Parking Near Zion

Jammer

❤2Hike
Getting ready to head out on my Zion-to-Capitol Reef hike and I may have hit a snag. I *thought* that since I was beginning my hike on the East Rim trail in Zion, I'd be able to park at the Visitor Center and leave my Jeep there for the duration of my hike (and take shuttle to TH.) BUT... after talking to another hiker I'm starting to get concerned that this is not the case; it may not ever be allowed, but even less so now due to construction in the park. I've got a call into the wilderness desk, but haven't heard back yet.

So... anybody have any long-term parking ideas (3 weeks) near Zion? I could begin at the east entrance instead, but not sure that that really helps the parking situation. Any good spots in Springdale?

I've also contacted local-resident canyoneer extraordinaire Tom Jones who may be able to help me out (he helped on my first big hike many years ago.) TBD if the dates will work for him.

Any other ideas?

Of course this is now all very last-minute as I hope to hit the trail Sunday afternoon or Monday. :help:

Thanks.

I bet some local BCP'er would be willing to let you park at their place and give you a lift. Maybe @Seldom Seen Anderson or @Miss Buffalo? Or what about just street parking in Springdale then taking the shuttle from there?

I would also be pretty weary leaving my vehicle someplace for 3 weeks without it being well established with whoever controls what gets towed. Not much help, sorry.

3 weeks is the issue. If it was a few days or...Im sure your car would be left alone but 3 weeks?!

I can for sure shuttle you or your car around just let me know when, how, where! I am also checking with a friend who works at one of the hotels. Ill see if she can find out if you could park there.

Yeah -- I guess all my recent trips to Zion have been in the off season so my perspective is off. Late spring crowds PLUS the construction sounds like it's making for major congestion.

Thanks so much @Seldom Seen Anderson!

I will let you know very soon -- I'm currently thinking about ditching starting from Zion Canyon and instead just beginning the trip heading into the Barracks. This would make the logistics easier and I think Tom might be able to assist me in this scenario.

Last edited:
you're more than welcome to park your car at my place. I would also give you a ride to Zion if there is no scheduling conflict with my final exam schedule, beginning next week into the week after.

Long term parking is always in issue in Zion and they usually do not let you park anywhere for such a prolonged period of time.

Thanks again for the offers of help. Looks like Tom is going to give me an assist and I'll leave my Jeep with him on the east side. To make things easier I'm going to skip the East Rim (and the necessary permit) and just dive right into the Barracks. Just hope the storm this weekend doesn't dump too much water down the East Fork!

Similar threads
Thread starter Title Forum Replies Date
D Coyote Gulch additional parking Trip Planning 3
tomcat32 Sawtooth Wilderness Idaho Parking Passes Trip Planning 2
Craiger Overnight parking in Needles backcountry Trip Planning 1
fossana Found: prescription glasses near the top of the Flipoff Canyon approach General Discussion 5
Rockskipper @Bob or anyone know why they closed down part of the forest near W. Yellowstone? General Discussion 6
Rockskipper You think you found a pithouse, or maybe an Ancestral Puebloan tower near Green River, UT? It's maybe something even more interesting... General Discussion 3
kwc Lightning Strike near Yellowstone General Discussion 8
The Trout Whisperer Dad n daughter trip in the very near future… Hiking & Camping 7
Rockskipper Anyone feel this? 4.2 near Silver Gate General Discussion 4
ghsmith76 Looking for best multi-day Backpacking Trips near Livingston, MT Trip Planning 6
forest dweller Grizzly Bear Kills Backcountry Guide Near Yellowstone, Investigators shot and killed the bear after it charged. General Discussion 13
G Dispersed camping near Zion? Trip Planning 5
Chuck the Mauler Any good day hikes near Breckinridge and Dillion? Trip Planning 5
BackpackingtheSierras Noob near the Sierras Noobs: Introduce yourself! 8
regehr funky salt formations near GSL State Park Trip Planning 1
Stephanie B Fishing (for Trout) and Hunting (for Rock Art) In and Near Capitol Reef National Park Hiking & Camping 7
Rockskipper Wolf spotted near Aspen? General Discussion 17
W Absaroka Beartooth near Yellowstone Trip Planning 3
Perry Any Beta in this Proposed Route Near Coffin Benchmark? Trip Planning 5
Bob Tannerite Fire ---- near Pinedale Trip Planning 7
Rockskipper The bears are definitely out near Ennis, MT General Discussion 3
Chuck the Mauler Trip ideas near or west of Vegas Trip Planning 8
JDWalters Access to Escalante River/Lake Powell near Cathedral in the Desert Trip Planning 7
Mikjik86 Good car camping? Stuff to do near Goblin Valley area Feb 24,25,26? Trip Planning 15
Jackson A Solo Stroll Near Capitol Reef Backpacking 17
Shirt357 Winter hikes/snowshoeing near Fort Collins Trip Planning 8
D Water near EC3 Trip Planning 1
Perry Injured Utah Hiker Rescued Near Kings Peak General Discussion 9
H suggestion needed: 9-day solo Winds near Elkhart Park Trip Planning 5
ramblinman New push for Uranium Mining near Grand Canyon General Discussion 3
Jimmy Best Backpacking Near Phoenix/Scottsdale? Trip Planning 1
JoshuaDyal Crossing the Green River by foot near Gates of Lodore Trip Planning 0
Dave At large camping near Glacier NP? Trip Planning 3
Skiwi Camping near Hanksville Trip Planning 1
blueeyes Primitive camping near Tusayan, AZ?? Trip Planning 3
TrektheWorld Free camping near Vernal or Jensen, Utah? Trip Planning 0
Dave Remains found near Moab General Discussion 1
Bridgette Primitive Camping Near Arches Trip Planning 2
balzaccom Walker Fire near yosemite Trip Planning 1
lostlandscapes Camping at or near Elkhart Park? Trip Planning 0
Nick Primitive camping near Joe's Valley Trip Planning 9
natylka Blm camping near zion Trip Planning 3
TrektheWorld Free camping near Zion Trip Planning 0
F Short Overnight hikes near Salt Lake City Trip Planning 2
katuah Jeep repair near 4 corners? General Discussion 0
Nick Wolf killed near Beaver, UT General Discussion 3
J FREE camping near Zions? Trip Planning 3
Kullaberg63 Surprise swift water creek near Spanish Fork On The Water 5
Cairn you dig it? hello all, Utah Backpacking is here/near... Noobs: Introduce yourself! 7
steve Where are your favorite primitive camping spots near Capitol Reef/Torrey? General Discussion 6