Primitive camping near Joe's Valley

Nick

-
I'm planning on heading up to Joe's Valley with some family this summer. I've never been to that area. Can anyone fill me in on the possibilities for primitive camping in the vicinity? Specifically the kind that can be reached with a trailer? Any other tips or advice on the area? I'm planning on bringing the boat up to see if we can find some of the Tiger Musky in there.

There is lots of potential camping along the Upper Joe's Valley road. Of course you can stay in the camp grounds near the marinas, or head to Indian Creek Campground.

Camp sites can be found along any of the major dirt roads too. Do you want to stay close to the reservoir?

I don't care that much if we're super close. We'll pull the boat out at night and bring it back to camp. I'm more concerned about having some space between us and our nearest neighbors so my dogs can run around.

I think the best primitive camping anywhere near Joe's that you'll find is along the road to Grassy Lake, right about here. The switchbacks are steep, but the road is wide and graveled.

And, like Blake said, there are spots along Miller Flat Road (e.g., here), but they're all pretty close to the road. The farther north you go the more spots there are farther from the road, especially north of the Potter's Ponds turnoff, but that's a long way to be pulling a boat back and forth.

The lack of good, out-of-the-way camping near Joe's Valley is the main reason I haven't pulled my camp trailer up there.

Hmmmm... I always stayed on my grandpa's 100 acre property up there, so I don't' have a ton of experience camping near the reservoir. I do know that there are camping pullout along Lowery waters, Indian Creek, and up along the mountain as you head toward Manti. If you are willing to drive up in into Upper Joes (near Potters Pond) there is a bunch of sites along that road that are good for camping. But it means long drives to the reservoir.

That's too bad there's nothing close by, but it looks like there is a good amount to choose from up that road past the switchbacks. A few miles isn't too bad. Is it the kind of road you could take a big camper trailer on? Well graded gravel or narrow/tight corners?

The switchbacks are wide and well graded gravel. Although looking at the satellite imagery just now reminded me of the road section labeled White Dugway Road on the topo--it's narrow and dirt and probably not great for a big trailer, especially if there's oncoming traffic. Just below that are some spots that would be okay, though.

Hmmm... maybe this isn't going to work for what we had planned. My brother-in-law we're camping with has a fifth wheel camper. Almost sounds better as just a day trip but that's just way too far to drive for that. Suck.

Wow, Joe's Valley! That brings back memories from 4 decades back when I did a gig for the Manti-LaSal. We had rain gauges all over the area above the reservoir and some even over on the Manti side. I was always in a 4x4 truck or on a sled so don't recall the road conditions with respect to trailers or 5th wheels but there are (or were) some nice camping areas up Lowry Water.

Similar threads
Thread starter Title Forum Replies Date
blueeyes Primitive camping near Tusayan, AZ?? Trip Planning 3
Bridgette Primitive Camping Near Arches Trip Planning 2
steve Where are your favorite primitive camping spots near Capitol Reef/Torrey? General Discussion 6
Upgrayedd Primitive car camping in the Uintas? Trip Planning 1
Nick Cathedral Valley primitive camping Trip Planning 33
Nick East Zion primitive camping General Discussion 2
K Rabbitstick Primitive Skills Gathering General Discussion 1
Nick Primitive spots north/west of Bryce Trip Planning 17
IntrepidXJ Devils Garden Primitive Loop Hiking & Camping 3
Parma Camping with a double high air mattress? General Discussion 2
Jackson What does "car camping" mean, in your opinion? General Discussion 33
dhertbag Camping at Cottonwood Cove - Coyote Buttes South Trip Planning 11
norwegianxplorer Backpacking SAREK NATIONAL PARK, Arctic Sweden, Camping Above RAPADALEN delta. Backpacking 7
Rockskipper Car Camping Tent Suggestions Gear 37
norwegianxplorer Winter storms, camping in Norway Trip Reports 0
Dreamer Sublette County backroads fly fishing and truck camping On The Water 7
G Dispersed camping near Zion? Trip Planning 5
IlVagabondo Yellowstone Camping Question General Discussion 13
swmalone Camping suggestions for Escalante in May Trip Planning 2
TeamJenkins17 Wyoming winter camping Trip Planning 4
TrektheWorld Family Camping Vehicle & Camper with bikes and an HOA Gear 13
swmalone Yellowstone Camping Trip - August 18-20, 2020 Hiking & Camping 21
kwc Northern Adirondack car camping On The Water 0
Happyidiot Looking for camping spot close to Denver. General Discussion 2
kwc Wiliam C. Whitney Wilderness canoe camping (Adirondacks) On The Water 10
A Virginia/Delaware Camping Trip Planning 4
Miya Snow Camping = Frozen Face? Resource Discussions 17
Outdoors24 Your car camping cooking setup General Discussion 39
Titans Permits car camping Grand Staircase Escalante NM? Trip Planning 6
S Backcountry camping tips for Wind Rivers - upper Green River valley via canoe Trip Planning 5
Stephanie B Camping/Off-Roading Gear for Sale Gear 0
balzaccom Car camping the Navajo Rez and Mojave Hiking & Camping 6
Mikjik86 Video Hiking/Camping San Rafael Swell/Goblin Valley/Horseshoe Canyon - Feb 2019 Hiking & Camping 2
JBPHXAZ Needles District Car Camping Suggestions Trip Planning 3
Mikjik86 Good car camping? Stuff to do near Goblin Valley area Feb 24,25,26? Trip Planning 15
C Camping at Beaver Falls, Havasupai Trip Planning 1
swmalone GSENM Camping Question Trip Planning 37
NorthwestWanderer A Year Camping in the PNW Photography 3
TrektheWorld Need help with Uintas trip - camping Trip Planning 8
F Quick Lake Blanche (Utah) camping Q? Trip Planning 9
powderglut Camping By the Henry Mts, Slots, and Cedar Mesa Ruins Hiking & Camping 9
P Any Quiet Camping Suggestions? Trip Planning 2
Vegan.Hiker Car Camping Window Screens Gear 11
Jimmy Hole in the Rock Car Camping Trip Planning 0
Wanderlust073 Winter camping at Lake Helene, RMNP Backpacking 14
WasatchWill Camping in a Land Before Time Hiking & Camping 11
D April backpacking/car-camping trip Trip Planning 16
Angeles Explorer Camping Trip to Frog Meadow in the Sequoia National Forest Hiking & Camping 4
J Camping outside East entrance of Zion NP General Discussion 2
Ian Camping on the Tour of Mont Blanc Backpacking 2