One More Uintas Day Hike?

Perry

Formerly Cuberant
Looks like good weather on Saturday with a risk of some overnight snow up high overnight Friday. I'm considering either the Notch Mountain Trail from Bald Mountain to the Notch and back, or, Shingle Creek to the lake and back. How well marked are these two trails with regard to blazes and cairns ? In case there is new snow what are the pluses and minuses of each?

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

Looks like my weather window might be closing out....

Detailed Forecast
Today
Isolated showers, then showers likely and possibly a thunderstorm after noon. Mostly cloudy, with a high near 60. Breezy, with a south southwest wind 18 to 22 mph. Chance of precipitation is 60%.
Tonight
Showers likely, mainly before midnight. Cloudy, with a low around 37. South southwest wind 14 to 20 mph. Chance of precipitation is 70%.
Saturday
A slight chance of rain and snow showers before noon, then a slight chance of rain showers. Partly sunny, with a high near 56. South wind 8 to 15 mph. Chance of precipitation is 20%.

Still holding out hope on the weather. Anyone know about either of these trails?

The Notch Mountain Trail is nice. I've done it as a point-to-point starting at Bald Mountain then going around the back, up through Ibantik and the Notch then down to Crystal Lake Trailhead. The Notch Mountain Trail is far more scenic than the Shingle Creek trail.

I've done Shingle Creek a few times but not all the way to the lake. It's always been snowed in when I went. The lower section makes for a good early season trip when there is too much snow up high.

Watch out for hunters.

The Notch Mountain Trail is nice. I've done it as a point-to-point starting at Bald Mountain then going around the back, up through Ibantik and the Notch then down to Crystal Lake Trailhead. The Notch Mountain Trail is far more scenic than the Shingle Creek trail.

I've done Shingle Creek a few times but not all the way to the lake. It's always been snowed in when I went. The lower section makes for a good early season trip when there is too much snow up high.

Watch out for hunters.
Thanks for the info @Nick! Do you think the Notch Mtn Trail would be reasonable to follow if it had a bit of snow on it?

The trail up to the Notch from Crystal Lake TH is pretty clear, right next to Wall Lake it can get tough because of the multiple trails all around that lake. But the Notch is pretty noticeable and just keep going towards it and you'll be fine.

I explored that area with some scouts this past summer, here are our tracks from Washington Lake: https://www.gaiagps.com/public/JneW8W6bcgxRXzc2F0lthUJt/?layer=GaiaTopoRasterMeters

It has a little detour around part of Wall Lake for cliff jumping and lunch.
You probably won't want to go cliff jumping this time of year, but I do highly recommend it though!

I'd go in spite of the weather, as long as you go prepared. A little rain and snow makes things more interesting :)

I'd go in spite of the weather, as long as you go prepared. A little rain and snow makes things more interesting :)
I'm beginning to agree. :)

Similar threads
Thread starter Title Forum Replies Date
John Goering More ancient past from the archives, 1981 Beartooths trip Backpacking 11
kwc More Adirondack Paddling On The Water 3
balzaccom Trail Crews--one more time Backpacking 1
Rockskipper You think you found a pithouse, or maybe an Ancestral Puebloan tower near Green River, UT? It's maybe something even more interesting... General Discussion 3
zionsky Snow, Snow and more Snow General Discussion 91
balzaccom More trail work! Backpacking 0
kwc A Few More Photos from Scatman’s Grizzly Lake trip … Backpacking 3
Janice The Wave - and SO MUCH MORE! (Coyote Buttes North, South, White Pocket, Buckskin, Condors, Bighorns...) - Part 1 Hiking & Camping 14
K North To Alaska - The Aleutians and More Everything Else 3
Rockskipper You have more impact than you may think General Discussion 2
J Moving down to Southern San Rafael Reef Wilderness for two more loop hikes April 13-14 2021 Hiking & Camping 1
Bob Windrivers - More Itching Backpacking 4
J More fine and aesthetic desert summits scrambles Dec. 1-3, 2020 Hiking & Camping 2
balzaccom More Everest Trip Planning 4
Ugly Two More Local Fridays -or- Timp Two Ways Backpacking 9
kwc More Southern Adirondack Hiking Hiking & Camping 5
TractorDoc Anybody Need Some New Pants? Read more if you are a 32 waist. . . Gear 2
Pianomover Trump administration Tuesday proposed allowing logging on more than half of Alaska’s 16.7 million-acre Tongass National Forest, the largest intact tem General Discussion 0
kwc One More Short Adirondack Hike ... Hiking & Camping 0
kwc A little more Adirondack wandering ... Hiking & Camping 1
kwc More Adirondack Paddling ... On The Water 2
kwc Even More Adirondack Wandering ... Hiking & Camping 0
kwc More Adirondack Wandering ... Hiking & Camping 1
Outdoor_Fool More Fenn News General Discussion 0
zionsky More snow on the way? General Discussion 5
DrNed Are There Really More Wildfires Nowadays? General Discussion 7
kwc More Adirondack Canoeing - Mason Lake On The Water 2
ScienceMom Hello from Vegas! And anyone have advice for helping reluctant-hikers enjoy backpacking more? Noobs: Introduce yourself! 25
kwc Even More Adirondack Canoeing On The Water 0
kwc More Adirondack Canoeing On The Water 3
kwc one more Adirondack Canoe Day trip - Fall Lake Stream On The Water 2
Ross Invite Cathedral Valley,Halls Creek.Happy canyon,Bisti,Caineville Mesa + more Meet Up (Members Only) 4
balzaccom The perfect campsite...or more Trip Planning 2
Langdon Greene More Than Just Parks series: #6 Zion NP Photography 4
TrektheWorld Planning a family trip to Utah (Park City + more!) Trip Planning 4
Cool Danish Southern Utah Expedition 2014 – Canyonlands, Sandstone and more. Hiking & Camping 16
steve The More We Explore - Video Trip Reports Backpacking 32
HomerJ Backpacker Mag: Get Out More Tour in SLC (3-26-15) General Discussion 0
Michael B There are more good place to backpack in Michigan than you'd think! Noobs: Introduce yourself! 2
Bob Idaho Mapping GIS - Online Topos and more Resource Discussions 1
gnwatts Once more into Meander Canyon.... On The Water 11
J Apologize, but asking for more Death Hollow tips.... Trip Planning 23
DAA Canvas, more of... Photography 0
Nick Yellowstone: Canyon & More Geyser Goodness Hiking & Camping 5
beneathredrockscott All Southern Utah National Parks and More Photography 5
Tarp Boy Looking for Shuttle service for Uintas Granddaddy basin trip Trip Planning 0
2eez4life Suggestions: Uintas Backpacking with some rock climbing routes Trip Planning 0
regehr (Uintas) Lake Fork Fun Backpacking 8
scatman Reid's Peak - Uintas - July 22, 2023 Hiking & Camping 6
Upgrayedd Uintas Conditions 2023 Trip Planning 39