Rock Canyon

Howells Outdoors

Adventure is my middle name...actually it's Keith.
Awhile back I went and did Rock Canyon. I know Rock Canyon is such a vague name for a canyon and there are about a million different Rock Canyons.
Its the one in southern Utah. The one near Zion National Park...
...It's the one that enters into the East Fork of the Virgin River from the south.

Hopefully that gives you a bearing on which of the million of Rock Canyons I'm talking about.

_MG_8802.jpg
This has to be one of my favorite canyons in the region. You get to experience it all on this canyon: the long 4x4 drive through Elephant Butte, hiking, petroglyph panels, water, rappelling, climbing, etc.

It's awesome!

We went down Rock Canyon and then climbed up to the road about a 1/2 mile down the Virgin River. A lot of people hike down to French Canyon to exit (That's just long and tedious).

_MG_8764.jpg _MG_8769.jpg
What a wonderful treat the canyon brought us...
_MG_8772.jpg _MG_8779.jpg _MG_8781.jpg _MG_8782.jpg

After the slot canyon comes the big drop. This is one of the best rappels there is. It's big and fun!
_MG_8788.jpg _MG_8790.jpg _MG_8792.jpg _MG_8793.jpg

One of my favorite views in all of my hiking adventures is this one from the bottom of the big drop.
_MG_8794.jpg _MG_8795.jpg _MG_8796.jpg

From here the canyon is a long slog through the sand, but it gets great again once your drop into the water!
_MG_8819.jpg _MG_8829.jpg _MG_8831.jpg _MG_8827.jpg

Lots of wildlife and plantlife.
_MG_8806.jpg _MG_8810.jpg _MG_8816.jpg _MG_8835.jpg _MG_8850.jpg _MG_8856.jpg

Then once you get to the Virgin River you can go upstream to the petroglyph panel...and it's pretty awesome!
_MG_8839.jpg _MG_8840.jpg _MG_8843.jpg _MG_8844.jpg _MG_8847.jpg

Featured image for home page:
slide.jpg

Attachments

• _MG_8802.jpg
    _MG_8802.jpg
    118.8 KB · Views: 11
  • _MG_8848.jpg
    _MG_8848.jpg
    78.2 KB · Views: 11
I know the answer to that! It's the result of froggy lovin' :)

salt-creek-canyonlands-13-jpg.22805

@Nick .... little bit of froggy action is correct!

Similar threads
Thread starter Title Forum Replies Date
fossana Yellow Rock, Pollock Arch, Hackberry Canyon loop (GSENM) Hiking & Camping 10
J Red Rock(s) Canyon Natl.Conservation Area Hikes and Scrambles Nov. 15 and 16, 2017 Hiking & Camping 0
J Sloan Canyon & Lake Mead summits and rock art Nov 26-28, 2016 Hiking & Camping 0
Jackson Rock Canyon Snowshoe Winter Sports 3
Blake Merrell Kayaking Lone Rock Canyon: Another beUTAHful adventure! On The Water 8
Udink Rock Canyon to Squaw Peak Hiking & Camping 3
WasatchWill BACKPACKING: Little Rock - Rock Canyon Backpacking 7
fiber Hanksville Shuttle Needed: April 18 from Burr Point to West Rock Canyon Trip Planning 0
steve Maze help needed: Route into Water Canyon from Chimney Rock? Trip Planning 9
IntrepidXJ Red Rock to Black Canyon Backpacking 3
kerkphil Sego Canyon Rock Art Everything Else 3
Scott Chandler Chimney Rock-Lower Spring Canyon, Cap Reef NP Hiking & Camping 6
kerkphil Escalante Canyon Rock Art Hiking & Camping 0
IntrepidXJ A Morning in Red Rock Canyon Everything Else 1
IntrepidXJ Searching for Rock Art in Mill Creek Canyon Hiking & Camping 1
Nick Hole-in-the-Rock and Bighorn Canyon, Escalante Hiking & Camping 14
TrailScot Hole-in-the-Rock Road - Escalante General Discussion 11
TrailScot Capitol Reef NP - 5 Day Backpacking Adventure from Chimney Rock to Burro Wash - October 2023 Backpacking 10
Jackson Little Rock Creek Backpacking 5
2eez4life Suggestions: Uintas Backpacking with some rock climbing routes Trip Planning 0
kwc Another Southern Adirondacks hike - Clockmill Pond and Rock Lake Hiking & Camping 0
R Pony Express Trail, Black Rock to Simpson Springs Hiking & Camping 3
XID_AZ Willow Gulch from Hole in the Rock Trip Planning 4
F Who has been here? Ruin off Hole-in-the-Rock road General Discussion 4
napatony13 UNUSUAL ROCK ART STYLES Off Road 4
scatman Beartooth Wilderness - Flat Rock Lake Lollipop Loop - July 26, 2021 Backpacking 56
C Coyote Gulch via Chimney rock trail Trip Planning 0
napatony13 BISHOP BACKROADS ROCK ART Off Road 2
napatony13 SUCCESSFUL SLEUTHING-Nevada Rock Art Off Road 6
Henk Moab rock art vandalized General Discussion 1
J Bunch O' N. San Rafael Swell summit scrambles April 10-12, 2021 (now w/rock art) Hiking & Camping 3
J Dayhiking Moab's awesome geography, couple hikes to summits and rock art April 8-9, 2021 Hiking & Camping 0
scatman Castle Rock - April 3, 2021 Hiking & Camping 13
norwegianxplorer Preikestolen, Pulpit Rock, Hiking Norways most Iconic and spectacular Landmark & views, Lysefjord, Norway Hiking & Camping 1
Stephanie B Fishing (for Trout) and Hunting (for Rock Art) In and Near Capitol Reef National Park Hiking & Camping 7
T Status of Traffic - Hole in the rock road - Escalante - September? Trip Planning 2
fossana Wire Pass fire (impacting House Rock Rd/Buckskin Gulch) Trip Planning 3
Stephanie B Searchin' for Ruins and Rock Art in San Juan County, UT Hiking & Camping 6
NorthwestWanderer Backpacking the Pasayten Wilderness : Harts Pass, PCT, Windy Pass, Buffalo Pass, Foggy Pass, Jim Pass, Hulman Pass & Rock Pass Meadows Backpacking 3
NorthwestWanderer Waterfall Hikes & the death of my legendary Chevy Cobalt...in a rock slide. Hiking & Camping 8
Stephanie B Eagle Rock Shelter (Delta County, CO) Hiking & Camping 2
Rockskipper Hiker seriously injured by rock at Fisher Towers General Discussion 12
Stephanie B Sand Island and Sand Dune Rock Art Hiking & Camping 1
b.stark Crack In Rock - Fall 2016 Backpacking 6
L Red Castle Lakes / Wilson Peak OR Rock Creek Basin Trip Planning 4
LoneWolfOutdoors Eagle Rock Loop Trail in Arkansas Backpacking 6
BJett Shining Rock Wilderness Backpacking 10
Strawsome What is your favorite hike in the Escalante/Hole in the rock road area? General Discussion 6
Jimmy Hole in the Rock Car Camping Trip Planning 0
powderglut Toadstools and Hoodoos in the White Rock Valley Hiking & Camping 8