Notch Peak

andyjaggy

A friend and I are running down to Notch Peak this weekend for a quick overnighter. Has anyone been to the area? Any advice? Neither of us have been there and we are not sure what to expect.

One thing though... it could be like hurricane wind up there. I know gusts along the wasatch front are supposed to be in the 30's with the storm coming in. Up high it could be crazy.

Nice shot. I have scoured the internet and any information about the place is pretty scarce, which is part of what is driving me to get out there. I'll report back after the weekend, I'm hoping for some nice light with all of these storm moving in and out.

One thing though... it could be like hurricane wind up there. I know gusts along the wasatch front are supposed to be in the 30's with the storm coming in. Up high it could be crazy.

We haven't decided yet for sure, but there is a good chance we aren't going to hike to the top, just visit the west side of the range and hike up into the canyon below the cliff.

Long, long time lurker here... thanks for all the info over the years from everyone.

I was out to Notch three weeks ago. There was still a fair amount of snow on the ridge. We didn't go on top this time though. I have been up on top through Amasa Basin and then just walked the ridge to the Notch. We really liked it up there, especially once we got away from the ATVs.

I have also been in the canyon on the west side below Notch Peak - interesting area to explore. Stop by the Hermit House in Marjum Canyon if you are out there that far. It is an interesting story. The canyon above the Hermit House is interesting and rugged.

I'd imagine you are already out there, I was rained off the mountain in September. This month it was much better and we made it to the top. It took 5 hours and 20 mins round trip. There was some snow in the drainages but it was often solid enough to support our weight. The whole hike is in a drainage except the final push to the saddle and summit, which is sometimes cairned and has a faint trail. There are branches in the wash and minor scrambles that could be missed if you don't have beta... It's not a hard hike, although I got lost on the tangle of dirt roads out there due to bad info. I'm going again when I have time.

I need to try and get out there sometime. I've had friends out that direction a couple weeks ago, this weekend and next weekend, but my school schedule is so busy, I've had to spend most of my saturdays in the library.

We made it down there, and spent the afternoon looking around. The weather however took a turn for the worst and we ended up not spending the night and just headed home. It's a cool area though, and one I will visit again. The cactus were about a week away from blooming, so I am thinking about heading down again in a week or two, hoping to capture a nice shot of some blooming cactus with the giant cliff in the background.

Similar threads
Thread starter Title Forum Replies Date
Dave Notch Peak, April 2018 Hiking & Camping 11
natylka Notch Peak-June 2014 Hiking & Camping 0
WasatchWill A Night at Notch Lake Backpacking 10
WasatchWill Through the Notch and Back Backpacking 11
scatman The Notch - August 18, 2018 Hiking & Camping 6
stevecochranephotography Notch Mountain Trail - Mount of the Holy Cross and Shelter - Minturn, Colorado Hiking & Camping 4
Perry Tarptent Notch LI Gear 26
JDWalters Notch Petroglyph Trip Planning 3
B Uintas - Wall Lake to The Notch Trip Planning 4
Illuminations2k Uintas - Twin Lakes and the Notch - July 27-28, 2015 Backpacking 3
Blake Merrell Meadow, Ibantik, and over the Notch! Backpacking 18
WasatchWill Daddy Daughter: To the Notch & 17 Lakes Backpacking 34
MtnMatt Notch to Divide Lakes Hiking & Camping 3
DrNed Ibantik Lake - Notch Lake Backpacking 11
Udink Uintas - Notch Mountain Area Backpacking 12
DrNed East Notch Mountain - Uintas Trip Planning 2
JD Notch Lake Trip Planning 2
BobFink Goschute Mountains, NV , Pisgah Peak, Hawk Watch Migration Site Everything Else 2
TheMountainRabbit Ortenburger Lake, Talus Lake, & Glacier Peak (Grand Teton NP) - October 2023 Backpacking 14
scatman Ensign Peak to Grandview Peak - October 9, 2023 Hiking & Camping 30
scatman Yellowstone's Thorofare, Headwaters of Thorofare Creek, Majo Pass, Younts Peak, Bob's Canyon, and Cub Creek - August 9, 2023 - Days 7 through 10 Backpacking 34
scatman Yellowstone's Thorofare, Headwaters of Thorofare Creek, Majo Pass, Younts Peak, Bob's Canyon, and Cub Creek - August 9, 2023 - Days 1 through 6 Backpacking 56
RockyMntCol Trip Planning Younts Peak / South Fork Yellowstone Trip Planning 12
T Cloud Peak backpack Trip Planning 0
RockyMntCol Cloud Peak Wilderness Loop Trip Planning 1
scatman Reid's Peak - Uintas - July 22, 2023 Hiking & Camping 6
W Paper map for Teton Wilderness (Younts Peak) Gear 4
scatman Grandeur Peak - Dragon Tail Route - June 10, 2023 Hiking & Camping 13
scatman Lookout Peak - May 27, 2023 Hiking & Camping 13
scatman Frary Peak - Antelope Island - February 20, 2023 Hiking & Camping 10
scatman Ensign Peak - November 24, 2022 Hiking & Camping 11
scatman Grandeur Peak - November 11, 2022 Hiking & Camping 15
Titans What’s your unfinished business? Hard canyon access, mtn peak, you name it! General Discussion 54
ram Eldorado Peak 2022 Backpacking 3
TheMountainRabbit Younts Peak (Teton/Washakie Wilderness) - July 2022 Backpacking 22
regehr Lookout Peak 6/25/22 Hiking & Camping 3
scatman Unnamed Peak 8194 - June 25, 2022 Hiking & Camping 17
scatman Mendon Peak - Wellsville Mountain Wilderness - June 4, 2022 Hiking & Camping 13
scatman Dale Peak - May 22, 2022 Hiking & Camping 21
westy Invite Glacier Peak, Washington Meet Up (Members Only) 2
TheMountainRabbit Invite Younts Peak, July 2022 Meet Up (Members Only) 11
LarryBoy SLC: Terrace Hills Drive to Big Mountain Peak Trip Planning 16
ram Glacier Peak July 2021 Backpacking 9
scatman Grandeur Peak - January 15, 2022 Hiking & Camping 6
scatman Frary Peak - Antelope Island - January 7, 2022 Hiking & Camping 21
Wanderlust073 Raleigh Peak Hiking & Camping 4
scatman Grandeur Peak Loop - December 4, 2021 Hiking & Camping 4
scatman Dale Peak - November 27, 2021 Hiking & Camping 3
scatman Grandeur Peak - Dagon's Tail Route - November 21, 2021 Hiking & Camping 9
K Kings Peak Trip Trip Planning 6