Odds of getting a walk-in permit in Glacier NP?

Hanne Vlaeminck

Hi all!

Is there anyone out here who has experience with getting a walk-in permit in Glacier NP? I didn't get the trip that I wanted through the advance lottery.

We are looking at doing an extended backpacking trip, either the highline-ptarmigan loop, or the kintla-bowman horseshoe. We have about 10 days in the first half of august in the park, so we would have a couple of days to try to get the permit.

Has anyone tried getting a walk-in permit for a longer trip like this? How early would I have to be at the office? I'm perfectly willing to go out and sit there at 4AM for three days in a row if that would mean I get the permit, but doing this three days in a row and still ending up with nothing would suck a bit.

Also would the chances be a lot higher if we tried getting the permit a bit later in August? (after the 15th)

I know there are plenty of amazing dayhikes and shorter backpacks do to in Glacier, but we really want to do a longer trip, and if the general consensus is that it's pretty much impossible to get the permit, we'd rather go to the Wind River Range instead.

Thanks a lot!

Hanne

Hi all!

Is there anyone out here who has experience with getting a walk-in permit in Glacier NP? I didn't get the trip that I wanted through the advance lottery.

We are looking at doing an extended backpacking trip, either the highline-ptarmigan loop, or the kintla-bowman horseshoe. We have about 10 days in the first half of august in the park, so we would have a couple of days to try to get the permit.

Has anyone tried getting a walk-in permit for a longer trip like this? How early would I have to be at the office? I'm perfectly willing to go out and sit there at 4AM for three days in a row if that would mean I get the permit, but doing this three days in a row and still ending up with nothing would suck a bit.

Also would the chances be a lot higher if we tried getting the permit a bit later in August? (after the 15th)

I know there are plenty of amazing dayhikes and shorter backpacks do to in Glacier, but we really want to do a longer trip, and if the general consensus is that it's pretty much impossible to get the permit, we'd rather go to the Wind River Range instead.

Thanks a lot!

Hanne
Half of all permits are reserved for walk ups. With a little creativity
I think you have a good shot at getting a good trip. The ones you mentioned are the most popular but with a little flexibility you can score a good one.
email me for a surefire way to get a decent trip.
IRG

Similar threads
Thread starter Title Forum Replies Date
Rockskipper What are the odds? Bear bites can of bear spray in Spray Valley General Discussion 3
trustyfisherman Just getting started Noobs: Introduce yourself! 1
Bob Wind Rivers ..... for those getting the itch ........ Backpacking 2
balzaccom Getting old.... General Discussion 2
Perry Thinking About Getting WFR Certified General Discussion 13
Rockskipper Maybe it was the BBQ sauce (guy survives 3 weeks w/ no food or water after getting lost) General Discussion 0
Rockskipper As ice thaws, rock avalanches on Southeast Alaska mountains are getting bigger General Discussion 0
Rockskipper The Bells - yet another place getting overwhelmed General Discussion 19
r3biker Getting back into hiking Noobs: Introduce yourself! 5
McKee80 Getting a late start ... Noobs: Introduce yourself! 2
P Getting water in Yellowstone thermal areas General Discussion 4
stderr Getting back into it... Noobs: Introduce yourself! 4
seekinglost Uintas Highline Trail Solo Thru Hike - Getting to/from trailheads logistics Trip Planning 59
M Getting Naked Outdoors General Discussion 43
balzaccom Staying in shape...or getting it back General Discussion 9
Laura Getting that thunderstorm itch….. Photography 17
Nick Getting into river rafting General Discussion 6
Duke Need advice on getting details in fog/clouds Photography 14
intuitive cat getting photos printed using an online printer Photography 4
uintahiker Thinking about getting new boots Gear 7
R Getting to All American Man Trip Planning 3
seaview53 Chinese Wall - ridge walk thoughts and suggestions Trip Planning 2
TrailScot "I Would Walk 500 Miles ..." - A Utah Adventure - April 2022 - Final Part Backpacking 11
TrailScot "I Would Walk 500 Miles ..." - A Utah Adventure - April 2022 - Part 5 Backpacking 3
TrailScot "I Would Walk 500 Miles ..." - A Utah Adventure - April 2022 - Part 4 Backpacking 10
TrailScot "I Would Walk 500 Miles ..." - A Utah Adventure - April 2022 - Part 3 Backpacking 4
TrailScot "I Would Walk 500 Miles ..." - A Utah Adventure - April 2022 - Part 2 Backpacking 5
TrailScot "I Would Walk 500 Miles ..." - A Utah Adventure - April 2022 - Part 1 Backpacking 6
Perry Confused by my Heart Rate During a Brisk Walk General Discussion 3
Brian Bucca Tips for scoring a walk in permit for Teton Crest trail Trip Planning 0
wabenho Snowy December Walk in the Wasatch Hiking & Camping 7
scatman Red Butte Canyon Rim-Walk - May 20, 2017 Hiking & Camping 10
Vegan.Hiker A Walk in the Gunks Hiking & Camping 11
IntrepidXJ BLM re-evaluates walk-in permits for The Wave, considers online alternative General Discussion 0
balzaccom Do you speak up? Do you walk by? General Discussion 13
D Grand Canyon "walk in" backcountry permits Trip Planning 6
Nick Tightrope walk over the Grand Canyon? General Discussion 0
Michael Coyote Buttes North walk-in lottery General Discussion 0