Permits in the Uintas

Jackson

I ❤️ GYE
So this question may be silly, but I haven't found a conclusive answer anywhere online yet. I'm planning my first Uintas trip and want to know if you need a permit to camp in the High Uintas Wilderness. I've seen some say you need one if you're parking near off of Mirror Lake Highway and hiking, but that's it. I know most BCP users have been to the area at least once, so are there different requirements in different areas or what? Thanks!

You don't need a permit to camp, but you do need to pay a fee to park your car anywhere within the Mirror Lake Fee Area, which is basically all of Highway 150 running through the mountains. There are self pay kiosks and a booth coming out of Kamas that is open on weekends. Daily, weekly and annual passes are available. I think it's something like $3 per day, ~$12 for a week and ~$45 for a year. Or if you have the America the Beautiful Pass (parks pass), that works too. Just make sure whatever you have is displayed visibly on your dash or from your rear view or you'll get a ticket.

Oh, and some of the dirt roads from 150 are in the fee area too. Christmas Meadows and East Fork Bear River for example.

Now the minimum is a three-day pass for $6, which will allow you to park no closer than 3/4-mile from any trailhead and have to road-walk the rest of the way. :rolleyes:

Ok. Great info. Christmas Meadows, East Fork Bear, and West Fork Blacks Fork are my options, so thanks for the heads up!

Similar threads
Thread starter Title Forum Replies Date
Jackson 2024 Permits/Lotteries General Discussion 12
balzaccom Permits for 2022 Trip Planning 2
Rockskipper Yellowstone Backcountry Permits Available Online In 2022 General Discussion 72
balzaccom Yosemite...wilderness permits for 2022 are better Backpacking 2
S Havasupai Permits Trip Planning 1
Chuck the Mauler Permits pulled due to fires so........... Trip Planning 3
forest dweller Where to go, last minute, early August, with wife, for 2 weeks, with no backcountry permits? Trip Planning 25
IntrepidXJ Canyonlands Permits going to Recreation.gov General Discussion 4
Yvonne Zion Wilderness Permits and Canyoneering permits opened up again General Discussion 11
fossana BLM looking for input on accelerating grazing permits (comment through 6 Mar) General Discussion 2
Titans Permits car camping Grand Staircase Escalante NM? Trip Planning 6
Shirt357 Indian Peaks Wilderness Permits Trip Planning 4
Nick Permits 2019 General Discussion 44
George_Washington_Hayduke 2018 River Permits Trip Planning 19
T Havuspai Camping permits General Discussion 0
Shirt357 Permits General Discussion 6
IntrepidXJ Day-Use Permits Now Required for Elephant Hill and White Rim Roads General Discussion 9
Keith Waiting for Yellowstone backcountry permits General Discussion 3
IntrepidXJ Proposed Day-Use Permits for Elephant Hill and White Rim Roads General Discussion 4
IntrepidXJ BLM re-evaluates walk-in permits for The Wave, considers online alternative General Discussion 0
woodmaker_58 Teton Permits Trip Planning 7
D Grand Canyon "walk in" backcountry permits Trip Planning 6
Scott Chandler Coyote Buttes South permits Trip Planning 8
S Wave permits during government shutdown General Discussion 13
Aldaron Grand Gulch Permits General Discussion 19
jdgibney The Wave/White Pocket Fri Oct 12 permits for a ride? Trip Planning 1
Deadeye008 Changes for Zion NP canyoneering permits General Discussion 2
Tarp Boy Looking for Shuttle service for Uintas Granddaddy basin trip Trip Planning 0
2eez4life Suggestions: Uintas Backpacking with some rock climbing routes Trip Planning 0
regehr (Uintas) Lake Fork Fun Backpacking 8
scatman Reid's Peak - Uintas - July 22, 2023 Hiking & Camping 6
Upgrayedd Uintas Conditions 2023 Trip Planning 39
NorthwestWanderer First time in the High Uintas | Red Castle SNEAK Loop | I give these mountains 5 out of 5 stars Backpacking 7
2eez4life Uintas Conditions 2022 Trip Planning 18
regehr Uintas this weekend? Trip Planning 4
2eez4life 4 days 3 nights in the Uintas Trip Planning 9
6 Uintas Trip Planning Trip Planning 5
Perry Sunrise/Sunset Uintas Marriage Proposal Location Suggestions Trip Planning 25
N Gilbert Meadows- High Uintas Trip Planning 0
Upgrayedd Uintas Conditions 2021 Trip Planning 9
WasatchWill The High Uintas 4-4-4: Four Basins, Four Passes, Four Days Backpacking 20
C High Uintas Wilderness - Last minute plans Trip Planning 4
Mountain Wanderer High Uintas Wilderness - Granddaddy Basin Backpacking 4
scatman Bourbon Lake, Uintas - July 11, 2020 Hiking & Camping 4
ridings82 Uintas Backpacking Loop Trip Reports 12
Upgrayedd Uintas Conditions 2020 Trip Planning 69
B Uintas question Hiking & Camping 3
Tarp Boy Uintas in late June? Trip Planning 10
Born to Hike Mountain Solitude: Reconnaissance Lake, High Uintas, early Sept 2019 Backpacking 9
Ehouston24 Uintas Loop (Red Castle/Kings Peak) Trip Planning 14