Peter Sinks

@regehr when we going to go spend the night?

Man, the thought of it just makes my fingertips freeze, and it makes the 12d F Sunday morning where I was seem absolutely tropical!

Its a nice place...... its cold there in the summer even. Sinkhole traps the cold......

I had minus 33 this morning at the house.

One of the coldest locations on Earth in Siberia is similar...look up Verkhoyansk on your weather app. It's a low valley where the cold air sinks and just sits there in unbelievably cold temps.
It's always entertaining to see how cold it is there in the winter.

Does it count I helped the usfs research station doing work there many years ago

One of the coldest locations on Earth in Siberia is similar...look up Verkhoyansk on your weather app. It's a low valley where the cold air sinks and just sits there in unbelievably cold temps.
It's always entertaining to see how cold it is there in the winter.
I have a book THE SIBERIANS written by FARLEY MOWAT in 1971. "The cold of Yakutia is proverbial-and with reason. The two coldest inhabited places on earth Verkhoyansk and Oimyakon are within it's borders. Although they lie four hundred miles apart ,each has recorded an official low of 90F below zero. Throughout most of Yakutia the inhabitants endure temperatures of minus 70F during January and February. Such fantastic cold does not seem to bother people much. At Oimyakon I was told that small children are permitted to stay home from school when the temperature goes below minus 60F. But the city folk of Yakutsk are evidently of a softer breed ; their younger children can stay home if it is a mere minus 50F."

I quoted the authors numbers but Russia uses Celsius . Whatever it is cold there.

Last edited:
My brother runs around in the cold wearing t-shirts and light jackets and is physically healthy and well (mentally not sure). He claims that he's acclimated to it, that your spleen will enlarge slightly to produce more red blood cells if you underdress in cold weather. He also sleeps really warm. I know competitive divers (the ones who hold their breath) have larger spleens which allows them to dive deeper for longer, as the spleen holds oxygenated red blood cells. Whether or not this actually helps in the cold I don't know.

Don't know about that but living in the area changes you.... I don't notice it till it's minus 25

This with Peter Sinks is interesting. JH was 30 below with a big power outage.

Now interesting about Siberia, this region. A place earlier in the region recorded 80 below this winter. And in the town of Essey in Siberia, the residents there say the temp went down to 103 below zero. If indeed so then it would be the coldest temp ever outside of Antarctica. Cold it seems right now is all over the place. Here in North America with all the snow and cold. Asia has been super cold this winter. Japan is getting hammered right now. There was even snow and cold down in Algeria in North Africa. And More. I go to another forum that chronicles and posts the cold Temps that are occurring.

Now think of the opposite. I have lived in JH for years and can take the cold but Not the heat! This winter am here in Southern AZ. For a time. But here are people down here in the desert who has lived here for years. Think nothing of being all summer in 100 or 110 degrees on a everyday basis. Not Me! I would probably die of heat exhaustion. They all say it is relative.