Poison Spring Canyon / Black Jump Fall 2021

XID_AZ

Apologies, this should have been in Trip Planning. If a Mod could move it there, I'd appreciate it.

I was told by a Ranger at the Hans Flat Ranger station that Poison Spring Road coming into Sunset Pass may be impassable due to rockfall. She didn't know where exactly the rockfall was at. I'm going to contact the Hanksville BLM office to see if they know the current conditions and location, but wanted to see if anyone here knew about this and where it might be and what the current conditions were.

I was hoping to drive Poison Spring canyon, up Black Jump, camp and then do a day hike into Happy Canyon in early November. I've heard that the BLM office may do some grading of Black Jump yearly after the monsoons, in October. I'll ask the BLM office that question as well.

After the hike, I was going to spend some time in The Maze, so i'll be coming out via Sunset pass.

Appreciate any recent information about the road/area if you have it.

Andy

Received a reply from the BLM office:
"Staff from our office attempted to go down Poison Spring Canyon a couple of weeks ago and could not get past the first wash crossing with a full sized vehicle. The area has received two substantial rain storm events since then and the flow in the river itself was up to 15000 cfs which would probably have made that impassable until grading occurs. Because there has not been access into the canyon, our office has not received any other reports regarding conditions such as the Black Jump Road. Generally the Black Jump Road is more suited to narrow vehicles or UTV/ATV because it is a narrow mining road."

"The maintenance of the Poison Spring, North Hatch to Sunset Pass roads is done by Garfield County. I do not know when they will get to that road. Major storms throughout the county have kept them pretty busy the last few weeks, just keeping the main arteries open."

Because of this information, i'm going to change my plans and will attempt Black Jump another time.

yeah, I'd expect many dirt roads in that part of the world to be blown for a while.

for what it's worth I had a full-width vehicle (4runner) on the black jump road and it's fine, but definitely a bit squeezy in a couple spots.

Last edited:
Similar threads
Thread starter Title Forum Replies Date
hatchcanyon Poison Spring Canyon (1998) Off Road 0
D Invite Dirty Devil - Burr to Poison Spring Packraft March 12-13 Meet Up (Members Only) 0
Stephanie B Dirty Devil River Impassible at Poison Springs Canyon Off Road 0
regehr Poison springs road Trip Planning 3
K Poison Ivy Levels in Death Hollow Trip Planning 5
Blake Merrell Poison Fest! Canyoneering 7
Ross Poison Spider Mesa views of Behind the Rocks Trip Planning 3
steve Spotted: Poison Ivy, Oak, or Sumac General Discussion 23
IntrepidXJ Happy Canyon & Poison Springs Hiking & Camping 7
gloo Poison Springs: Arscenic, Constrychnine & Slideanide Canyoneering 14
Bob A Spring Pick Me Up General Discussion 6
westy Colorado Plateau spring Hiking & Camping 0
Bob Close to Spring day ...... General Discussion 3
SteveR Big Spring-Elephant Canyon dayhike. With free bonus vacation pix! Hiking & Camping 13
Bob Beartooth changes from Spring flooding General Discussion 2
XID_AZ Kanab Creek Wilderness - Sowats Canyon - Mountain Sheep Spring Trip Planning 6
SteveR A Tale Of Two Passes- A Spring Ski Tour in Alberta Winter Sports 4
regehr Lower Horseshoe Canyon and Big Spring Trip Planning 7
NorthwestWanderer 4 Days Backpacking Capitol Reef : Spring Canyon & Various side canyons Backpacking 5
kwc Adirondack Spring Hiking Continued Hiking & Camping 3
kwc Adirondack Spring Hike #? Hiking & Camping 1
danger02ward 2020 Spring Beatout traverse Winter Sports 18
J Mount Nutt Wilderness Cave Spring Area dayhike Nov 26, 2019 Hiking & Camping 0
montanaclimber advice Grand Canyon backpacking Spring 2020 Trip Planning 16
wsp_scott Dolly Sods spring Backpacking 9
fossana CO Plateau backpacking suggestions for spring run-off season Trip Planning 14
canadug Spring Break in the Mojave Desert Hiking & Camping 4
I Zion-South Utah Spring Break - March 9th-March 14th Trip Planning 15
WasatchWill Spring Break Ideas for Vernal/Dino Quarry NM Trip Planning 3
S Spring Canyon, Capitol Reef-vehicle shuttle Sun, Mar 24. Meet Up (Members Only) 0
Jazzy Joe Looking for Escalante Area Short Backpacking Suggestions Early Spring Trip Planning 21
b.stark CO/UT Spring 2018 - A trip to get away Backpacking 10
fossana Spring Canyon/Sulphur Canyon loop (Capitol Reef) Hiking & Camping 24
Dave Hells Half and Honaker, Spring 2018 On The Water 9
Perry Spring Day Hike up Boulder Creek Hiking & Camping 2
Outdoors24 Overnight in Lower Spring Canyon Backpacking 5
Devin Ashby Nate’s Canyon/ Spring Canyon San Rafael Swell Trip Planning 2
Perry Leona Spring Trail to UHT - A New Personal Best Day Hike Hiking & Camping 2
Eugene Paria Canyon from White House to Big Spring Backpacking 3
kimbur96 Davis Meadows for a chilly spring overnighter, Duncan's first ! Backpacking 4
Kyle P Spring Hiking Pants Gear 2
TrektheWorld Spring Break in Moab Hiking & Camping 0
M Early Spring Backpacking in Utah? Trip Planning 2
Jackson Lower Spring Canyon in Winter Backpacking 14
Parma Druid Arch Trail Spring General Discussion 2
Kyle P Death Hollow In the Spring Trip Planning 22
Eugene Spring 2016 3 day backpack suggestions Trip Planning 6
Julia Spring Break Backpacking Trip Planning 1
Dave B. Spring Backpacking Trip Trip Planning 6
Mike K Red Baldy Spring Summit Hiking & Camping 10