Practically a Noob in Every Way

Miya

Because I am able.
Hello!

I just started backpacking over the summer. While I try and get out every weekend or every other, I continue to learn things the hard way and 100% agree with classifying myself as a noob.

I have no friends passionate in hiking. Understandably, they are probably becoming annoyed with my incessant hiking chatter, I thought this would be a good alternative. I cannot wait to hear advice and learn from others.

Humbly,
-Miya

If you get out there every other weekend you won't be a noob for long. Welcome! What have been some of your adventures thus far?

Welcome @Miya ! You’re in the right crowd here :)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

If you get out there every other weekend you won't be a noob for long. Welcome! What have been some of your adventures thus far?

Pretty much central and Northern California. I would consider myself a waterfall junkie, and enjoy areas near Redding, the most.
I have been avoiding Yosemite, because of crowds, but will be training there during the winter months.
I love trails off 108, near Kennedy Meadows, probably my favorite.
Have had some stupid experiences with getting too close to waterfall edges, landing on my head, or not realizing how cold I get at night, but lessons are officially learned. :)

I have no friends passionate in hiking. Understandably, they are probably becoming annoyed with my incessant hiking chatter, I thought this would be a good alternative.
I think this describes a lot of us on here. Though many of my friends like to hike, most aren't interested in talking a ton about it. You've found the right site. And welcome!

I think this describes a lot of us on here. Though many of my friends like to hike, most aren't interested in talking a ton about it. You've found the right site. And welcome!

Thanks! Happy to have found this site!

Welcome. If you get out every other week you will meet others.

You mentioned training at Yosemite. Care to elaborate? Ice Climbing? CC skiing?

Welcome. If you get out every other week you will meet others.

You mentioned training at Yosemite. Care to elaborate? Ice Climbing? CC skiing?

Just training because I am out of shape and am going to start doing longer backpacking trips. Right now just been one or two nights at a time because of work.
I just want to get to a point where I hike eith my pack at high elevation with lots of gain and not struggle quite so much. :)

Two books may be of substantial help to you, as they were for me when I decided to become serious about backpacking. Freedom of the Hills is a time-tested classic. It covers the basics to very technical stuff. The other is the National Outdoor Leadership School (NOLS) Wilderness Guide. Although nothing beats real trail experience, these books will give you a lot of ideas to consider. NOLS has several books covering a variety of topics also.

Welcome to the site! I think honestly the best way to get better is practice, practice, practice. Always do your research, always be sure to take along all you MIGHT need (doing your best to not overpack of course), prepare ahead of time with maps and such, and know when its a good time to turn back, slow down, etc. I originally started my backpacking in the Southeast where the highest mountain was not more than 7k. I discovered the hard way when I moved out west about altitude :-D. I think the people here give great advice, feedback, and provide tons of great ideas for gear, trips, etc. So keep perusing the site, keep asking, and keep going on the trails at your own pace.

Two books may be of substantial help to you, as they were for me when I decided to become serious about backpacking. Freedom of the Hills is a time-tested classic. It covers the basics to very technical stuff. The other is the National Outdoor Leadership School (NOLS) Wilderness Guide. Although nothing beats real trail experience, these books will give you a lot of ideas to consider. NOLS has several books covering a variety of topics also.

Thanks so much! I am such a planner, and while I have encountered many situations I did not plan for and handled them, I always want to be more prepared next time. I love reading, so will check those out!

Welcome to the site! I think honestly the best way to get better is practice, practice, practice. Always do your research, always be sure to take along all you MIGHT need (doing your best to not overpack of course), prepare ahead of time with maps and such, and know when its a good time to turn back, slow down, etc. I originally started my backpacking in the Southeast where the highest mountain was not more than 7k. I discovered the hard way when I moved out west about altitude :-D. I think the people here give great advice, feedback, and provide tons of great ideas for gear, trips, etc. So keep perusing the site, keep asking, and keep going on the trails at your own pace.

Practice, I am definitely doing that! :)
I have done some stupid things so far, that I didn't even think were stupid at the time, but now I am glad that I got through safely. One of my beginning hikes, the trail started over 9000. I only managed 2.5 miles and got just over 10,000 before I realized I underestimated the elevation and had to turn back. I was able to go back a couple months later and finish though!
This site has been so beneficial so far! I kept seeing Tarptent all over this site, and will be ordering one any day! I had never even heard of it before.
Thanks!

Happy to have you here! I'm sure you'll enjoy the company of others here.