PSA: Zion NP off-limit Research Natural Areas

Now do remember years ago when the South Fork of the Virgin River or also called the Parunuweap area was open for hiking. Did not hike it then but should have. Then the Park Service closed the whole area off limits. One of the reasons that this area is closed to people is that up the South Fork of the Virgin River is the old town, now ghost town, called Shunesburg. Think that Shunesburg still is private property from the old landowners and they did not like the visitation of the area. So think this is one reason why this area is closed to the public. But do wish they would open the Parunuweap to hikers again.

And some of these back restricted areas is actually really really hard accessible areas, like the tops of some of those buttes where the only means of access is to rock climb up the walls. And because of this, these areas and the tops of these selected buttes are relic vegetated areas that have never had cattle grazing on them. This is one reason for the restricted access. But again since only experienced rock climbers would be able to access those areas, not a big loss to the hiking public.

But on the other hand, we as a country is founded on the principle ... for the people, by the people, to serve the people. Thomas Jefferson said that the best government is the government which governs least. It soooo irks me when federal bureaucrats act like Lords over us the public and treats us the public like peons. Sometimes when I talk to certain government personnel do I get this feeling sometimes that they know what is better and am just a peon or low serf. We are actually the boss and as taxpayers pay their salaries. I stand bigtime whole heartedly in protecting and preserving the wilderness. But so dislike when encountering some government bureaucrat who thinks he has the right to micro manage my life. I love the National Parks but a big part of my hiking life have gone repeatedly into the National Forests and the BLM areas where frankly I have much more freedom and much less restrictions. And for example all that BLM Canyon Country stretching across Southern Utah, and those wonderful Absaroka and Wind River Mountains in Wyoming, the wonderful San Juan's, in Colorado, and on and on ... where in those areas, one can go into the wilds and just live with Enjoying Life! And guess get lost on purpose with wandering about the rest of your days away from humanity, to the government bureaucrats dismay.

Wishing Everyone the Best!
Parunuweap Canyon that is within ZNP is closed to hiking. The main reason is that there are many archaeological sites that have been trashed by pot hunters & they're trying to preserve what's left. It's probably the richest archaeological area in ZNP. By far the best parts of Parunuweap are to the E of the park.

Reactions: Bob
So it's the same part closed west of the falls then basically. They didn't it out to the private land east.

Reactions: AWR
Still looking at the map, heading east up the South Fork of the Virgin River - the Parunuweap, before one gets to the park land ... one crosses private land. This is where Shunesburg used to be. And my understanding is that the landowners there closed all access to outsiders. So one cannot go up the South Fork of the Virgin River anyway because one is unable to cross the private land unless trespassing.

From the east the Parunuweap RNA closure starts at Labyrinth Falls, just downstream of the Powell Plaque.

One RNA I know of has been that way for over 25 years..

Is the entire parunuweap closed now? cant find a decent map
Upper parunuweap canyon from the east park boundary to labyrinth falls is still open. Below the falls west towards Springdale is RNA