Overnighter in the Alpine Lakes Wilderness : Ingalls Pass and Lake Ingalls

After my monday day hike on Poet Ridge I finished packing for a Tues-Wed over nighter to Lake Ingalls in the Alpine Lakes Wilderness. I've been to lots of places in washington but Alpine Lakes Wilderness is one I can say I haven't really been to yet. Mainly because of the huge amounts of crowds it draws from Seattle. Hence why I spend most my times around Mt. Adams or the Pasayten/GPW areas. I figured if I was ever going to camp in that area it would be during the work week before school gets out. So I went for it.

All I can say is I can see why it's crowded. It's a super short drive close to a population center and it's amazingly beautiful. There is no camping at Lake Ingalls as it's under restoration efforts, partly due to the crowds this area sees (to delve further into it you can read about what happened to the Enchantments and the lottery permit system). The parking lot was basically full when I arrived on a Tuesday afternoon thankfully most were day hikers or people who camped out monday night and were returning.

The hike was scenic from the get-go so there was no downtime for my camera and my eyes. I loved it. In the valley it was almost 80 and was kind of crappy levels of hot for me but as I got higher up the wind picked up and it felt a lot better.

I saw a goat at Ingalls Pass who wandered off when I got close. Once I arrived at the lake I kicked back for a bit and took in the views before dropping down to find camp. Had a new tent along and I did what every good planner does... Not practice set up, don't read directions, just wing it. It went O.K.

10/10 will definitely bring Lacey there.

Also cool info about the geology of Mount Stuart... Overwhelming evidence suggests its from Mexico!

UWv2EPn.jpg

Headed on up
W4Zz1TO.jpg

Esmeralda Peak

x7U14pF.jpg
WUsf4Em.jpg

Goat is watching my every move on the way up.

MYL4U85.jpg

Ingalls Pass. Big boy is Mount Stuart
SoMxeaj.jpg

5PrDB22.jpg

tQaaFva.jpg

4vQ4fKi.jpg

Jz72J1S.jpg

Headed to picture center,right.

9dUnl2n.jpg

Keep climbin.

rNxZ88d.jpg

Getting closer. Follow the green.

xFrDZPZ.jpg

Lake Ingalls! There are 5 perfect camp sites along it which cannot be used at the moment :(
Jp5V2To.jpg

Ingalls Peak watches over its little water hole.
Bgbbkhf.jpg

I wasn't alone at the lake.

fbQ68gf.jpg

Dropping back down to find campground. First one I found was INFESTED with ants. Like, I couldn't sit down infested. Moved back up to mid-range CG's

DIac6XI.jpg
i0j3eJ0.jpg

Almost sunset. A wall of clouds moved in and ruined the to-be alpenglow. :(

Last edited:
Not sure I understand you, camping is prohibited at Ingalls Lake. I see that you chose one of the designated sites, though.

xFrDZPZ.jpg

Lake Ingalls! There are 5 perfect camp sites along it which cannot be used at the moment :(
Jp5V2To.jpg

NWW, I could tell you were in one of the designated sites, I just misunderstood what you meant by, "There are 5 perfect camp sites along it which cannot be used at the moment"

NWW, I could tell you were in one of the designated sites, I just misunderstood what you meant by, "There are 5 perfect camp sites along it which cannot be used at the moment"

Ah gotcha. There were 5 flat areas up by the lake (kind of where I was standing to take the photo) all of them had a sign attached saying "No Camping"

Lovely!!
Why have I not seen a yellow bear canister before...?
What brand is that?

Similar threads
Thread starter Title Forum Replies Date
Blake Merrell 1st Time X-Country Skiing - Alpine Loop Overnighter Winter Sports 18
The Trout Whisperer A Lil’ overnighter close to home Late Jan 2021 Backpacking 2
Jackson Fourth of July Overnighter Backpacking 10
Outdoor_Fool Overnighter on the Chatanika River On The Water 8
Pianomover Overnighter to Caribou lakes in the Trinity Alps. Backpacking 0
fossana Bear Lakes > Royce Lakes overnighter (High Sierra) Backpacking 12
WasatchWill Horsetail Falls: Another Father-Daughter Overnighter Backpacking 3
Ugly the NOT epic- Overnighter by Guardsman Pass- June 2017 Backpacking 16
kimbur96 Davis Meadows for a chilly spring overnighter, Duncan's first ! Backpacking 4
WasatchWill A quick overnighter down to Cedar Mesa Backpacking 11
Ugly Lone Peak Fall Overnighter Backpacking 6
steve What's in my pack: my ultralight setup for a quick overnighter. Gear 8
JaseTheAce Uintas Out-and-back Overnighter Trip Planning 3
mathew overnighter Trip Planning 2
Ugly Winter Overnighter at Lake Blanche Backpacking 6
andyjaggy overnighter in Uintas. Trip Planning 2
steve Invite July 25-26 Utah County Overnighter - Dry Fork to Horsetail Falls to Box Elder Peak to Silver L Flats Meet Up (Members Only) 4
steve Invite Last-minute overnighter up AF Canyon tonight - 5.23.14 Meet Up (Members Only) 6
Nanda Overnighter in Green river Backpacking 0
Howells Outdoors Brown Canyon "Overnighter" Backpacking 1
Udink Quick December Overnighter Hiking & Camping 3
Deadeye008 Logan Canyon Overnighter Hiking & Camping 2
IntrepidXJ Invite Long Shot: San Juan Overnighter Meet Up (Members Only) 32
Go-deep Help Northern Utah Boy Scout Backpack overnighter Trip Planning 8
RalphK Schoolhouse Springs Trailhead in Alpine General Discussion 2
westy Invite Also, Alpine Lakes Wilderness Meet Up (Members Only) 0
Ugly Autumn Afternoon on the Alpine Loop Hiking & Camping 5
S Central Utah high alpine suggestions Trip Planning 2
Kelin Best Route to Alpine Lakes? Trip Planning 4
S High alpine in central Utah Trip Planning 4
Ranger Joe 2: The Great Colorado Expedition of 2012, Pt2...Alpine Loop Off Road 3
Bill Quail Fire: Alpine Utah General Discussion 2
B Beartooth Lakes Info Trip Planning 1
TheMountainRabbit Dana Meadows to Twin Lakes via the High Route (Yosemite/Hoover Wilderness) - August 2023 Backpacking 8
wabenho Big Pine Lakes – John Muir Wilderness Backpacking 6
shredhiker Kings Canyon July 2022 Kearsarge, Rae, & Sixty Lakes Backpacking 8
R Wind River Range: Green River Lakes/Clarks Trail/Porcupine Creek Trail Trip Planning 3
Mikjik86 Another Wind River Trip Planning! Elkhart/Titcomb/Knapsack/Shannons Pass loop back to Elkhart, or continue to Green River Lakes Trailhead? Trip Planning 10
John Goering Boulder Lakes, Tobacco Root Mountains Off Road 0
2eez4life Four lakes or Naturalist Trip Planning 5
WasatchWill WRHR - Day 7: Beaver Park to Green River Lakes Backpacking 15
Mountain Wanderer Four Lakes Basin in the Southern Cabinet Mountains - Montana Backpacking 12
futurafree Beartooth Lakes and Passes Trip Planning 2
Bob USFS cabin green River Lakes, WY Trip Planning 0
travel2walk trip report: Wind River Range – Ross Lakes, Bear Basin, Grasshopper Glacier, & Dinwoody Creek loop, Aug-Sep 2020 Trip Reports 41
marquiri Wind River Range - Green River Lakes Trailhead Trip Planning 9
Parma Sawtooth Loop: Redfish, Hell Roaring, Imogene, Edna, and Cramer Lakes Backpacking 13
NorthwestWanderer North Cascades NP : Dee Dee Lakes & the Mcallister Ledge Backpacking 0
NorthwestWanderer North Cascades - Cutthroat/Granite/snowy lakes passes Backpacking 3
Mountain Wanderer Cedar Lakes Loop in Montana's Cabinet Mountains Wilderness Backpacking 4