Recommendation for Outdoor Handheld GPS

Nik

I am looking to buy a handheld GPS for hiking. Any recommendations would be helpful.

Thanks

Get a Garmin. The models have different bells & whistles and prices, but get Garmin.

I'd also recommend to find one that you can change the basemap on. Color screen is nice, but optional.

I second Garmin for a stand alone device.. I have moved away from using my stand alone device to using my smart phone. It gives me the option of having a Book, GPS, notepad and camera all in one lightweight device.. Backcountry navigator is the Android App that I prefer. But if a stand alone is what you want uintahiker is on the money.. but I would for sure want color (makes reading Topo's easier).

I second Garmin for a stand alone device.. I have moved away from using my stand alone device to using my smart phone. It gives me the option of having a Book, GPS, notepad and camera all in one lightweight device.. Backcountry navigator is the Android App that I prefer. But if a stand alone is what you want uintahiker is on the money.. but I would for sure want color (makes reading Topo's easier).
How's the battery life on your android running the GPS? Do you take spare batteries? I've always taken my garmin just to save the batteries in my phone...

How's the battery life on your android running the GPS? Do you take spare batteries? I've always taken my garmin just to save the batteries in my phone...
I use my smart phone and use BackCountry Navigator, I went thru 3 GPS apps before I found this one. I feel it is the best out there. Battery life is great, just did a 3 day trip and battery made the whole 3 days with taking video and pictures. If you put your phone in airplane mode it really extends the life as it is not always searching for a cell signal. That being said if you use it in tracking mode it will run down in a day. If your worried about getting off your path I draw out the path and download it into the app and periodically pin point my location to make sure I am on track. I do carry a spare battery just in case though.

Sent from my SGH-T999 using Tapatalk 2

Like go-deep I don't lay out a track but instead put markers at key intersections when I am off trail traveling. If I am on the trail I don't really see a need to pin or track. my battery will last about 2.5 days on my Galaxy S 4g on airplane mode and using backcountry nav every time I want to look at the map and pinpoint my location. I do carry a backup battery thing that also has the ability to recharge itself VIA solar to 50% so I have never ran out of juice.
I have also used a number of different apps and backcountry nav while it has some hinky interface stuff that is not intuitive is the best by far.

Backcountry navigator is the Android App that I prefer.

Once again this forum is the source of great information, just bought the app and maps. I got 'lost' last week within sight of my truck, turned out the mesa I climbed up onto only had one way down, and I had a hard time finding it from the rim. Biff & I ran out of water and were hot and tired when we eventually got back to the truck.

Ha, first lesson learned. I took the phone with the GPS turned on and map loaded, couldn't read it because I don't normally take my reading glasses on dog walks...

I am looking to buy a handheld GPS for hiking. Any recommendations would be helpful.

Thanks
I love my Garmin 60csx. You can load all the topo maps you need. Screen is fantastic, no backlight needed. Batteries last 20 hours. I also have the Garmin 400. I the like 60 the best.

I lost my Garmin 400 camping with my family in the Swell. I didn't care for the touchscreen and the lighting wasn't that great. Maybe whoever found it, thinks the same. :hungry: The screen size was nice though. I found an older Garmin 60 Hcx? on KSL. I liked the interface but, it wouldn't let me download the paperless geocaches. Just bought a Garmin Etrex 20. Despite a smaller screen size, it has all the features that I was looking for. I use it on my motorcycle and geocaching with the kids.

Reactions: Nik
I use the Garmin Oregon 450. For what's out there, I really like it. I feel that the GPS market pretty much sucks overall though, I really wish they could catch up to smart phones when it comes to touchscreen tech and user interface. So with that said, I feel it's a good choice. I don't use the backlight on it except at night and I get 2 days of hiking out of a set of AA rechargeable nimhs or 4 days out of a set of AA lithiums. It's had the crap beaten out of it the last few years and has even come swimming a few times and it's held up great. With a 4GB micro SD inserted, it holds enough maps that I never have to plug it in to load in new ones.

garmin-oregon-450-review.jpg

Reactions: Nik
I'm with DOSS and Go-Deep on this one, as I also use my smartphone. Although my app of choice is Gaia GPS. The biggest advantage IMO is the access to official colored and shaded USGS topos, which look beautiful on the phone. My only complaint before was the short battery life, but like what was stated above you can just activate Airplane mode to save some juice when not in use. Also, I just recently purchased the 7oz Brunton Inspire Portable Power Device, which gives my iPhone a few extra full charges. Great for those week long treks or weekends when you want to leave your phone on and fully track your progress.