Paria River flows

Carcass

Hiking the canyon next Monday and keeping an eye on the flows of the river. At the gauge where the river goes under highway 89, it says its 21.9 cfs. But at Lees Ferry, it says is 19.7. Anyone here do the hike under similar flows? It's quite a bit above the "norm" especially where it crosses 89.

Hiking the canyon next Monday and keeping an eye on the flows of the river. At the gauge where the river goes under highway 89, it says its 21.9 cfs. But at Lees Ferry, it says is 19.7. Anyone here do the hike under similar flows? It's quite a bit above the "norm" especially where it crosses 89.

I think that was about what we had. Muddy but not challenging walking. I was given the cfs at the contact station and it sounds simiar. If they have a phone they could say what to expect at that flow.

I think that was about what we had. Muddy but not challenging walking. I was given the cfs at the contact station and it sounds simiar. If they have a phone they could say what to expect at that flow.
When I picked up the permit, I asked these questions and more and really got a lot of "I don't know, we haven't heard any reports." But this was at the Visitor Center and not the Contact Station.
The flow rate has dropped quite a bit this week and probably will some more. Watching the weather reports and now Lee's Ferry is expected to be over 100 next week so the last day out will require an early start.

When I picked up the permit, I asked these questions and more and really got a lot of "I don't know, we haven't heard any reports." But this was at the Visitor Center and not the Contact Station.
The flow rate has dropped quite a bit this week and probably will some more. Watching the weather reports and now Lee's Ferry is expected to be over 100 next week so the last day out will require an early start.
That was my experience at the VC. But I was happy with the informative folks at the contact station.

When we were there in late June 2014, the Lee's Ferry reading was in the 2.5-4.5 range. So much lower than now. My member photo is from Paria, perhaps a 1/2 day's hike past the Buckskin/Paria confluence.

When we were there in late June 2014, the Lee's Ferry reading was in the 2.5-4.5 range. So much lower than now. My member photo is from Paria, perhaps a 1/2 day's hike past the Buckskin/Paria confluence.
Thanks. Not expecting anything severe. Maybe more mud than normal, I guess.

Similar threads
Thread starter Title Forum Replies Date
J Paria Canyon-Vermillion Cliffs Wilderness, UT-AZ Backpack: April 26-29, 2019: Days 2-4 Paria River Backpacking 3
cmgz Paria River- White House to Lee's Ferry Backpacking 4
NateGeesaman Willis Creek to Sheep Creek to Paria River - Sept 2012 Backpacking 22
TrailScot Upper Paria Loop Hike - September 2023 Backpacking 4
S Paria Canyon- Whitehouse to Lees Ferry, Oct 18 to 21, 2023 Trip Reports 0
J Paria Canyon - One Day Trail Trip Planning 10
VegasHikeLife Paria Canyon 2022 Trip Planning 1
W Cow season in upper Paria canyons Trip Planning 0
C Paria Canyon water source - August 2020 Trip Planning 2
R How bad is the quicksand in Paria Canyon? Trip Planning 0
C Paria Canyon Trip Reports 12
J Paria Canyon-Vermillion Cliffs Wilderness, UT-AZ Backpack: April 26-29, 2019: Day 1 Buckskin Gulch Backpacking 2
3DegreesSouth Paria/Buckskin Boulder Jam Trip Planning 6
C Paria Canyon in June Trip Planning 2
C Adams Trail to Paria Canyon General Discussion 2
RyanP Buckskin/Paria questions Trip Planning 11
VegasHikeLife Paria Canyon GPS Coord. Trip Planning 6
VegasHikeLife Paria Canyon Oct 2-5 Meet Up (Members Only) 0
J Buckskin/Paria in mid Nov??? General Discussion 4
S Paria Canyon 10/3 - 10/7 Trip Planning 0
J The Grand Staircase-Escalante NM. Paria-Hackberry 10 day backpack April 23-May 2, 2017 Part 3 Backpacking 4
J Paria-Hackberry 10 Days backpacking April 23-May 2, 2017 Asay, Paria, Sheep, BVG, Willis Part 2 Backpacking 0
J In Grand Staircase (GSENM), Paria-Hackberry 10 Days backpacking April 23-May 2, 2017 Part 1 Backpacking 0
MarkintheHV Paria Shuttle Trip Planning 5
Eugene Paria Canyon from White House to Big Spring Backpacking 3
M Water purification in Paria Canyon? Trip Planning 2
Bailey Question about Buckskin Gulch, Paria Canyon Backpacking 9
IntrepidXJ Easter Weekend Around the Paria Plateau Hiking & Camping 1
powderglut 2 Week Trip Paria/Vermilion, GSENM and Maybe Hanksville Trip Planning 4
Howells Outdoors Backpacking through Paria Canyon Backpacking 6
HomerJ Buckskin Gulch - Middle Trail to the Paria Hiking & Camping 11
mattvogt7 Paria Canyon Backpacking 7
IntrepidXJ The Paria Plateau Hiking & Camping 10
IntrepidXJ Annular Solar Eclipse & The Paria Plateau Hiking & Camping 6
DOSS Tour'D Paria -- January 08 Off Road 0
John Fowler Old Paria, October, 2011 Hiking & Camping 7
Nick Buckskin Gulch & The Paria Trip Planning 17
M Lost a drone in the San Rafael River area/below the wedge. No time to hike in to retrieve. General Discussion 0
fossana Colorado River talks in Springdale, UT (March 27th, April 5th) General Discussion 4
TractorDoc Yellowstone's Gallatin River -- September 7-9th 2023 Backpacking 12
BJett Rockcastle River No Shuttle Packrafting - Kentucky On The Water 2
Janice Such a GRAND Canyon - Deer Creek / Tapeats / Thunder River Backpacking 21
Kullaberg63 Suggestions for Escalante east of river, south of Choprock Trip Planning 4
scatman The Gallatin River, Bighorn and Fawn Passes, Yellowstone National Park - September 7, 2023 Backpacking 14
shredhiker Thorofare, Heart Lake, Snake River Sept. 2023 Backpacking 16
Ugly Headless Valley- Film about traveling the Nahanni River General Discussion 5
meowtaingal Wind river high route mid september Trip Planning 7
BJett Packrafting the Obed National Wild & Scenic River - Tennessee On The Water 1
kwc Savage River, Denali NP Hiking & Camping 1
D Wind River offtrail route questions Trip Planning 28