Outdoor Recreation Majors

Howells Outdoors

Adventure is my middle name...actually it's Keith.
My brother got a Bachelor's in Outdoor Recreation and a Master's in Recreation Management...now he's the director of Outdoor Recreation at a university. Can't beat that kind of job.

Dude... I might be biased but a degree in OR doesn't seem that useless. I can think of countless other degrees that are far more useless. And then there's the vast majority of people who get a degree that could be relevant but then work in a totally different field. Like me with a degree in Political Science working web dev and photography and another BCP member I know of who has a degree in marine biology and works on websites that have nothing to do with it! :roflmao:

And, of course, we all love what my degrees are in and what I do for a living :)

But there's a dirty secret that many people don't realize about getting a job in the outdoor rec field: it's still a job. I think my brother wants to think that his job should be all about teaching outdoor skills to people and taking them to do cool, fun things. Which is why it's even more frustreating when he has to deal with the politics of the university, the problems with personnel, budget challenges, etc.

yeah, i once entertained the idea of an OR degree.
as a young buck back in the mid-90's i was heavily involved in mountaineering up in my home turf, the PNW. My father's friend who guided on mt.rainier, hired me for summer season grunt work, aka sherpa... to help cultivate my desire of OR pursuit. the guide was a people person and had a penchant for introducing noobs to the sport. however, he relied heavily on folks like me to assist the flailing back down, while he continued upward with the able and willing. spending more time resolving peoples issue vs the act of scaling mountains took it out of me. ended up pursuing engineering.

my takeaway: turn a hobby into work and it will no longer be fun.

however, a cool degree in the outdoor industry would be Industrial Arts / Design. contribute to the progression of outdoor rec-ing without compromising the FUN in hobby.

Similar threads
Thread starter Title Forum Replies Date
JamesM ASORA-American Southwest Outdoor Recreation Association General Discussion 1
Pichungo Greetings from California fellow outdoor enthusiasts Noobs: Introduce yourself! 7
IntrepidXJ Gaia GPS acquired by Pocket Outdoor Media General Discussion 18
troy.ayres.35 Invite Seeking new outdoor minded friends Meet Up (Members Only) 0
blueeyes Youtube Outdoor Videos General Discussion 51
SKLund Your Own Outdoor Group General Discussion 5
Nick Outdoor Retailer Leaving Utah General Discussion 22
Ben Your Outdoor Site General Discussion 9
Bob Outdoor Research Discount Gear 0
kimbur96 How many have relocated to be closer to outdoor activities? General Discussion 53
Bob Outdoor Retail Show 2016 General Discussion 2
Parma Scheels Outdoor Expo General Discussion 0
WasatchWill Your First Set of Outdoor Gear & First Trip General Discussion 11
ogg Outdoor Clothing Fit Gear 11
steve 2015 Winter Outdoor Retailer Show Highlights Gear 32
Parma Outdoor Retailer Show General Discussion 7
Laura Outdoor Photographer Photo of the Day Photography 3
Laura I've got a photo in Outdoor Photographer! Photography 5
Tater Head Outdoor Idaho... General Discussion 4
K Dating sites for backpackers, outdoor lovers? General Discussion 2
barl0w Quick Survey For Startup Contest (Outdoor App) General Discussion 2
Laura Outdoor Photographer Photo of the Day Photography 5
Nik Recommendation for Outdoor Handheld GPS Gear 12
Deadeye008 Outdoor Retailer Summer Market General Discussion 3
gloo Outdoor participation survey General Discussion 0
BobFink Recreation.Gov article in Wall Street Journal General Discussion 12
Rockskipper Recreation.gov sued General Discussion 10
BJett Big South Fork National River & Recreation Area Packraft/Backpack Loop (TN) Backpacking 6
IntrepidXJ Canyonlands Permits going to Recreation.gov General Discussion 4
J Lake Mead Natl Recreation Area North Shore scramble fun. Nov. 28-30, 2019 Hiking & Camping 5
Artemus Road Proposed to be Bulldozed through Red Cliffs Recreation Area General Discussion 7
BJett Mount Rogers National Recreation Area - Virginia Backpacking 18
Perry Sweet Snowshoe Deal at Recreation Outlet General Discussion 5
IntrepidXJ Public-lands visitation and recreation, by the numbers. General Discussion 3
Udink Price Canyon Recreation Area to Ford Ridge Hiking & Camping 4
BJett Big South Fork National River and Recreation Area On The Water 1
steve recreation.gov frustrations General Discussion 12
IntrepidXJ Hole in the Rock Area Recreation Study to Kick Off General Discussion 1
Dave Flaming Gorge National Recreation Area On The Water 4
Deadeye008 NeoAir and Steripen deal from Recreation Outlet Gear 0
Tyler Red Cliffs National Recreation area Feb. 2010 Hiking & Camping 14