Off-Trail Routes in Montana or ID

Joe Hall

Hello,

I'm curious if anyone has any off-trail route recommendations in Montana or Idaho. I know routes surely exist in places like the Bob and Frank Church, just don't know where to start looking.

My partner and I recently moved to Washington from Alaska. In Alaska we had ample opportunity to do amazingly wild and engaging trips every year in places like the Brooks Range. We're pining for a similar feeling adventure this summer (little to no people, remote in nature and feel, lots of off-trail travel, etc.).

Hoping to do a week in July. Any ideas would be great, thanks!

Google maps, topo maps and pics are good places to “explore” a possible place to discover a cross country route that could be doable....only way to know is ta go out n try it. Or head out on a trail, seein a mountain over there n thinkin what would that be like to spend a night by it, and takin off cross country to do it is another way.

Happy trails to Y’all!

The Frank and the Bob are the biggest areas. Tho no trails not so much. Everything down here generally has some kind of trail system. You won't get days on end of no trails like Alaska. Glacier or the Grand Canyon or Death Valley..but they are farther away.

Last edited:
Somewhere where the forest isn't super thick. The Bob and the Frank would be rough bushwhacking in a lot of places because of all the trees and undergrowth. I'd go for the Beartooths and the Sawtooths as top picks for off-trail. Madison and Gallatin ranges would have some good stuff, but it'll still be tough in places and you won't get the off-trail mileage you would in the Beartooths.

If you're willing to drive slightly farther, the Buffalo Plateau in the Teton Wilderness would probably be great for you. Also the Wind Rivers.

Somewhere where the forest isn't super thick. The Bob and the Frank would be rough bushwhacking in a lot of places because of all the trees and undergrowth. I'd go for the Beartooths and the Sawtooths as top picks for off-trail. Madison and Gallatin ranges would have some good stuff, but it'll still be tough in places and you won't get the off-trail mileage you would in the Beartooths.

If you're willing to drive slightly farther, the Buffalo Plateau in the Teton Wilderness would probably be great for you. Also the Wind Rivers.
Guess it depends on how often you'd see a trail. Winds, sawtooths, brartooths, Teton wilderness are crisscrossed with trails

Guess it depends on how often you'd see a trail. Winds, sawtooths, brartooths, Teton wilderness are crisscrossed with trails
I'm just saying you can get good, pleasant mileage off-trail because of the terrain and vegetation. In my opinion, it would not be as enjoyable going off trail in either of those large wilderness areas because of how much bushwhacking, steep climbing, and climbing over miles of deadfall would be involved in most areas. I'm sure there are exceptions to that, of course.

Last edited:
Thanks all for suggestions. I think we're leaning towards doing a trip in the Bob focusing on more remote trails that don't see a ton of traffic (I understand some of their trails have a lot of horses). Any suggestions for areas in the Bob?

There are a lot of beautiful places to see in Montana. I love hiking and traveling in general.
I love traveling to Europe. There are a lot of affordable ways to travel there. My favorite one is to travel by train. I am usually using dbreiseauskunft.com to check the bus and train schedules in Germany.
I recommend everybody to travel, especially traveling alone. It gives you a chance to rethink all the things you did in your life and start something new. A new hobby, a new job, etc.

Last edited: