point and shoot-What to buy?

Tater Head

Hoo are you looking at?
After looking at this thread http://backcountrypost.com/forum/threads/pocket-cam-pics-lets-see-em.2156/ it has made me think I should get a better quality pocket camera. I'm currently using a cheap little Nikon camera. I was looking at the Canon s110 but I have read a lot of negative reviews about the lens breaking and battery issues among other things. These reviews were not exclusive to just the s110. I'm sure a certain percentage of all cameras will have some problems. So I was wondering if any of you have had similar problems or like other brands/model?

After looking at this thread http://backcountrypost.com/forum/threads/pocket-cam-pics-lets-see-em.2156/ it has made me think I should get a better quality pocket camera. I'm currently using a cheap little Nikon camera. I was looking at the Canon s110 but I have read a lot of negative reviews about the lens breaking and battery issues among other things. These reviews were not exclusive to just the s110. I'm sure a certain percentage of all cameras will have some problems. So I was wondering if any of you have had similar problems or like other brands/model?

I have ZERO knowledge when it comes to cameras but I was in the market for a cheap but hopefully decent point and shoot to tote around while hiking and did a little bit of research. I ended up picking up the Canon ELPH 340HS which I was able to find on sale for $180. I chose it because it had the features I wanted (wi-fi, 1080p video) and a relatively longer zoom (12x optical) than the others in the price range. I had read a few reviews of it beforehand that complained that the longer lense for a little P&S somehow resulted in excess photo noise in low light settings, but I knew I wouldn't be using it in low light situations so I opted for the longer zoom anyways.

Anything Sony really. Sony Rx100 II is really awesome, probably better image quality than most non full frame SLR's.

Sony has been giving Canon and Nikon a run for their money, they have really been innovating the past few years while Canon and Nikon have been mostly stagnant. Nikon uses Sony sensors in their cameras if that means anything.

I have been eyeing the Samsung NX series, specifically something along the lines of the 2000. The Improvephotography blog/podcast boys recommended it.

Similar threads
Thread starter Title Forum Replies Date
TrektheWorld I need a new point and shoot camera Photography 1
kballing Point and Shoot Photography 34
scatman Pencil Point - March 11, 2023 Hiking & Camping 15
wsp_scott Point Reyes August 2022 Hiking & Camping 6
balzaccom Point Reyes wildlife Hiking & Camping 2
Tim Valentine Point Reyes National Seashore December 2021 Hiking & Camping 14
BackpackingtheSierras Point Reyes National Seashore Coast Camp Trip Backpacking 4
fossana Browns Point > Summit > Whipple loop (Pine Valley Mountains Wilderness, UT) Hiking & Camping 1
misSOULa Montana's Bitterroot Mountains: Big Creek Lakes and Ranger Point Backpacking 2
NorthwestWanderer Olympic Peninsula - Sand Point & Cape Flattery Hiking & Camping 5
Miya 'Rain' in the New Year - Point Reyes National Seashore, CA Backpacking 14
NorthwestWanderer Junior Point, Chelan Mountains, WA Backpacking 1
Eugene Monument Point to Thunder River and Deer Creek Backpacking 9
J Burr Point Happy Canyon Airstrip Trip Planning 0
Udink Deadman Point, Haystack Mountain, and Mount Tukuhnikivatz Hiking & Camping 3
Udink Angel Point to Robber's Roost Canyon Hiking & Camping 0
Bryan Harwood Bitterroot Summit Hike #3: Gash Point Hiking & Camping 0
hatchcanyon Utah: Green River, Fossil Point Off Road 1
Nick Ringing in 2016 at Alstrom Point Hiking & Camping 20
fiber Happy Canyon/Sams Mesa Box Canyon - 4 day loop from Burr Point Canyoneering 7
Blake Merrell Wind River Trip - Day 4 - Indian Basin and Knife Point Glaicer Backpacking 4
Udink Angel Point Trail - West Hiking & Camping 6
uintahiker Hiking Mt Magazine/Signal Hill: Arkansas State High Point Hiking & Camping 1
D Anyone been to Tatahatso Point, Navajo Nation Trip Planning 1
Jammer Alstrom Point Road Conditions? Trip Planning 9
balzaccom Yosemite off Glacier Point Road Backpacking 0
fiber Hanksville Shuttle Needed: April 18 from Burr Point to West Rock Canyon Trip Planning 0
hatchcanyon Buckacre Point Trip Planning 0
Laura Directions to Marlboro Point? Trip Planning 8
Joey Sams Mesa/Twin Corral Box Canyons Loop from Burr Point Backpacking 11
Ben Grand Canyon, Tonto trail, Grandview Point to Hermits Rest. 8 days, october Backpacking 21
Hurakan Highline to Grandview point to point Trip Planning 0
jonmessina Lava Point Campground Trip Planning 1
uintahiker Texas High Point: Guadalupe Peak Hiking & Camping 0
R good meeting point for Grand Canyon North Rim Trip Planning 1
Kristen M. Caldon Photo 3 strikes on Plateau Point Hiking & Camping 6
IntrepidXJ Zabriskie Point to Badwater Hiking & Camping 6
Kristen M. Caldon Photo Grand Canyon Hiking~ South Bass to Tiyo Point 10/12 Backpacking 10
ROKTAXI White Pocket, The Wave & Alstrom Point Hiking & Camping 9
IntrepidXJ Alstrom Point to Johns Canyon Hiking & Camping 8
IntrepidXJ Flag Point Hiking & Camping 5
Tyler Zion West Rim backpacking September 2009 (Lava Point to the main canyon) Backpacking 7
IntrepidXJ Marlboro Point Sunrise Photography 9
jdgibney $1500 to shoot in wilderness areas?!?! Photography 17
Nick How to Shoot Star Trail Photos Resource Discussions 5
Nick How to shoot panoramic photos Photography 9
Nick How To Shoot Star Trails Photography 44
balzaccom What did you NOT buy today? Gear 49
LarryBoy What car should I buy? Gear 50
wsp_scott Help me buy a bike Gear 10