Overnight camping trip in MD/VA/WV

shoemacl

Hi everyone,

My husband and I are looking to plan an overnight camping trip for my birthday this weekend. We're looking a moderate trail, about 12 miles total (either 6 and back or a 12 mi loop), and somewhere scenic with water access for the pups to swim. We live in Westminster, MD (close to Frederick) and would prefer driving less than 2.5 hours to the trailhead. We've been to the Harpers Ferry section on the AT and Catoctin Mountains - ideally we'd like to try somewhere new. Saw some posts on Dolly Sods which looks spectacular, but a little far away. Might have to save that one for a weekend trip.

Any recommendations are appreciated! Thanks!

If it were me, I would head south to the George Washington NF. It looks like a 2-hour drive for you but I am always fooled by the effects of traffic on the east coast. The Monongahela National Forest in West VA is another option, although it's a bit farther.

I'm not familiar with the GWNF in that area but I did find a link to a hike there. http://www.hikingupward.com/GWNF/VeachGap/ Not sure about water access for swimming dogs, but a few stops along the local rivers and creeks might suffice. It's a tad longer than you want but I'm sure you can change the hike to fit your needs.

Hopefully others will have more experience with trails to backpack in that area!

Anyway, enjoy your weekend. And as the jokers on this site like to say, the first trip advice is free, after that it'll cost you a Trip Report!

Last edited:
This is a nice loop hike in Shenandoah Nat'l Park that I've done twice. You can camp at the AT Shelter (Gravel Springs) or find a more backcountry site. The drive from Frederick is about 2 1/2 hours. http://www.midatlantichikes.com/id119.html

If you wanted an out-and-back much closer to home, you could start at the Washington Monument State Park (near Boonsboro) and hike up the AT to Annapolis Rocks (lots of camp sites there), which is an outstanding viewpoint. About a mile past Annapolis Rocks is another really nice viewpoint. I'm not 100% sure on the mileage for that hike, but I think it's probably around 11-12.

Similar threads
Thread starter Title Forum Replies Date
natylka Overnight Camping, Hiking and Climbing at Ruth Lake-August 2014 Hiking & Camping 2
Wanderlust073 A winter overnight Backpacking 4
P Overnight at Ice Lake, Yellowstone Backpacking 4
GramaNana Newbie Overnight with REI gear - Farmington, Utah May 2021 Hiking & Camping 12
M Overnight Backpacking Indian Peaks Wilderness or Similar Trip Planning 13
Outdoor_Fool Overnight in the Talkeetnas Backpacking 8
NECoastalHykur Ketchum Run Overnight - Loyalsock Trail - Pennsylvania - 2020 September 26 Hiking & Camping 6
NorthwestWanderer Overnight Backpack to Louis Lake, Lake Chelan-Sawtooth Wilderness Backpacking 4
wsp_scott Overnight bike trip with a 7 year old Backpacking 1
Miya First Overnight Snow Trip...Finally Hiking & Camping 20
Perry My First Overnight Ski Touring Adventure Winter Sports 3
P June Lamar overnight Backpacking 1
Wanderlust073 McCurdy Mountain 6/29 overnight Meet Up (Members Only) 2
R First overnight backpacking trip in Utah in the next coupke of weeks Trip Planning 3
Yvonne Overnight Trip to Yant Flats Hiking & Camping 8
balzaccom Saddlebag Lake overnight Backpacking 0
Shirt357 Overnight to Odessa Lake - RMNP Backpacking 4
P Yellowstone Ice Lake overnight Backpacking 6
Wanderlust073 South Colony Lakes overnight Backpacking 9
P Quick Yellowstone overnight, Rescue Creek Backpacking 21
Outdoors24 Overnight in Capitol Reef: A trip that ended early Backpacking 12
Outdoors24 Overnight in Lower Spring Canyon Backpacking 5
Wanderlust073 Fish and Owl Canyons overnight Backpacking 24
Skiwi An overnight at Lake Blanche in fall Backpacking 2
Wanderlust073 Upper Willow Lake overnight - Eagles Nest Wilderness Backpacking 4
b.stark Sangre de Cristo Overnight Backpacking 4
Wanderlust073 Bison Peak overnight - Lost Creek Wilderness, CO Backpacking 5
N Which High Uintas overnight hike? Trip Planning 2
hamtron5000 Big Dominguez Canyon Overnight Backpacking 0
Craiger Overnight parking in Needles backcountry Trip Planning 1
kimbur96 First Solo overnight, Navigation Trail, Upper Priest River, Northern Idaho Backpacking 10
muir_mountain Austin Peak Overnight: July 2015 Backpacking 8
kimbur96 Overnight at Jonathan Dickinson SP Backpacking 5
kimbur96 Tell me about your first solo overnight trip General Discussion 2
N Need advice for a overnight trip Trip Planning 9
uintahiker Overnight in a Fire Lookout Tower Trip Planning 8
Duke GTNP: Climbers Stranded Overnight in Stettner Couloir Suffer Hypothermia, Prompt Rescue General Discussion 2
AllNightAz First official hike and overnight 3-4 day camp trip Noobs: Introduce yourself! 2
Sarah Quick Overnight Advice? Trip Planning 3
Outdoors24 Ashdown Gorge Overnight Hike Backpacking 5
F Short Overnight hikes near Salt Lake City Trip Planning 2
N Overnight or 2 night trip in New Orleans area (or any part of LA) Trip Planning 5
Ben Sawtooths overnight, november 2013 Backpacking 2
F Overnight trip on AT, port Clinton to pinnacle Trip Planning 0
pixie1339 Invite Overnight backpack in Zion, May 3-4 Meet Up (Members Only) 114
Parma Camping with a double high air mattress? General Discussion 2
Jackson What does "car camping" mean, in your opinion? General Discussion 33
dhertbag Camping at Cottonwood Cove - Coyote Buttes South Trip Planning 11
norwegianxplorer Backpacking SAREK NATIONAL PARK, Arctic Sweden, Camping Above RAPADALEN delta. Backpacking 7
Rockskipper Car Camping Tent Suggestions Gear 37