Running High and Muddy

Deadeye008

Hambone
A couple buddies and I headed up to the Clearwater a few weekends ago to chase some Steelhead. The water had spiked to over 3000 cfs and the river was crazy high, swift, and really off color. Looked like mocha. We usually wait and fish the river when it is well under 1000 cfs but one of the guys I went with was moving to Texas so we made the trip anyway. Drove all night Thursday night and got to the river around 5am. After a quick nap in the car waiting for the sun to come up, we hit the river. I love it up there. Everything is covered with moss and so green even in the early spring. The fishing was extremely hard because of the high water level. We ended up finding a small area just below some rapids where we thought the fish might be holding because the current was a little slower. After 20 min I had our first fish on....and then off. As soon as the fish figured out they were hooked they would get out into the current and it was extremely hard to get them in. Trying to get a 10lb+ steelhead out of a heavy current and back towards the near shore is no easy task. We ended up landed only about half the fish we hooked into because of the water conditions. My buddy hooked into a really nice male on the second day and we ended up chasing it through a few rapids and down the river about half a mile. We had it at the net a couple of times but in the end it came off. Farthest I've ever chased a fish on foot. Still, all things considered, we all landed fish and pretty much had the river to ourselves because of the conditions. All making the trip a success. We also had some stellar weather while we were there. Hardly any rain and temps got up into the 50s every day which is rare up there during that time of the year. Here are some pics for your viewing pleasure.

13065162743_9c30e210c7_o.jpg

Chasing it down the river 13065657114_a3ab97b609_o.jpg

Trying to catch up 13066436535_58ed8a8f82_o.jpg

Teamwork 13066630145_481e61aabc_o.jpg

13075366884_6c4b1c565a_o.jpg

13075546753_a38b492271_o.jpg

13118419134_4df5116a52_o.jpg

I love this part 13118427104_94b6cd0e20_o.jpg

This was one of the small waterfalls that were flowing into the river and making it so high 13119783293_2802f2077b_o.jpg

13119966384_cdae18297c_o.jpg

Featured image for home page:
slide.jpg

Looks cold, but great looking fish Justin!

Awsome looking fish.

Really sweet TR!!! Nice chromers!! Great job finding and hooking fish. That's the toughest part.
I've always wanted to fish the Clearwater. Been by it a few times on the way to the Grand Ronde. Only Idaho steelhead I've ever caught was near Riggins at the confluence of the Salmon and Little Salmon. Water wasn't spectacularly clean that day either. Making me miss my yearly trips to the Deschutes, John Day and Grand Ronde.

Hooked up on the Grand Ronde
IMGP1694.JPG

Similar threads
Thread starter Title Forum Replies Date
Nick Running the Grand Canyon in a Tule Raft General Discussion 2
Ugly A few days Running Oneida Narrows, Idaho On The Water 5
Parma Salmon River in Idaho is running very fast now General Discussion 0
swmalone Question Regarding Trail Running Shoes Gear 2
andyjaggy Running Shoes vs Boots Gear 68
D Bear Grylls Running Wild - Utah Episode General Discussion 46
Tyson Reid Barefoot Running in Collinsville Connecticut Everything Else 0
TheMountainRabbit Dana Meadows to Twin Lakes via the High Route (Yosemite/Hoover Wilderness) - August 2023 Backpacking 8
meowtaingal Wind river high route mid september Trip Planning 7
Timber High Sierra - North Lake to South Lake Loop - Layover Day Trip Planning 9
Kullaberg63 Gore high traverse Backpacking 11
Parma Camping with a double high air mattress? General Discussion 2
travel2walk preventing high altitude (khumbu) cough techniques? Resource Discussions 2
NorthwestWanderer First time in the High Uintas | Red Castle SNEAK Loop | I give these mountains 5 out of 5 stars Backpacking 7
NorthwestWanderer 8 Day High Sierra trek : Humphreys Basin, Star Col, Granite Park, Lake Italy & Piute Canyon 6/25-7/2/22 Backpacking 7
TheMountainRabbit Red's Meadow to Tuolumne Meadows via the High Route (Ansel Adams/Yosemite Wilderness) - August 2022 Backpacking 5
Bob Teton Wilderness - 50 miles of High Country - Aug 2022 Backpacking 45
TrailScot "I'll take the High Road ..." - A Loop Hike around the Canyons of Needles - May 2022 Trip Reports 14
balzaccom My second mystery novel set in the High Sierra is now out! General Discussion 6
balzaccom Gibbs Lake, High Sierra Backpacking 2
fossana Palisades Roundabout (High Sierra) Backpacking 12
fossana Evolution Loop (High Sierra) Hiking & Camping 10
N Gilbert Meadows- High Uintas Trip Planning 0
norwegianxplorer Backpacking Norway, Lysefjorden/Kjerag/Kjerag Waterfall/Kjeragbolten, 4 days Solo Hiking high above the Norwegian Fjords Trip Reports 2
balzaccom Mystery set in the High Sierra General Discussion 4
WasatchWill The High Uintas 4-4-4: Four Basins, Four Passes, Four Days Backpacking 20
C High Uintas Wilderness - Last minute plans Trip Planning 4
Mountain Wanderer High Uintas Wilderness - Granddaddy Basin Backpacking 4
Tarp Boy High Sierra Camp Loop, Yosemite, CA Trip Reports 5
fossana A taste of the GR11: 6 Days on the Travesía Pirenaica (High Pyrenees, Spain) Backpacking 18
Born to Hike Mountain Solitude: Reconnaissance Lake, High Uintas, early Sept 2019 Backpacking 9
fossana Bear Lakes > Royce Lakes overnighter (High Sierra) Backpacking 12
DrNed Plan B to High Uintas Backpacking Trip Planning 20
Dave High Uinta sheep grazing EIS General Discussion 2
J Cali: Cinder Cones, High Sierra Rambles, Famous Domes Oct 26-31, 2018 Hiking & Camping 3
R Psuedoephedrine at high altitude General Discussion 6
fossana Pine Creek/Granite Park fall excursion (High Sierra) Hiking & Camping 14
David Rule High Peaks Wilderness-August 2018 Backpacking 1
Boognish Four days in the High Sierra Backpacking 10
Born to Hike Clements Lake and East Basin in the High Uintas, mid-July 2018 Backpacking 6
scatman High Sierra Trail Backpacking 23
D Wind River High Route Trip Planning 4
LarryBoy Absarokas Fun Route - 12 Days of High Adventure Backpacking 21
Ross High Spur and North Wash Canyoneering 5
westy High Uintas - West Basin Backpacking 0
George_Washington_Hayduke High Uintas: Allen Lake and Thunderstorms Backpacking 0
westy High Uintas - Henry's, Painter, Yellowstone, Smith's Backpacking 5
westy High Uintas - Middle Basin Backpacking 5
Luke High elevation uinta campgrounds/lakes General Discussion 9
S Central Utah high alpine suggestions Trip Planning 2