Album Reptiles

almost stepped on this guy during a hike in the tall prairie grass of South Dakota earlier this summer

i-Xf2n5Vk-L.jpg

Western Prairie Rattlesnake

I captured this very curious Garter Snake today with my Canon S100 on my way out of Kanarra Creek.
It didn't move for a while and was barely visible at first.

i-HXJWmxV-L.jpg

i-V4r9cmH-L.jpg

I bet thats not a garter snake but something rarer, like a racer? Head seems different and never seen a garter do that cobra neck elevation thing like that.

I bet thats not a garter snake but something rarer, like a racer? Head seems different and never seen a garter do that cobra neck elevation thing like that.

it's a desert striped whipsnake, it took me a while to figure that out. Very common here in the area.
I guess after a few years living here it's getting easier to ID all the wildlife out here

my first one for this year on my porch last Friday. It was still a bit chilly in the morning and it was barely moving, but after it warmed up it quickly run for cover.

i-j8SgDzv-L.jpg

when I was camping this weekend in Nevada, I saw more than a few dozen with my UV light. It was so much fun so search for them, they were everywhere.

i-WvDxgbZ-L.jpg

unfortunately only a handheld point and shoot camera image, since I used my good camera for some night shots at the same time

Frame grab from some phone video. A little lizard back where my dog gets his miles in. Didn't know we had these things nearby.

2Untitled-1.jpg

Copperhead. Red River Gorge, Kentucky.

P6020010.jpg

Timber Rattlesnake, the only rattlesnake found in Kentucky. Spotted yesterday, they're coming out of their slumber.

2A4A0098.JPG

Praying Mantis from a day hike earlier this week. He jumped off the trail right in front of me, at first I thought it was a grasshopper since I've never seen a praying mantis jump. Luckily it stood still long enough for me to sit down with my camera and stick a lens in its face. Two photos and it was moving deeper into the brush.

Sep%2B30%2B2020.jpg

Sep%2B30%2B2020_1.jpg

Back