Oct 4-16: Here We Come!

nick I noticed you're conveniently leaving the state for our visit :D

I'm no dummy! Haha! But your weekends were all booked up anyway and that's about all I could swing. Next time!

You can rent lenses? Don't mean to hijack this thread but do tell me more.

You can totally rent lenses! I've used lensrentals.com and borrowlenses.com. Never done anything local though. I'm going to rent a big lens for my Yellowstone trip in October so I can shoot some wildlife. A lot better than shelling out a couple grand for something I'll rarely use.

You can totally rent lenses! I've used lensrentals.com and borrowlenses.com. Never done anything local though. I'm going to rent a big lens for my Yellowstone trip in October so I can shoot some wildlife. A lot better than shelling out a couple grand for something I'll rarely use.

That is awesome! Alison needs to know about this (that is if she doesn't already know). Would love to play around sometime without committing to the price!!

Thanks guys.

That is awesome! Alison needs to know about this (that is if she doesn't already know). Would love to play around sometime without committing to the price!!

Thanks guys.

If you guys aren't busy on Sunday (the 7th), we are planning (right now) on doing Kanarra Creek, and some easy Zion stuff if you want to join us..

I'm no dummy! Haha! But your weekends were all booked up anyway and that's about all I could swing. Next time!

I'll definitely be back in 2013 at some point, and do plan to do Coyote Gulch (maybe in the spring, though I have a few weddings lined up after April.... Maybe late April I could do it, hmmmmm

Josh that is so tempting but that weekend is Red Bull Rampage and I will be watching the freeriders out near Hurricane.

ah, right on! We are staying in Hurricane, come say hi! Maybe we can grab a bite Sunday or Monday night before we head to Page :)

Sunday night dinner might work. I warn you DO NOT eat at Barista's it is on the main strip in Hurricane. Rip off joint can't stand the place. It gets awful reviews on UrbanSpoon. Went in there for lunch one day with Spencer after hiking Observation Point. Cost us $80.00 for stupid sandwiches.There was another group that had been on the reservoir all day and drank water. They charged for every glass of water and refills.

Sunday night dinner might work. I warn you DO NOT eat at Barista's it is on the main strip in Hurricane. Rip off joint can't stand the place. It gets awful reviews on UrbanSpoon. Went in there for lunch one day with Spencer after hiking Observation Point. Cost us $80.00 for stupid sandwiches.There was another group that had been on the reservoir all day and drank water. They charged for every glass of water and refills.
yikes! Thanks for the heads up. I'll keep you posted. How is the Observation Point hike? Looking forward to a good climb :)

Awesome! I prefer Observation to Angel's Landing. If you get a super early start you pretty much beat anyone to the top. But then I hike it when Zion is out of tourist season. :D

excellent! I look forward to it. Hopefully it won't be too tough, and we'll plan on getting a nice early start (I'm assuming we'll have to catch a shuttle up to the trailhead? That's something I'll have to look into when the time gets closer, the shuttle system)

The first one starts at 6AM. I think they run every 15 min or so and is 80 min round trip up the canyon and back.

Might be an insane thing, but, I've been contemplating driving out to Death Valley from Vega$ on Friday the 5th, leaving very early in the morning (maybe 4AM), spending the day, and coming back in time to pick my friend up at the airport (10:40PM). Would it be worth it to go and only spend maybe 10 hours there?

I've been to Death Valley 3 times and every time it was done leaving from Las Vegas early in the morning and getting back in the evening. You'll have plenty of time to see all the main attractions and you could also reach Racetrack plaia (with the right car)

I've been to Death Valley 3 times and every time it was done leaving from Las Vegas early in the morning and getting back in the evening. You'll have plenty of time to see all the main attractions and you could also reach Racetrack plaia (with the right car)
I would love to see the racetrack, but I can't imagine the stock rental car mid size suv would be good on that road from what ive been reading?
I will definitely check out bad water basin and artists palate, maybe some of the dunes. Hopefully some good photographical spots

I would love to see the racetrack, but I can't imagine the stock rental car mid size suv would be good on that road from what ive been reading?
I will definitely check out bad water basin and artists palate, maybe some of the dunes. Hopefully some good photographical spots

We went there with a stock rental full size SUV, it was a Jeep Grand Cherokee. No problems at all, you just have to go slow...

rt2.jpg

rt1m.jpg

if it's your first trip to Death Valley, skip Racetrack Playa. It takes forever to get there and is it best there in late afternoon.

I would recommend just to visit some of the typical highlights. Early morning at Zabriskie Point, thenBadwater, The Dunes and Artist's Drive are great afternoon locations, maybe Dantes View.

I also went to Racetrack Playa with a stock SUV, but that was no fun with its street tires. I could only go so slow. I camped at Homestake dry camp near the Playa so I could stay until late that day for some shots.

if it's your first trip to Death Valley, skip Racetrack Playa. It takes forever to get there and is it best there in late afternoon.

I would recommend just to visit some of the typical highlights. Early morning at Zabriskie Point, thenBadwater, The Dunes and Artist's Drive are great afternoon locations, maybe Dantes View.

I also went to Racetrack Playa with a stock SUV, but that was no fun with its street tires. I could only go so slow. I camped at Homestake dry camp near the Playa so I could stay until late that day for some shots.

right, the light is better in late afternoon but at midday the stones don't cast any shadow :)

Miss Buffalo did you also visit the Lost Burro Mine ?

right, the light is better in late afternoon but at midday the stones don't cast any shadow :)

Miss Buffalo did you also visit the Lost Burro Mine ?

Nope, I wasn't there. So far I only visited some of the mines in Emigrant Canyon, but there are a lot more all over the park. I usually spend 2-3 days there for exploration

I might have convinced my friend, Karen, to change her flight to Friday and fly in at the same time as me, so the DV trip might be scrapped as we can head up to the Zion area a day earlier... hopefully.​
(though, I mentioned I was going to likely go to DV on my own and I think she wants to do that too, so who knows, stay tuned!)​

Semi-Updated/Stil very Tentative Timeline

My friend Karen is arriving Thursday now, which makes things a little more awesome

Thurs, Oct 4 - Both of us arrive in Vegas by 1:30, pick up car, pick up gear, stay with Karen's Friend in Vegas
Fri, Oct 5 - Day Trip to Death Valley (definitely looking for suggestions/ideas for a single day there, will arrive hopefully shortly after sunrise and stay til sunset) return to Vegas, stay with Karen's Friend
Sat, Oct 6 - Drive to Watchman Campground, hopefully visiting Kanarra Creek in the morning on our way up. Sunset in Zion. Stay at Watchman Campground.
Sun, Oct 7 - Touristy Day in Zion, stay at Watchman Campground
Mon, Oct 8 - Observation Point/Hidden Canyon hike in Zion. Stay in Kanab
Tues, Oct 9 -Drive to North Rim Grand Canyon spend day there, shooting sunset, staying at campground
Weds, Oct 10 - Grand Canyon north rim sunrise, morning hike, pack up and head for Page, stopping along the way, maybe Lee's Ferry and marble Canyon? Stay in hotel in Page.
Thurs, Oct 11 - Antelope Canyon/Horseshoe Bend/local Page stuff stay in hotel in Page
Fri, Oct 12 - Coyote Buttes North/the wave Waynee-ack Camp near CBN (Stateline?)
Sat, Oct 13 - White Pocket with Waynee-ack Camp near White Pocket
Sun, Oct 14 - Sunrise at White Pocket, pick up car (not sure where we'll leave it yet), head back towards Vegas, stop at Coral Pink Dunes? Stay with Karen's friend
Mon, Oct 15 - Karen Flies out wicked early Monday morning, find a good place to spend the day. Stay with my friend.
Tues, Oct 16 - Get to Airport to fly home by 9:30a

So, that's what I'm looking at as of right now.

If you had a full day (sunrise-sunset) to spend in Zion how would you spend it to see the most amount of stuff without hiking too much (we are doing observation point as our 'big' hike on Monday.

Any suggestions for the Grand Canyon North Rim?

Thanks again!