PCT Survey 2023

TrailScot

I always find the annual PCT survey and gear guide an interesting read:

Always interesting to read the gear lists, even though thru hiker choices aren't necessarily the best fit for every backpack trip. Liked seeing the differences from what's commonly seen and what's rated highly.

The ULA Circuit didn't show much difference. Tried to get it to fit me for a month, but no go.:rolleyes: The X-Mids did well too though Z-packs apparently wasn't rated as highly as it was seen. Surprised to not see any Tarptents. Not sure what to make of the sleeping bag results. Most carried near 20F and that was the temp most thought wasn't warm enough. My 10F WM Versalite wasn't common but ranked as high as the 2nd most common.

My base pack weight has been under what they carry (their 19 to 20lbs avgs) for many years

When it comes to gear, I think this survey is the blind leading the blind. Most (though not all) PCT hikers are fairly new in their backpacking career, and it's difficult to do major gear/approach changes in the middle of a thru-hike. If this survey had been around when I did the AT, they would have gotten some pretty crappy opinions from me; it wasn't until after the trail that I really did an overhaul and started carrying more appropriate gear.

Interesting. I was surprised at how few people cowboy camp on the PCT. I would have thought a lot of people would skip setting up the tent during the bug-free sections.

When it comes to gear, I think this survey is the blind leading the blind. Most (though not all) PCT hikers are fairly new in their backpacking career, and it's difficult to do major gear/approach changes in the middle of a thru-hike. If this survey had been around when I did the AT, they would have gotten some pretty crappy opinions from me; it wasn't until after the trail that I really did an overhaul and started carrying more appropriate gear.
Agreed. I occasionally find surveys like this interesting, but generally not very helpful. I've also always felt like "thru-hiking" strategies differ a lot from the "weekend warrior" style that I ascribe to myself (and probably most on BCP) anyway.

Agreed. I occasionally find surveys like this interesting, but generally not very helpful. I've also always felt like "thru-hiking" strategies differ a lot from the "weekend warrior" style that I ascribe to myself (and probably most on BCP) anyway.
It's also interesting in that some brands are overrepresented while other large ones don't even show up. Presumably because the online thru hiking/ultralight community, like most other hobby communities online, becomes a gear optimization echo chamber, and everyone ends up mostly sticking to the same few items. And then those items aren't quite as prevalent in backpacking outside of the ultralight circle. I was pretty surprised by the lack of a lot of tent and pack brands on there, even ones that have lightweight offerings like TarpTent and Granite Gear.

It's also interesting in that some brands are overrepresented while other large ones don't even show up. Presumably because the online thru hiking/ultralight community, like most other hobby communities online, becomes a gear optimization echo chamber, and everyone ends up mostly sticking to the same few items. And then those items aren't quite as prevalent in backpacking outside of the ultralight circle. I was pretty surprised by the lack of a lot of tent and pack brands on there, even ones that have lightweight offerings like TarpTent and Granite Gear.
Keep in mind, the survey's methodology really favors brands who have just a couple models rather than a dozen. So there might be plenty of TarpTents out there, but if they're all dispersed among ten models, they're gonna get lost in the shuffle as compared with Durston who really only has one tent.

That said, my anecdotal experience would indicate that TarpTent's popularity is on the wane among thru-hikers. And that Durston tent is 100% the real deal. It's a total glamping shelter (basically a pound for a cuben shelter will get you that!) but I needed something to fill the storm/bug livability niche and it did the trick.

Out of sight pricing...

Keep in mind, the survey's methodology really favors brands who have just a couple models rather than a dozen. So there might be plenty of TarpTents out there, but if they're all dispersed among ten models, they're gonna get lost in the shuffle as compared with Durston who really only has one tent.

That said, my anecdotal experience would indicate that TarpTent's popularity is on the wane among thru-hikers. And that Durston tent is 100% the real deal. It's a total glamping shelter (basically a pound for a cuben shelter will get you that!) but I needed something to fill the storm/bug livability niche and it did the trick.
Great point on the methods, and I appreciate the insight! I'm mostly an outside observer of UL/thru hiking culture through sites like Reddit, so there's some observer bias on my part too. You know how reddit can be. I was surprised the Durston tents were priced so low. Pretty solid offerings at those prices.

I really enjoy reading those PCT surveys. I don't think I have it in my bones to be a thru-hiker (nor would my family situation make it easy ). Nonetheless, it's fun to fantasize about, watch people's journeys on YouTube, and check out what gear is used. I've often wondered if the "top gear" in these surveys really represents the best of the best or if it's more of a popularity contest. I'm sure it's a mix of both.

I've been in the market for a new tent and pack and going lighter is always appealing. I have a ton on my short list but it's hard to pull the trigger. It feels like a big commitment given the cost of some of these lighter weight options! I usually like to do a bunch of research, buy once, and keep a long time.

@LarryBoy, I'd be curious to see some of your before and after choices - or even just check out your current list of your most used/liked gear. I know I've learned from you in the past as I sought to lighten my pack Do you have a lighterpack (or similar) url you could share (privately or openly here). (Maybe you've shared it before on here?)

Great point on the methods, and I appreciate the insight! I'm mostly an outside observer of UL/thru hiking culture through sites like Reddit, so there's some observer bias on my part too. You know how reddit can be. I was surprised the Durston tents were priced so low. Pretty solid offerings at those prices.
They take trekking poles...... added weight there. And if you dont use them (I dont) they dont work very well.....