Riddle Lake plus some Howard Eaton - Yellowstone National Park - September 8, 2024

scatman

This report will contain a lot of stuff so be prepared.

After backpacking out to Grebe Lake for four days, Sheila and I headed to Old Faithful to stay in the Old Faithful Lodge Cabins for two nights. On the morning of the eighth, we met up with Mr. and Mrs. @TractorDoc for breakfast at the Old Faithful Inn and after getting my belly full at the buffet, the Tractordocs headed for Canyon country and Mount Washburn while the Scat clan headed south for some grunt work at Riddle Lake.

I hadn't been to Riddle Lake since my hike years ago to Delusion Lake, so I was excited to see it again and actually spend a little time at the lake this time.

Riddle Lake is located between Yellowstone Lake (West Thumb) to the north and Heart Lake to the south. The trail is approximately 2.4 miles long - 2 miles to the lake and another 0.4 mile along the north end shoreline. I would continue on a bit further, so it turned out to be roughly a six mile out and back hike.

Riddle_Lake_Hike_100K_09_08_24.jpg
Riddle_Lake_Hike_09_08_24.jpg
Overview maps

The hike to the lake is mostly flat, through the forest, with an occasional small meadows along drainages. As one approaches the lake, there is a large meadow/marsh on the west side of the lake that you hike along the north end of. The weather was perfect for hiking with highs in the low seventies. It did cloud up a little while we were at the lake, and the wind picked up a bit which made it a little chilly if you weren't moving.

01.jpg
02.jpg
Arrived at the Riddle Lake Trailhead. The trailhead sign seems to be missing something.

03.jpg
I am here. :)

04.jpg
05.jpg
06.jpg
07.jpg
08.jpg
10.jpg
Views along the trail

11.jpg
A small section that was burned back in 88 to go through

12.jpg
Hitting the big meadow/marsh on the west side of Riddle

13.jpg
First look at Riddle Lake, with the Red Mountains, Mount Sheridan and Factory Hill in the distance

14.jpg
Lily pads were abundant on the west side of the lake

15.jpg
Happy to have reached the lake

16.jpg
Riddle Lake and the Red Mountains

17.jpg
18.jpg
Lake and shoreline views as we made our way along the north side of the lake

19.jpg
Aster in bloom along the lakeshore

20.jpg
The forest and grassy shoreline turns to a small gravel beach along the northeast side of the lake

At this point we headed off the beach to a group of trees for some shade and to eat some lunch. Before I ate my lunch though I had to put my sleuth hat on in order to find something.

Back in the 1970's and before, the Park Service maintained a backcountry campsite at Riddle. I wanted to explore and see if I could find the old campsite while I was at the lake.

21.jpg
22.jpg
On my way to find the site

23.jpg
This was my first clue that I might be getting close - top of an old can that someone used a bottle opener to punch a couple holes
through,

24.jpg
Second clue. This looked an awful lot like a trail that someone would use to get down off the
bank to get water from the lake as opposed to a game trail. So up the short trail I went.

25.jpg
This is what the area at the top of the trail looked like

26.jpg
27.jpg
28.jpg
29.jpg
I discovered sewn logs throughout an area that would represent the size of a current backcountry campsite, with no sewn logs
anywhere beyond a certain perimeter. I was convinced that I had found the old location of the backcountry campsite at Riddle
Lake.

30.jpg
Overjoyed with my find, I celebrate with a Circus Peanut.

31.jpg
32.jpg
Cameras used on the Riddle Lake hike and on the Grebe Lake backpacking trip.

33.jpg
34b.jpg
35b.jpg
Like at Grebe, there were two swans on Riddle Lake, but no cygnets with them.

35d.jpg
35e.jpg
Fire lookout on Mount Sheridan

36.jpg
Ready to head back to the trailhead

37.jpg
Riddle Lake Trail

38.jpg
I thought these logs made a neat little pattern in the grass

39.jpg
Beautiful fall fireweed along the trail

40.jpg
Emerging from the trees

41.jpg
Back at the Sube.

After our hike we headed back to Old Faithful to do some shopping and then eat dinner.

42.jpg
A Knotty, Lotty, Latte Stout

43.jpg
Bison chili

44.jpg
Jackfruit Tacos. These were quite good, but only after you squeezed the lime juice on them, otherwise they were bland.

45.jpg
A quick trip to the Bear Pit for a Cold Smoke Scotch Ale

46.jpg
A nightcap at the Old Faithful Geyser

47.jpg
Nice! The view of the moon through this lens was incredible.

48.jpg
He looks pretty refreshed after the climb up Washburn. What his secret? :)

49.jpg
Old Faithful Inn on our way to breakfast

50.jpg
Took a picture of this sign after the ranger who was keeping an eye on a bull bison that I mentioned in another post made us
deviate from our path to the general store.

52.jpg
53.jpg
54.jpg
We arrived at the general store a little early as it hadn't opened yet, so we walked along the boardwalk to see some thermal
features. @TractorDoc will have to tell you what their names are as I have already forgotten them. :)

So after a quick look in the general store, we were off to Jackson for the night. Along our way south through the park, I stopped at the divide trailhead to check on the old Howard Eaton Trail.

This section of the trail runs from Spring Creek to DeLacy Creek, passing through Norris Pass

55.jpg
I am here. :)

56.jpg
57.jpg
58.jpg
59.jpg
60.jpg
61.jpg
62.jpg
63.jpg
65.jpg
64.jpg
Images of the old Howard Eaton Trail. We turned around after about a half mile when we reached this "I" blaze and headed back
to the car.

Then onto Jackson

65b.jpg
65c.jpg
65d.jpg
65e.jpg
65f.jpg
65g.jpg
Typical views of the Tetons.

66.jpg
Of course you know we stopped at Moos for a Oreo dark malt.

67.jpg
And onto the Merry Piglets for some Tex-Mex. Sheila enjoyed the "Big Pig" with our dinner - a 32 oz. margarita

68.jpg
While I had an old fashion with my chili poblano and chicken enchilada.

And the next day we were off for home.

70.jpg
Breakfast at the Virginian - a spinach, fresh jalapeño omelet with pepper jack cheese. Best omelet ever!

71.jpg
In Logan, we stopped for Aggie Ice Cream

72.jpg
73.jpg
Where I enjoyed another Oreo malt. It's not as good as the one they make at Moos. Step up your game Aggies! :D

The End.

Last edited:
More Swans! You have quite the affinity for them this year in Yellowstone. I'm not sure if I even saw one.

Great detective work on finding the old Riddle Lake Campsite. Make sure you add that to your archive of "Yellowstone: Lost then Found."

I bet your Scatty Senses start to tingle anytime you approach a portion of the old Howard Eaton Trail. Good thing you were able to recharge from another stint in Yellowstone with not one but two Oreo Malts. . . even if one was inferior. :)

Back