Pacific Crest Trail (NOBO) Part 7/10

Miya

Because I am able.
Days: 128 - 153
Miles: 1679.2 - 2151.9 (-48 miles due to active fire)
Zero Days: 5

How can I possibly summarize day 128 into a digestible blurb that will not have people wishing I would just stop talking? I probably can't...

This is the day that I would FINALLY cross into Oregon. Yeah, I took my sweet time. It took me 128 days to get the heck out of CA. Lucky for me, it didn't really bother me that CA was long. I knew in my head that I had over 2600 miles to hike, so it didn't matter what state I was in. That being said, I think you would be inhuman if you were not even the slightest bit annoyed at the odd meandering that the PCT takes right before you enter OR.

Really? You couldn't just go straight up, had to take a HAAAAAAAAARD right first? Why not just go straight up?!

Screenshot_20221002-195427_FarOut.jpg

And so, I ended up being very surprised at how excited I felt when I left camp this morning. I wanted to see that Oregon sign, and I was ready to push anyone or anything aside if it attempted to get in my way! We had been hiking and camping with Slayer more regularly. I left her and Tom Sawyer behind and planned to meet with them at the next water source.

I don't feel the need to explain the exact reason I HAD to hike the PCT, but can say it was existential. By this point, I had endured extreme heat, extreme cold, severe hunger, severe dehydration, everything had been in place for a hallucination or spiritual moment. It hadn't happened. This is not something I required, but when you are struggling with your life and what has occurred in it, don't you just want a freakin' sign or answer or help? By this time, I figured it just wouldn't happen and I was ok with it. I had a special moment at mile 700 where I believe my grandpa was watching over me and he sent the rain, but I still had so many questions and so much pain, turmoil, and anger inside. Regardless if the trail provided some sort of mystical answer, I had taken many steps for self improvement before I left for trail, and I knew that overall I was happy and I was making the necessary changes for my life.

But then it happened...Not in any sort of extreme conditions. I was well fed, hydrated, and it was 08:00 in the morning so I hadn't even broke a sweat yet. As a climbed an incline, and the song "Barra Barra" by Rachid Taha reached it's climax, the moment I craved, occurred. I cried for the entirety of the trance, 36 minutes lost in a moment. I couldn't tell you one other song that played. I couldn't tell you anything about my surroundings. But I can recall every second of the visions unfolding in my head. At the end of the 36 minutes I had completed exactly 2.5 miles and had no idea how I had done so. I was in a happy, contemplative daze for the rest of the day.

From that step forward, to present, my journey became about FORGIVENESS. I would never find peace if I couldn't forgive the wrongs done to me, the wrongdoers, and most importantly, myself.

20210726_114900.jpg

Into Oregon, does it look different?

PCT21 0.jpg

PCT21 1.jpg

Was by myself at mile 1700, I attempted a selfie, but it was horrible, so just the marker is good. Surprisingly/not surprisingly, it would rain later this day.

20210726_161155.jpg

The next day would get us into Ashland, OR/Callahan's Lodge. Unfortunately, upwards of 60 hikers had decided to skip ahead to the OR border because they had been playing around in the Tahoe area. So all of a sudden, we were in a huge bubble that would consume supplies and take lodging from hotels. Luckily, we were able to camp in the front of the hotel. I was still treated with a robe! Talk about glamourous hiker trash!

20210727_164619.jpg

LOVED this red dirt contrasting with the lava rock.

PCT21 21.jpg

20210731_112508.jpg

Here come the frogs! There were millions of them over the span of a few miles, little babies hopping everywhere! Mileage was VERY slow during this section as I didn't want to squish any little babies.

PCT21 36.jpg

PCT21 38.jpg

PCT21 42.jpg

PCT21 46.jpg

For some reason, it made me feel emotional to see new life in burn areas. So beautiful. Mixed together, Youth and Skeletons.

PCT21 49.jpg

Fireweed.

PCT21 50.jpg

Made a quick pit stop at Crater Lake to resupply and charge devices.

20210801_105739.jpg

Me and Slayer enjoying some...hard seltzer maybe?

20210801_145850.jpg

Not a huge fan of Crater Lake, it is too big, but had to take a photo...or 2, or 3, or 4. Definitely wished I had a wide angle with me, but oh well.

20210801_182623.jpg

PCT21 61.jpg

PCT21 71.jpg

We lucked out getting through Crater Lake NP, the next day they would evacuate due to smoke from nearby wildfires.

PCT21 75.jpg

PCT21 79.jpg

Camped right underneath Mt. Thielsen. Smokey Evening.

PCT21 88.jpg

Morning.

PCT21 89.jpg

Mile 1900.

20210804_135106.jpg

Sawyer and I would roll into Shelter Cove and STAY for awhile. We had been doing 26 miles every day with few stops and just wanted a break. We would end up taking a TON of days off, after Shelter Cove, but we hadn't planned that at the time.

The smoke at Shelter Cove would be very heavy, but we would still have a lot of fun and eat a lot of food. Unfortunately, less than 50 miles north, a fire would start. A fire that would finally end my Continuous Footpath. Up until this point, I would have hiked every mile foot in front of foot. I had written some contingencies on acceptable reasons for me to leave the trail or veer from my Continuous Footpath before I left for the trail:
  • Death
  • Broken LEGS (yes plural)
  • ACTIVE Fire on or near trail that could leave me trapped and burnt to death
Saywer and I looked for alternate routes. We checked to see how close the fire was to the trail. Ultimately, the fire was close, but it was more the location atop a ridge that if the wind shifted, we would be trapped between the fire and a steep ridge/possible cliff face. And so, I begrudgingly accepted the fact that I would have to return after I touched the northern monument and hike the 48 miles out of order. :( Oh yeah, and the 2,000 mile marker was in this section.

This is what happens when you vacuum seal Sour Patch Kids. Oh mom...

20210807_145944.jpg

PCT21 91.jpg

We were able to hike another 2 days before we stopped 3 nights in Bend, OR. I had a reservation to meet Bobbie and Anthony at Timberline Lodge and because of the fire closure, we were days ahead of schedule.

Found Pho. This would be my last pho till I got back home.

20210811_124212.jpg

Back on the trail again. Definitely want to go back into the Mt. Jefferson Wilderness without smoke. My favorite part of Oregon.

PCT21 100.jpg

PCT21 104.jpg

PCT21 107.jpg

PCT21 117.jpg

PCT21 122.jpg

PCT21 140.jpg

A green one?!

PCT21 145.jpg

Oooh the smoke was getting bad. Hiking with ash raining down around you is eerily beautiful, but tainted with "Well, this just can't be good for me". My throat burned for a few days and my mucous was unusually bloody.

PCT21 146.jpg

PCT21 152.jpg

PCT21 156.jpg

I can still remember eating this. We had been losing lots of hiking time to picking huckleberries. I smothered an English Muffin with Peanut Butter, huckleberries, and poured honey on top.

20210815_211938.jpg

PCT21 161.jpg

It was on my bucket list to photograph a ghost flower. I stumbled across these and didn't realize what they were. So it was crossed off my list and rewritten, because I want a 2nd chance to photograph them and do it better!

PCT21 166.jpg

Man, I have a lot to say about Oregon. It was my least favorite state/section of the trail, but guess it still had its place in my heart and memories.

BEFORE I ever committed to hiking the PCT, when I had just started day hiking, when I hadn't even done 1 backpacking trip yet, I talked Bobbie's ear off about the PCT. When neither of us imagined it would become my reality, we planned to meet me at the Timberline Lodge. One of her favorite movies is The Shining, and this hotel served as the exterior of the hotel in that movie. Now I was here...I had made my dream a reality and Bobbie was waiting for me there...

I teared up when the hotel came into view.

PCT21 185.jpg

PCT21 182.jpg

Hopefully, my mom and other best friends don't read this.

Over the handful of years prior, I had become entirely numb to any emotion of affection. I had lost any sense of closeness or love, including the ability to miss others. It is still an ongoing thing, but I am hopeful it will resolve itself.

And so, on trail, it wasn't a big surprise that I didn't actually miss any human. I did not miss my family or friends. With the exception of my fur babies, who I dreamed of often, AND Bobbie. The only common trait I can identify is a lack of betrayal/letting me down. She has been there through it all. She has loved me and been the friend I could never have imagined. Even with all my bossiness, energy, and insanity, she has stood by me. We would go years without having much interaction, but always found our way back to each other. She is my forever friend.

And so when I saw her walking up the trail to greet me, I cried. I kept it in check, I could have balled like a baby. Instead, I cried a socially acceptable amount. What a friend, to drive so far to see me. What a friend, that I needed when I had been through so much on trail. She was like hugging the only home I had left.

(I tried uploading a video of our reunion, but it did not work).

We had a not great hotel experience here and not sure I would ever stay again, but so glad they came and we could be together.

20210818_101018.jpg

You know, you can get sick of each other on trail.

Screenshot_20221002-193820_Gallery.jpg

Group photo!

20210818_102052.jpg

20210818_124437.jpg

PCT21 196.jpg

This adolescent black bear hiked next to me (within 15 feet) for almost 5 minutes. No, did not STALK. I tried to scare him off, but he just hung out with me. It was AMAZING.

PCT21 210.jpg

Lots of fuzzy caterpillars along the Eagle Creek Alternate. I probably spent an hour just taking photos of different kinds.

PCT21 216.jpg

Oh...did you know that Oregon is DRY? Who would have thought. My entirety of OR consisted of 17-22 mile water carries. Granted, I hiked much faster now, so it wasn't a big deal, but I was surprised. The LAST 50 miles of OR has water in excess though :)

PCT21 228.jpg

PCT21 233.jpg

Yup, unexpected crying again, when I made it to Cascade Locks and saw The Bridge of the Gods. WASHINGTON HERE I COME!

20210820_091022.jpg

Hmmm...there might be some hikers inside.

20210820_091506.jpg

20210820_113648.jpg

Mini monument? I didn't care, I was still excited to see it.

Screenshot_20221002-193811_Gallery.jpg

Sawyer and I showed up to Cascade Locks the start of PCT Trail Days, a large fair...festival? Thru hikers skipped ahead to be there or got hitches back. The town was overrun with fellow hiker trash. We got our resupply and got the heck out of there SAME day. I was hoping to distance myself from the other hikers and get a little privacy again. Unfortunately, this would not occur until the day before I touched the monument. I just needed another storm...

Last edited:
Crater Lake sunset looks awesome, so does the huckleberry english muffin

I like all the frog photos

Huckleberries!!! I'm picking them for weeks now, and on each of my recent backpacking trips, I added them to my oatmeal in the morning.

Awesome shots of Crater Lake. I actually like it there a lot. I went down and swam in the lake and also went to the highest point at Mount Scott.
And yeah, these stupid fires. It's burning up here for weeks, and I always feel so sad for all these through hikers when sections of the trail get closed, as it recently did here in Washington.

Huckleberries!!! I'm picking them for weeks now, and on each of my recent backpacking trips, I added them to my oatmeal in the morning.

Awesome shots of Crater Lake. I actually like it there a lot. I went down and swam in the lake and also went to the highest point at Mount Scott.
And yeah, these stupid fires. It's burning up here for weeks, and I always feel so sad for all these through hikers when sections of the trail get closed, as it recently did here in Washington.

Ooh yes, the huckleberries are amazing treats!

So many fires in Washington around the northern monument. I would have been crushed if a fire had kept me from touching the monument :( Most hikers seem to be making their own mock monuments though haha, making the best of it.

I just caught up and read 3-7 all at once. I absolutely love your photos - the macros are incredible and the big scenery is gorgeous. I cannot believe how much you experienced on this trip and how strong you were to continue on despite injury, illness, and other difficulties along the trail. I am amazed at your determination (and how many miles you can cover per day with a loaded pack in difficult terrain). I hope the trip has enabled you to find peace related to the life challenges you're seeking to resolve. I am so glad for you to have a wonderful friend, Bobbie, who is so important in your life and provides you with such closeness. I know you have more segments coming, and I look forward to reading those, but I just had to let you know how much I wish you peace and contentment.

On a lighter note, I am so curious about whether you'll stay in touch with your tramily after the trip ends. Please tell either now or in future installments!

And I'm realizing that this is what books and stories used to be like long ago - when people would read part of a story in a magazine and then wait for the next issue to read the next part and on and on and on. Even though I've never met you (or anyone on here!) I am so interested to know what happens next!

Anytime that there is an axe in a trip report, you know it's got to be good. :D Almost as good as having a mule in your report. :) Another great installment Miya! Thanks again for taking the time to create your reports.

@Janice - Thank you for your enthusiasm and kind words! I am so happy you have been enjoying it.

Tom Sawyer and I have been dating for awhile now and he is visiting this week. NightRyder was Tom Sawyer's best friend so they have seen each other a lot since trail. NightRyder and I just text each other here and there. Same with Slayer and a few other friends I made.

I think most people create really strong, life long friendships on trail and they were looking for that. A lot of people I talked to were out there to restore their faith in humanity or they were fresh out of high school and college so didn't have strong relationships yet. Because I hit the trail at 32 and already had the best friends I could ever imagine, I didn't have a focus on building relationships or making friends. I just wanted to WALK, so I came back with less friends than most other hikers. I have been considering writing a small instructional guide "Thru Hiking Guide for Introverts".

Anytime that there is an axe in a trip report, you know it's got to be good. :D Almost as good as having a mule in your report. :) Another great installment Miya! Thanks again for taking the time to create your reports.
There is a really amazing photo where I am sneaking up on Sawyer with the axe, but can't find it haha we had too much fun with it.

I love
@Janice - Thank you for your enthusiasm and kind words! I am so happy you have been enjoying it.

Tom Sawyer and I have been dating for awhile now and he is visiting this week. NightRyder was Tom Sawyer's best friend so they have seen each other a lot since trail. NightRyder and I just text each other here and there. Same with Slayer and a few other friends I made.

I think most people create really strong, life long friendships on trail and they were looking for that. A lot of people I talked to were out there to restore their faith in humanity or they were fresh out of high school and college so didn't have strong relationships yet. Because I hit the trail at 32 and already had the best friends I could ever imagine, I didn't have a focus on building relationships or making friends. I just wanted to WALK, so I came back with less friends than most other hikers. I have been considering writing a small instructional guide "Thru Hiking Guide for Introverts".
So interesting. (And I had guessed you two ended up dating - not sure why, just an intuition.) Thanks for responding and for sharing your thoughts and experiences. A thru-hike is not in my future, so I’m enjoying learning from you!

Wow. I'm going to have to go back and read the previous ones. I'm happy to hear that you are finding some of what you were looking for on this trip!