Pack Selection?

NAYR

Ok! So I've narrowed it down to 2 options. I really love the lightweight simplicity of Granite Gear plus for how light they are, they have the durability as well. I rocked the Vapor trail for a few years, recently purchased the Crown VC from a friend but the torso was too small so I sold it off to another friend. What I'm looking at doing is either buying the Crown VC again or snagging the AJI 60 VC. What are your thoughts?

If I can't decide between them a game changer will have to be thrown in the mix and I'll probably just end up getting a Gregory Contour... Ugh. decisions decisions. If only real life were this hard?

I've used a quite a few different Osprey packs over the years. This is my current lineup:

Atmos 50
Stratos 36
Kestrel 38
Aether 60

They all have things I like and don't like. I used the Stratos 36 all year last year, even for a week long trip. Probably not realistic for most unless you have really small/light gear and are good at not bringing too much stuff. But aside from that, I absolutely love the Stratos 36. Probably my fav backpacking pack of all time.

The Kestrel 38 is great but I like the airspeed suspension on the Stratos & Atmos better.

The Aether is just too big. I still use it now and then like last October when I was packing a full wetsuit and technical gear along with all my backpacking stuff, but it sure made me miss my Stratos. And I would much rather have waist belt pockets than the fancy thermofit

I picked up an Atmos 50 over the winter. Just took it out on it's maiden voyage on my recent 4-day trip through Llewellyn & Cottonwood. It did great. Very similar to the Stratos but more room and more features which is good and bad. The Stratos seemed to stay fitted better than the Atmos. Both feel quite similar.

I think I'll use the Atmos on most trips now. It's only 2 oz heavier than the Stratos but that extra room comes in handy when you're trying to pack 6-10 liters of water to a dry camp or something. Or The ability to stick a wounded dog in it could come in handy. But I still loved the Stratos 36 enough that I'm ordering another. I completely destroyed mine in the 6 or 8 months I had it last year.

I like the Granite Gear Crown V.C. 60 just because it's "Developed by aliens"!!! It's gotta be cool with a description like that!

I've used a quite a few different Osprey packs over the years. This is my current lineup:

Atmos 50
Stratos 36
Kestrel 38
Aether 60

They all have things I like and don't like. I used the Stratos 36 all year last year, even for a week long trip. Probably not realistic for most unless you have really small/light gear and are good at not bringing too much stuff. But aside from that, I absolutely love the Stratos 36. Probably my fav backpacking pack of all time.

The Kestrel 38 is great but I like the airspeed suspension on the Stratos & Atmos better.

The Aether is just too big. I still use it now and then like last October when I was packing a full wetsuit and technical gear along with all my backpacking stuff, but it sure made me miss my Stratos. And I would much rather have waist belt pockets than the fancy thermofit

I picked up an Atmos 50 over the winter. Just took it out on it's maiden voyage on my recent 4-day trip through Llewellyn & Cottonwood. It did great. Very similar to the Stratos but more room and more features which is good and bad. The Stratos seemed to stay fitted better than the Atmos. Both feel quite similar.

I think I'll use the Atmos on most trips now. It's only 2 oz heavier than the Stratos but that extra room comes in handy when you're trying to pack 6-10 liters of water to a dry camp or something. Or The ability to stick a wounded dog in it could come in handy. But I still loved the Stratos 36 enough that I'm ordering another. I completely destroyed mine in the 6 or 8 months I had it last year.
Yeah I'm not a true ultra light yet. But enough that I can get away with some things others cannot.. I like the minimalist set up for now and I am probably sticking with the crown vc for the near future. 1 cool thing they don't mention everywhere is that Klymit teamed up with them and made an inflatable frame that slides into the vc series pack. This frame adds 10-15 lbs of support and sheds aprx 4 oz. off of a pack already coming in just a hair over 2lbs. How can you argue with that kind of awesomeness?

I have the Stratos 36 as well. Great pack! There's just no way, unfortunately, I can get into that pack for more than an overnight. I'm trying to trim down but volume has been more of an issue of late than weight.

My backpacking pack is a Deuter ActLite 65+10. It is just over 4 lbs (if I remember correctly and fits everything real well, including my BearVault 500.

My trip this year is to the Grand Canyon. I'm hoping I can drop some of that volume. Still wont fit everything in the Stratos but if I can drop weight too that would be fantastic. Might be able to squeeze in a tripod!

I almost bought the Atmos last year but didn't think the shape would accommodate a bear can. Nice pack though.

I just ordered a Gregory Miwok 18 as a new daypack. Looking forward to using it.

If the Gregory pack was available last year (I don't think it was) it would have been in consideration. Gregory makes fantastic packs. I almost went with their Savant 58 but needed a little more volume. I'd go with the Gregory based on past experience with the brand.

I love my Osprey Packs.
I started with an Osprey Aura 65, but it's way too big for me and I never use it anymore. I have no idea what to pack in such a big pack.
I use an Osprey Kestrel 38 for overnight or 2 day trips and for all longer trips my Osprey Kestrel 48.
Both packs are great but being so small I wish I could adjust the hip belt a bit more. I have it tightened up to the very end and my packs are still way too loose.
Maybe I should get a Junior pack?
Does anyone know if I can replace the hip belt on these Osprey packs with a smaller one?
This really bothers me the most during all the trips.

I even use a small Osprey daypack nowadays. Went from my Kestrel 38 to an Osprey Talon 11 and everything I need for my day hikes fits into it

Granite Gear, best I've used in 25 years of backpacking. Using a Lattitude Vapor now, carrys all I need for 2 weeks. Bought a old Vapor trail to use IF the other ever wears out. Don't get sucked in to the 'big names' others are just as good ............................

Get sucked into whatever you want!
Have fun doing it too.
If you like a "big name" and want to pay big bucks, and it fits and does what you want, go for it.

Most packs these days are great, using cutting edge technologies and materials.
Picking a pack is fun and a very personal experience. I don't get around to it that often as I usually have a pack for a very long time. I won't buy it off the internet. When I need one I take my time, go to the store with my stuff to fit into it. The sales people end up hating me, but I don't care.

Having said all of this these are my packs:

For 3 to 4 days I use my my Granite Gear Ozone, it is about 8 or 9 years old, has a few holes in it but is comfy, super light ad can carry up to about 40 lbs, but it is better around 30.

For up to a week (my limit these days) I use my Arcteryx Naos 70. An exquisite piece of equipment, water proof (it has a dry bag closer) and a very unique suspension system that truly allows the pack to move independently from your back, it is hard to describe. But a truly great pack. I bought it about 5 years ago. It has been abused and is still in great shape.

For weekends I sometimes use my Granite Gear or my Clik Elite hiker that carries my camera stuff in a safe way. I asked Clik Elite to make a liner for the upper part so crap does not filter down to the camera and lenses, a major flaw in an otherwise great pack. I have had the Clik Elite for a year or so.

Not to mention most people don't adjust the packs to their torso length. = )

I've been member of "unofficial team" osprey for the past ten years:
Aether 65
Aether 85
Talon 44
Day lite
Raptor

My wife's in the same boat. You do pay more, but we were fortunate to get proform for a few years, that helps! We used our Talon 44's on a two week John Muir Trail epic. And I've used it for every day hike and canyon I can remember. We bought them back in spring of 2008 and today, due to the canyons, it resembles swiss cheese more than a pack.

I've used the aethers for everything. the torso harness is superb, the hip belt is great, and they're lighter than many competitors. You don't have to be an ultralighter to appreciate light, especially base weight light. It just means more room for food.

I've used the Talon the most because of it's design, weight, and space limit. I don't over-pack when I don't have the room.

Granite gear is awesome though and they seem to always get great reviews. And an historical side note when I bought my first pack i was choosing between Osprey Aether 65 and Gregory "something" 70. I chose Osprey because of fit, and you probably should too.

Good luck, and God speed