Petrified Forest - Yellowstone NP

You should do a post for your trip to Parker Peak.

Reactions: Ben
Have to find the pics....... :(

Reactions: Ben
Woah! I had no idea there was any petrified wood in YNP. Thanks

@Duke , near tower-roosevelt there's actually a turn off from the main loop road specifically for a petrified tree or two, i believe a redwood or a sequoia or some thing. trunk still in the ground. you can see it marked on the park map. go to the site, click view park map low on the left side bar.

@Duke , near tower-roosevelt there's actually a turn off from the main loop road specifically for a petrified tree or two, i believe a redwood or a sequoia or some thing. trunk still in the ground. you can see it marked on the park map. go to the site, click view park map low on the left side bar.

Nice, thanks Ben

Yeah, that one is fenced so it doesn't run off. These can escape.

Whoops, I see a fat finger, Nick can you fix the title header?

Whoops, I see a fat finger, Nick can you fix the title header?

Got it.

And another sweet TR. I've seen the petrified trees on the pull out Ben mentioned, and I've heard there are more out there to see in the backcountry. Cool to see them.

Some maps show a petrified forest about 5.5 miles southeast of this one. Has anyone attempted to find it?

I have and old old YNP map. It shows a Petrified forest nearby, not 5 miles though. Never found it, I think it was off on the map. Something could be there though....

Keith, if you have the map can you PM the spot you have?

@Bob -- that is one of my favorite places in the park (of course I have many). I've been 3 times. My favorite time was with my youngest daughter -- we spent hours up there. We watched storms roll by all day but nothing hit us. We made 4 friends on that trip as I became a tour guide and cheerleader to get some people high enough up the hill to see the good stuff. My son did manage to run most of the way day one year (taking breaks). He nearly fell a couple times but managed to keep his feet under him. On my solo trip I made it to the top of specimen ridge. It's steep -- my cross country racing young niece got winded and dizzy on one trip. I always end up on all fours during the wooded section.

IMG_0010.JPG IMG_0028.JPG IMG_0033.JPG IMG_0038.JPG

Last edited:
Yep it is steep getting to the trees...

Similar threads
Thread starter Title Forum Replies Date
Titans Petrified Forest NP - Photos Everything Else 3
Rockskipper @Bob or anyone know why they closed down part of the forest near W. Yellowstone? General Discussion 6
Dreamer El Yunque National Forest Hiking & Camping 3
TeamJenkins17 2022 Teton Wilderness/Shoshone National Forest Trip Trip Planning 0
Tim Valentine Brazil: Amazonian Forest Everything Else 2
fossana CA statewide National Forest closure through 17 Sep General Discussion 1
NorthwestWanderer Washingtons Okanogan National Forest : PCT/grass hopper pass Backpacking 7
wsp_scott Ancient Bristlecone Pine Forest Hiking & Camping 1
NorthwestWanderer Backpacking Okanogan National Forest : Copper Glance Lake & failed attempt at No Dice Lake Backpacking 2
Pianomover Trump administration Tuesday proposed allowing logging on more than half of Alaska’s 16.7 million-acre Tongass National Forest, the largest intact tem General Discussion 0
Jackson Forest Service App General Discussion 1
NorthwestWanderer Backpacking Okanogan National Forest : Tiffany Mountain Backpacking 4
Outdoors24 A quick trip in the Manti-La Sal National Forest Off Road 1
marquiri Help with Bridger-Teton National Forest Trip Planning 2
IntrepidXJ San Juan National Forest Closure General Discussion 32
McKee80 Allegheny National Forest PA, May 2018 Backpacking 6
Vegan.Hiker White Mountain National Forest (Eisenhower, Pierce, Jackson) - May 2018 Backpacking 15
Dreamer Summer 2012: trip 1: a short visit to a small corner of The Great Wasted Forest of Northern Colorado Backpacking 11
john.maldaner Jackson Hollow Hike (Shawnee National Forest, IL) Hiking & Camping 2
john.maldaner Trail Riding in Jackson Falls (Shawnee Forest of Southern IL) Everything Else 7
balzaccom Herring Creek, Stanislaus Forest Hiking & Camping 2
Angeles Explorer Camping Trip to Frog Meadow in the Sequoia National Forest Hiking & Camping 4
T Hoosier National Forest/Deam Wilderness Trip Planning 2
blueeyes Cross Country Skiing Pebble Creek Caribou National Forest Winter Sports 5
BryanG Stanislaus National Forest - August 2016 Backpacking 4
BryanG Sequoia National Forest - Sierra Nevada, CA Backpacking 5
Dustin Gent forest passes? General Discussion 3
Vegan.Hiker Northern Forest Canoe Trail - Section 2 On The Water 10
Vegan.Hiker White Mountain National Forest, NH (Carter Range) Backpacking 28
Aldaron Pisgah National Forest Backpacking 6
jdgibney Mt. Washington and Mt. Monroe - White Mountain National Forest, NH Hiking & Camping 2
Bob Ever want to be a US Forest Ranger? Take this test and see if you qualify General Discussion 3
SirDonB Pittstown State Forest, Pittstown, NY Hiking & Camping 3
steve Tibble Fork to Forest Lake Backpacking Trip Backpacking 18
Flaminghog2099 George washington national forest Trip Planning 3
Dan Adkison Eagle Rock Loop, Ouachita National Forest Backpacking 6
Yellowstone 1 Uinta's 6/15-6/17 Fairy Forest Hiking & Camping 1
Nick Livestock on the National Forest General Discussion 3
Tyler Upper Crawford Draw, Hidden Splendor Mine, Joes Valley, & Manti La Sal Natl. Forest June 2007 Hiking & Camping 2
isaac Yellowstone NP Campsite Reccs Trip Planning 3
Bob Island Park / Yellowstone Private Airport Development General Discussion 8
TheMountainRabbit News Release: Yellowstone National Park increases protection for bears and visitor safety by implementing changes to two bear management areas General Discussion 14
TractorDoc Yellowstone's Gallatin River -- September 7-9th 2023 Backpacking 12
wsp_scott Yellowstone Lake to Brooks Lake (Aug 2023) Backpacking 16
TractorDoc Yellowstone's Thorofare and the Teton Wilderness 08/09/2023 - 08/18/2023 Part Nine / Day Nine + Ten! Backpacking 20
TractorDoc Yellowstone's Thorofare and the Teton Wilderness 08/09/2023 - 08/18/2023 Part Eight / Day Eight Backpacking 14
TractorDoc Yellowstone's Thorofare and the Teton Wilderness 08/09/2023 - 08/18/2023 Part Seven / Day Seven Backpacking 13
TractorDoc Yellowstone's Thorofare and the Teton Wilderness 08/09/2023 - 08/18/2023 Part Six / Day Six Backpacking 28
TractorDoc Yellowstone's Thorofare and the Teton Wilderness 08/09/2023 - 08/18/2023 Part Five / Day Five Backpacking 16
LarryBoy Select Peaks of the Greater Yellowstone - Second Edition (coupon code for pre-order) General Discussion 12