- Joined
- Aug 21, 2018
- Messages
- 814
I know it is an idea that would be frowned upon by many, but if I had the time and nothing better to do, I'd take it upon myself to maintain one or two of these old trails. I'm sure there is some fine print in the park rules that prohibits such actions. . . or is there?
If not maintaining trails is simply a matter of staff/funding shortages. . . (I have a feeling it is also a way of keeping people out of many areas too).
My efforts would not have to be public knowledge. . . perhaps a secret society of industrious enthusiasts trying to maintain and preserve some of the park's history. We could even wait until we are 1/4 to 1/2 a mile in before getting to work so as not to bring awareness to the uninitiated. Why am I covered in sawdust after a lengthy day hike? Best not to ask questions/nothing to see here.
Of course we would not make any new trails, just give some love to the ones that are already there. I'd probably start with the trail from Beach Lake down to the Grand Loop Road. Beach Lake would make a nice day hike destination and much of the trail was still in good shape when we hiked it several years ago.
Anywho, just thinking out loud. Fortunately for anyone that is freaked out by reading this I haven't the time and have a full plate of things to do. There is always the chance that could change though.
My efforts would not have to be public knowledge. . . perhaps a secret society of industrious enthusiasts trying to maintain and preserve some of the park's history. We could even wait until we are 1/4 to 1/2 a mile in before getting to work so as not to bring awareness to the uninitiated. Why am I covered in sawdust after a lengthy day hike? Best not to ask questions/nothing to see here.
Of course we would not make any new trails, just give some love to the ones that are already there. I'd probably start with the trail from Beach Lake down to the Grand Loop Road. Beach Lake would make a nice day hike destination and much of the trail was still in good shape when we hiked it several years ago.
Anywho, just thinking out loud. Fortunately for anyone that is freaked out by reading this I haven't the time and have a full plate of things to do. There is always the chance that could change though.