Paria/Buckskin Boulder Jam

3DegreesSouth

Hi folks,

I’m planning a backpacking trip down Paria Canyon the first week of May from White House with my fiancé and dad who’s nearly 80(but fit). I thought it might be a good option to day hike up Buckskin so he can see some of it since he definitely won’t make it from Wire Pass to the confluence in a day with a pack. I’m looking for some information about the boulder jam that’s about 1.5 miles from the confluence to try to judge whether or not we can get my Dad up and down it, or if there’s no point trying. Of course no one knows my dad, but any information about what is physically required would be helpful. He managed the crack-in-the-wall exit from Coyote last year with my assistance.

Thanks in advance. Hopefully I’m still backpacking at 80 :)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

You going all the way through to Lees Ferry or just the confluence and back?

Last I checked thete were two options at the rock pile: down a rope with some moki steps(but supposedly there is a large drop at the base of the moki steps since flooding took sand away) and crawling down through a rabbit hole in the rocks. You should be able to find pictures on the web from people who have done it. Conditions can change though.

Call the blm office and ask what the conditions are at the rockfall. They should have some fairly up-to-date info on it.

As Carcass mentioned, the difficulty really does change from year to year based on the presence of the "rabbit hole" and/or log/rock assists. Getting UP the moki steps would be tough for almost anyone.

BUT... I think it would be worth it to even just go up TO the rockjam, even if you end up not going above it.

Thanks guys, I was definitely planning on asking the BLM office as well. Jammer, good to know you think it’s “worth it” to go as far as the rock fall regardless.

We negotiated the Buckskin boulder jam in mid-November 2018. There was a large log jammed against the sloping boulder in the 'rabbit hole', and a couple of knotted handlines that seemed fairly sturdy (but I wouldn't rely on them). Using the log I was able to get up fairly easily and down very easily - and I am a bit of a wuss when it comes to things like this. The moki steps looked difficult.

Hi folks,

I’m planning a backpacking trip down Paria Canyon the first week of May from White House with my fiancé and dad who’s nearly 80(but fit). I thought it might be a good option to day hike up Buckskin so he can see some of it since he definitely won’t make it from Wire Pass to the confluence in a day with a pack. I’m looking for some information about the boulder jam that’s about 1.5 miles from the confluence to try to judge whether or not we can get my Dad up and down it, or if there’s no point trying. Of course no one knows my dad, but any information about what is physically required would be helpful. He managed the crack-in-the-wall exit from Coyote last year with my assistance.

Thanks in advance. Hopefully I’m still backpacking at 80 :)

Great to hear that your dad's still so fit and capable. Wonderful that you can do this trip together. We hiked down from the other direction (Wire Pass to Buckskin to Paria) and I don't know what it's like going up the jam. I agree that it would be good to head up Buckskin even if you don't make it past that point. Have a GREAT time - it's terrific!

Thanks @BadFoot, sounds like we have a fairly good chance of making it.

@Janice, we are indeed grateful for his health and will continue to pack in adventures while we can! As I said I hope I’m still backpacking at his age. [emoji846]