Questions about La Sportiva Xplorer

powderglut

In search of Fresh
I'm thinking about buying this shoe. I'm not a technical canyoneer so I'd be using it mainly as a hiking shoe that I don't mind getting wet. I like the reports of the sticky sole though.
Sizing? True to size? I would wear regular socks and not neoprenes.
How about the insoles? Are they decent? or would you change them out for something better?
Any opinions on the wear and tear, fit, comfort, etc. would be appreciated.
Something way better?

they seem to be decent, but they fit my foot so narrow i haven't given them a real thorough test. they are definitely lightweight, good in the water, drain well, dry fast. nice sole. but they are suuuper narrow. i definitely could not wear neos with them. i've tried different insoles too, but sill too tight on my heelcup.

I've never worn La Sportivas but I've hiked with some friends who did. Not sure if it was this model but they all had good things to say. The Five Ten Camp Four is another one to look at. Super sticky rubber soles exactly like the ones on the Canyoneers but in a nice hiking shoe. I have a pair as do several others here on BCP. Love 'em. I also quite enjoy the Vasque Scree hiking boots. They are light weight hiking boots available in mid and low versions with stealth rubber soles.

Edit - missed the part about not minding getting them wet. The options above are best dry but I get mine wet a lot.

I'm definitely looking for something I can get wet. My Scarpas are for mountain and dry hiking. I used a pair of Korker wading shoes (interchangeable soles) for this spring's hiking when I knew I was wet hiking.. They worked pretty well but.. I really beat the toes up on them. They are my fly fishing shoes, so I'll probably need to get some shoe goo or some type of adhesive to fix the damage I did to the fronts. It sounded like the Sportiva was about what I was looking for. Durable, sticky sole and hike in them wet. I don't think I want the Canyoneers they sound to stiff and burly.

I don't think the canyoneers are necessarily too burly. I quite like hiking in them. I recently bought a pair that was sized for just wearing socks and they did great EXCEPT that I ended up with open wounds on my heals. They didn't hurt or anything until it was already too late and I really want to keep using them like that if I could just get the courage to try them again with just socks.

they seem to be decent, but they fit my foot so narrow i haven't given them a real thorough test. they are definitely lightweight, good in the water, drain well, dry fast. nice sole. but they are suuuper narrow. i definitely could not wear neos with them. i've tried different insoles too, but sill too tight on my heelcup.
Dan, would you say you're pretty normal foot size? I lean a little to the narrow, pretty close to normal. I usually hike with a medium light Smartwool or Point 6 sock. I've usually been pretty lucky with shoes so far. Just looking for that right one for the desert, slickrock, and water. This one kinda sounds good for just under $100.
Nick, I do not want open wounds on my heels, Please!! :cry:

Dan, would you say you're pretty normal foot size? I lean a little to the narrow, pretty close to normal. I usually hike with a medium light Smartwool or Point 6 sock. I've usually been pretty lucky with shoes so far. Just looking for that right one for the desert, slickrock, and water. This one kinda sounds good for just under $100.
Nick, I do not want open wounds on my heels, Please!! :cry:

I have a fairly normal foot, yes. I still think the xplorer is narrower than most. I've worn a handful of other sportivas, and think these are tighter, especially in the heel cup.

i think for folks with narrow feet, they have huge potential. not as a daily canyoneer, but as a hybrid fastpacking/canyon shoe, that will drain and dry quickly.

i'd hesitate to compare them to anything like the camp 4, as they are totally different shoes. the xplorers are much lighter weight. and full synthetic. i think if you can find a place to try 'em on, you might really like 'em. i wouldn't take them into canyons where they would get beat up quick though. the laces break easily, and the sides on the upper are pretty thin.

i'd consider them more of a trail runner type approach shoe, efficient and lightweight. feel tactile on the feet, but with a somewhat stiff edge and toe.

on the other hand, i would consider the canyoneers to be big floppy boats for shoes, fairly burly, but not stiff. just big globs of sticky rubber, really. i am not a big fan of the canyoneer either. only time i even consider them is when i have thick neos on too.