lost, then I could easily imagine her getting much worse before either of us knew there was a problem. As it was, I recognized the problem and we were able to get her cooled off in about an hour.

The heat can be every bit as scary as the cold.

Sad, sad stuff. It seems people really underestimate the heat out there.

Not just the heat, also the exposure. Not many places to stop and rest and wait out a hot day. The low humidity leeches moisture from your skin and unless you're fastidious about hydration, you will dehydrate.

I could very well see the BLM using these deaths to further restrict access.

that's indeed sad news. But I agree with @ashergrey, most people simply underestimate the desert climate and heat and are ill prepared for a desert hike during the summer.
The desert kills and is a hostile place when you not follow the rules.
Hydration is so important in these super dry and hot areas.

Sometimes it amazes me completely how ill prepared some people are. I've seen a lot the last few months while hiking in the desert and on really hot days, too.
I wonder if the many deaths will lead to a more restricted access to these remote areas.

Increase access? That's the answer? Wow...

I'm thinking it's time for them to allow the route to be cairned. It seems most of the folks are somewhat confused on the return route. (We had to lead an Oriental couple back to the parking lot) So... A little panic, (which way??) low on water, and plenty of heat, this is a disaster story waiting to happen. They allow 20 people a day to hike the Wave. It is inevitable that there will be some total desert noobs, baby stepping their way in and out of this place. Making the route a little more obvious, might help part of the problem.

Sad story (again).

I just deleted a soapbox moment of writing because I don't want to come across as insensitive. Suffice it to say that I hope there aren't any more stories like this in the future of the Wave... but not sure exactly what (if anything) can be done.

- JG

M

OMG, this is exactly where I got sick last year, and both she and I took the same precautions. Makes me wonder if sometimes you just shouldn't be out there in certain conditions.

Now that I think about it, the major difference was she started her hike at 9:00 am and was sick by 1:00, right in the mid-day heat. I started the hike at 1:00 and was sick by 5:00 so things were starting to cool. Other than that the situations are almost identical. There but for the grace of God.....

Sad news.:(
M

OMG, this is exactly where I got sick last year, and both she and I took the same precautions. Makes me wonder if sometimes you just shouldn't be out there in certain conditions.

I think this is the crux of it. Even if you take all the proper precautions you can still be affected by heat sickness. Personally, I don't do desert hiking during the summer because I don't tolerate the heat very well. I think the best bet for safe travel in hot weather is to do as the animals do. Be active early in the morning and late in the day and take cover from the sun during the heat of day.

I don't know about the elderly couple, but the two younger women were both "heavy". The GSENM woman had a history of being outdoorsy, but I can only imagine that the 4th of July heat was too much. It can sneak up on you if you are not used to it (especially mid-day sun!) :(

- JG

I had the same thought when seeing a picture of the latest fatal. Weight is relevant in the sense that heat-related problems are related to cardiovascular stress.

That said, I'm skinny as a twig and have had a close call or two with heat exhaustion. It's a combination of heat and exertion and anyone can over-exert.

In one case, I was well-hydrated but my body simply stopped processing the liquid. Very scary feeling.